[WIP|1.7.10] FastCraft 1.25 (Note: All Posts of new Members need to be approved first, so if you press the submit button but no new post appears here, it is in the folder of posts to be approved first, and Player will receive them a few hours later)

• Official Post

Finally someone who posts the log ;)

This further verifies that it's not FastCraft's fault. The components list FC prints after detecting a NullPointerException contains null entries, which will crash func_75068_a aka generateStructure. Check your log for entries like "Failed Piece with id" or "Skipping Piece with id".

By the looks of it this happens if a chunk is being populated near a structure which references components no longer available, e.g. if the mod providing the component was removed or said mod removed the component during an update.

Edit: https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/issues/1686

• Hello Player,

I am just letting you know I agree with the terms you have set regarding modpack distribution and have added the necessary information to the description. It will be part of the pack I put together called S.Y.N.M. - (So You Need Mods?) on the TechnicPlatform and hosted through there web server/API TechnicSolder. The link to the pack is here.

• When this issue happened to me, I did recently disable Forestry Bees, and after checking through the proper logs, I can verify that a 'Skipping Piece with id' message was send previously.

• Official Post

Resource monitor with FastCraft enabled and texture pack selected upon joining SMP server:

• Private: 3.6G
    • Working Set: 4.3G
    • Commit: 3.9G
    • Available: 0G (every tool I use shows the memory pegged and using swap, system exhibiting behavior of memory starvation)

You are using 64 bit Java? The working set size is suspiciously close to what a 32 bit program on a 64 bit OS may have available. With 3 GB heap the remaining 1 GB would be insufficient to hold the texture data in the OpenGL client. Where did the remainder of your 8 GB RAM go?

I've calculated a total extra of 500-600 MB with this texture pack when using FastCraft, not taking memory savings elsewhere into account. The block texture atlas is 8192*8192 px with almost 10k individual textures, the items one is 8192*4096 px. It'd be interesting to know what "/csampler memory" reports besides the task manager readings (see 2nd spoiler in the op) to know how heap memory behaves. I unfortunately can't compare against Vanilla myself, since I'm running into a bug when using its stitcher instead of FastCraft's -_-

I've already changed some code to reduce peak memory usage during startup. Additionally I could disable an optimization which is memory intense with such large texture packs, 64x textures use 16 times as much memory as the normal 16x ones. I'll need the extra data from sampler before being able to determine a decent threshold for this. Taking the optimization out is not an option since it's quite beneficial with enough RAM or smaller textures.

• You are using 64 bit Java? The working set size is suspiciously close to what a 32 bit program on a 64 bit OS may have available. With 3 GB heap the remaining 1 GB would be insufficient to hold the texture data in the OpenGL client. Where did the remainder of your 8 GB RAM go?

I've calculated a total extra of 500-600 MB with this texture pack when using FastCraft, not taking memory savings elsewhere into account. The block texture atlas is 8192*8192 px with almost 10k individual textures, the items one is 8192*4096 px. It'd be interesting to know what "/csampler memory" reports besides the task manager readings (see 2nd spoiler in the op) to know how heap memory behaves. I unfortunately can't compare against Vanilla myself, since I'm running into a bug when using its stitcher instead of FastCraft's -_-

I've already changed some code to reduce peak memory usage during startup. Additionally I could disable an optimization which is memory intense with such large texture packs, 64x textures use 16 times as much memory as the normal 16x ones. I'll need the extra data from sampler before being able to determine a decent threshold for this. Taking the optimization out is not an option since it's quite beneficial with enough RAM or smaller textures.

Trying to run anything while this issue is happening is nearly impossible. Where did the rest of my memory go? That's a very good question. With FC in something is basically blowing through 6G of physical RAM and rolling over into swap which brings the machine to its knees. Unfortunately it's not being reported well (<sigh> Windows) and not be attributed to the Java process itself, at least with system tools. I don't currently have the hours it would take to iterate through some regression style testing. Given enough spare time I could pull up VisualVM and dig down into things at the class or thread level. I'll just have to pass on things for now. Thank you very much for your time so far.

• Hello Player,

I am just letting you know I agree with the terms you have set regarding modpack distribution and have added the necessary information to the description. It will be part of the pack I put together for the /r/AlienMC subreddit. A link to our reddit is here.

• Player,
    I acknowledge and accept your redistribution terms, and have added a complying notice to the descriptive page of my STRICTLY PRIVATE mod pack, to which I will provide you with a link if you wish.

Also, thanks again for your hard work. :)

• Player,
    I agree to your terms, and will be adding both your mod and notice to my mod pack upon its next update. The mod pack is Phoenix on the FTB launcher. It is public but unlisted.
    Thanks

• I will add Fastcraft to the next update of my Modpack (UnPureCraft) and i agree to your terms of use.
    The description will be edited after the update is done.
    Modpack informations can be found here.

• I ran into a crash that looks like an issue between Biomes O Plenty and Fastcraft. It seems to occur rarely during worldgen. If I restart the game it comes up fine. I can expect to eventually get another such crash if I'm generating new terrain.

I'm running a normal world type (BOP just for Mystcraft pages) for a pretty standard looking overworld with the extra BOP stuff like leaves, miner's delight, etc.

http://paste.ee/p/E9YN5

• Interesting. I presume *any* mod that runs decoration (anything that adds ores, flowers, trees, anything?) could hypothetically cause this. Right?

• Oh. Description now says you'd like to know if we use Fastcraft in a modpack.

I'll make it short. As soon as my pack, Grind-Complex, gets accepted, I'll use FastCraft as a strongly recommended optional mod.

Is all.

Thanks for the work !

Arch,

[1.7.10][Kirara] New administrator of Kirara servers. A serie of well-made hardmode GregTech server. Come join the fun. ;]

• I believe it's something on the order of 1 crash per X chunks generated, with that X sitting probably in the low triple digits. I need more samples to get a better estimation.

Mods with worldgen include Rotarycraft, Chromaticraft, AE2, Railcraft, Electricraft, Reactorcraft, Thermal Foundation, Underground Biomes, Special Mobs, Deadly World, Botania, Biomes O' Plenty, and Ars Magica 2.

• Dear Player
    I would like to use your awesome mod in my mod pack "SmileLawnComplexPack"
    And thank's for your hard work :thumbup:
    This pack is a private now but in the future it will be public :rolleyes: