Windmills

• Official Post

I'm here to just throw my ideas about the windmills and how it should work.

About material cost and individual energy production:

First, windmills should have 3 tiers, Basic, Advanced (like the induction furnace) and Industrial.
    Tier 1 windmills are made with 1 basic machine casing, 2 iron shafts and 6 iron plates.
    Tier 2 windmills are made with 1 advanced machine casing, 2 steel shafts and 6 dense steel plates.
    Tier 3 windmills are made with 1 tier 2 windmill, 2 advanced alloy shafts and 6 (reinforced) iridium plates.

Rotors efficiency are as follows:
    Wood: 15%
    Iron: 60%
    Steel: 80%
    Carbon: 100%
    Advanced Iridium Alloy: 50% (Adv Ir Alloy rotors last forever and does not wear down, but its weight reduces its efficiency)

Rotors, those should have variable sizes, for people's different needs (and avoid excessive spam of windmills for high power systems) :
    Small Rotors are made with 4 blades and iron fence. These all occupy a space of a 3x3 square in the front of the windmill.
    Small blades are made with 6 material + "glue" material
    Wood: 6 plank and 3 sticky resin.
    Iron: 6 iron plates and 3 iron fences.
    Steel 6 steel plates and 3 iron fences
    Carbon: 6 carbon plates and 3 steel plates.
    Advanced Iridium Alloy: 6 advanced alloy plates, 2 carbon plates and 1 iridium plate.

Medium rotors are made with 4 medium blades and iron shaft. These can only be used on the tier 2 windmill. These occupy a 9x9 area.
    Medium blades are made with 6 small medium blades.

Large rotors are made with 4 large blades and steel shaft. These can only be used on the tier 3 windmill. These occupy a 27x27 area.
    Large blades are made with 6 medium blades.

Average Energy production at most efficient height using small rotors:
    25 kU/t * rotor efficiency.

Average Energy production at most efficient height using medium rotors:
    175 kU/t * rotor efficiency.

Average Energy production at most efficient height using large rotors:
    1225 kU/t * rotor efficiency.

-----------------------------------------------

Now the obstruction windmill mechanics:

Windmills should not stop working if another windmill overlap its area (the ~32 block detection in the perpendicular axis, overlapping rotors of course should stop working), but instead reduce both windmills power production using this formula:

Energy generated = Overall (from the rotors n such above) * 0.995^X * 0.95^Y
    X = number of obstructions of any kind other than windmills, Y = number of other windmills partially obstructing the wind.

• And you forgot to add the efficiency of my iridium rotor suggestion :c .

• ^^, well, it's realistic if we add the weight, but I wanted this as a carbon rotor upgrade, having same efficiency, but expensive, requiring 28 reinforced iridium plates.
    May also change the recipe in my suggestion because I don't think 28 reinforced iridium plates is enought for something like this.

• Official Post

I don't think 28 reinforced iridium plates is enough

Think about the amount of iridium that'll need. And the amount of UU. And the amount of EU for all that UU.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Lets count:

3 tiers (3 separate machines with boring and completely unnnesesery crafting)
    5 rotors
    4 sizes

60 different setups for no reason! WTF really?

More does not make game better, it makes game slow and tedious.

My suggestion about windmills:

Nobody lurk around and check rotor every 5 minutes, for this reason windmills dont need any GUI.
    Clicking mill with rotor should install it and give old rotor back (if any) (and automatically rotate to direction).
    EU output and rotor health can be checked with EU meter without opening GUI (and there is no gui to open).

Windmill should have kinetic generator as recipe component and be embedded into single hull, anyway mills never placed alone, placing two machines istead of one does not provide any joy.

Only iron,steel and carbon rotors should stay - 3 tiers is top, anything else if overcomplication.
    All rotors are same size.
    All rotors are same durability.
    Only output ratio is different.

100% and 50% and 25%

Recipes for all rotors should be "same".

When rotor durability is depleted - it destroyed completely without trace with exception to carbon rotor that stay permanently but produce only 5% power and can be "regenerated" with UUM or carbon fiber later.

• Chocohead : Infinite energy that is outputed in high quantities come with a price, it's like GregTech Fusion reactor, infinite energy, but expensive.

• Official Post

Chocohead : Infinite energy that is outputed in high quantities come with a price, it's like GregTech Fusion reactor, infinite energy, but expensive.

Except that the time it would take to pay itself would be absurdly high, if compared to a GregTech's fusion reactor, which uses a waaay more advanced tech.

Hey, you're using green energy wind power, don't expect to swim in UUM using it (before i overengineer it of course :3).

RawCode: IC² is already complicated enough, those various windmills setups will give the player a decision of what will be the best cost/benefit, instead of the simply this one is better than is one that is better than this another one, thus lets make the best and completely ignore the rest.

• Official Post

Hey, you're using green energy wind power, don't expect to swim in UUM using it (before i overengineer it of course :3).

That was my point. 28 Plates = 112 Iridium Ore, since 120 mB of UU = 1 iridium , that means 13.44 Buckets of UU. And at 10m EU per mB of UU - 134,400,000,000 EU. Just for the iridium plates. I doubt anyone will keep a world long enough to ever see a windmill produce that much power.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

Edited 2 times, last by SpwnX: FTFY ().

• Meh, for me, it was mean't to be something end game, like when you already have a to much stuff, for example, after you have a laser drill from MFR or a QuarryPlus running at full speed, both collection loads of stuff, and I think that is the price to pay to have a lot of infinite EU.

Edit : 134'400'000'000 vs Infinite ?
    Not even near.
    ;)

• Official Post

Edit : 134'400'000'000 vs Infinite ?
    Not even near.

You forget, it's infinite time too. I for one don't leave my single player world open for the rest of the life of my PC, and you still need your 134,500 million EU to start with.

I see this too much.

• Chocohead & SpwnX : Yeah, I understand what do you guys mean, but I based myself on the fact that you can also get a lot of Iridium from dungeon loot, thats why I said 28 plate is a minimum, because in my single player world (without MFR and quarry+), I have a LOT of iridium from dungeons, thats why I said that ^^.

Edit : And I may change the recipe in my suggestion, because you convinced me guys, I will change some of the Iridium plates with diamonds.

• SpwnX: You should think about the weight increasing when rotors get bigger so I would love to see that you need to place your windmill higher when using a bigger rotor. Also it wouldn't be very logical to have a windmill with a 27x27 rotor running in your garden (even if very slow because there is no wind down there). I think the rotor sizes should have a basic level where they start working.

My suggestion would be:
    small rotors start working on level 80.
    medium rotors start working on level 100.
    big rotors start working on level 120.

And yeah I know you can just build a 1x1 dirt tower to avoid this but I think it would add a logical aspect to windmills and it would be really weird to see windmills with big rotors near the ground working.

And black to the blind we seem to be.

• True. I just never played IC2 ex because my PC is not good enough so I forgot that there was a unit for wind. But your idea would have pretty much the same effect so I am fine with it :D

And black to the blind we seem to be.

• Can someone made a little tutorial please on this please ? mybe just some screenshoots.

And one question...on the new kinetik windmills...is there maximal height ?..or can be that new windmill destroyed by wind ?

• I was going to make a new thread for a windmill suggestion, but considering SpwnX pretty much explained perfectly what I wanted to suggest anyways, I'm merely going to bump this thread.

But mostly the unbreakable rotors part. Wether on old plain windmills or on the new kinetic windmills; those things are simply beautiful and make worlds really come alive... And in a bad way if you come back after mining only to find that all your windmills have had their rotors degrade...