Difference between life and Industrial Craft 2 or GregTech

• Official Post

Would only be able to watch it once though :P

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Official Post

Only because your lifetime would end right there and then :P

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

To be honest I'd never rather touch a live wire at all. How do you guys manage to accidentally do it, and find it's fine? :P

I see this too much.

• Official Post

I always thought that it was current that was dangerous, not voltage. But any number higher than fits in a battery sounds scary.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

I always hear it is the current aswell, and if we go by formulas of voltage and amperage relation, the lower the voltage, the higher the amperage, right?

Shockingly surprising it would be to find out that my household plug is more dangerous than the 220V one (for the air conditioner and showers).

Anyways, i bet theres some energy limiter before the energy comes to the house.

• I always hear it is the current aswell, and if we go by formulas of voltage and amperage relation, the lower the voltage, the higher the amperage, right?

Shockingly surprising it would be to find out that my household plug is more dangerous than the 220V one (for the air conditioner and showers).

Anyways, i bet theres some energy limiter before the energy comes to the house.

Voltage / Resistance = Amperage.

The danger for the body is the amperage, exposure time and where the current goes through the body. Does the current go through the heart, a really small current can be deadly. Only going through an arm or leg, a high current with long exposure time can burn the flesh and poison the blood that way.

Electric fences have voltages of 1000V - 10.000V but only short low current shocks. That way they are not dangerous but hurt a lot.

The resistance of the human body can vary a lot from person to person or thick rubber shoes can insulate to the ground. In germany, voltages below 60V AC or 110V DC are considered as protection low voltage, not dangerous anymore in most cases (AC more dangerous since varing voltage does effect the heart more).

Another good thing to know, fuses do not protect you against shocks, they protect against short circuits melting wires and starting a fire. To protect against shocks, residual-current devices (RCD) are needed. Good ones react agains faults less then 30 mA in less then 0.2 sec. And even then touching is dangerous.

220 VAC won't kill healthy normal adult. Even 380V AC. I tried this once (accidentally). :S

Actually a 380V is made of 3 220V cables that run out of phase. So touching only one wire shocks you with 220V. Only touching 2 wires at the same time shocks with 380V.

• Official Post

To protect against shocks, residual-current devices (RCD) are needed. Good ones react agains faults less then 30 mA in less then 0.2 sec. And even then touching is dangerous.

Well, RCDs... \/ (that one was the one of my apartment) I bet touching those bare cables would give me a shocking experience, heh.

• Actually a 380V is made of 3 220V cables that run out of phase. So touching only one wire shocks you with 220V. Only touching 2 wires at the same time shocks with 380V.

Yes, i know. I should explain, whats happened. I was working on a side job, bringing distant system of opening fire water shutter back to live. Old wires was barbarically cutted, and were was no documentation at all, so i need to define, where is they laid. I opened a junction box, and guess "this amount of wires in cable a same, as in target, probably this is a cable i searching for".To find correct wires i short-circuit them at other side, so i took off an insulation and clamped probes of my multimeter with my naked hands. After i was shaked for i little bit, i step down from ladder, sit down on sofa and place my fingers on carotid artery to find out, is my heart still running. It was. ^^

• Official Post

Only in Russia do you need to go down a ladder and onto a sofa before you check to see if you're still alive :P

I see this too much.

• @Above : Lol

@me : I hesitated to post this, but I almost killed myself ( accidentally ) when I was manipulating ( for a fixing a problem ) some insulated wires coming off an old sound detector ( it was used to create light effects at the same time as music ), I didn't turned it off because my friends already started the music & stuff ( it was in school party ) and then I accidently touched an non insulated bit of the wire, that was normally supposed to be insulated, and bam, I was a bit KO, and it hurted a lot, and for like an hour, I felt kinda funny X( , but I was lucky, there wasn't enough mA to kill me ;), but enough to stun me duh :P

• Well, RCDs... \/ (that one was the one of my apartment) I bet touching those bare cables would give me a shocking experience, heh.

That looks close to catching fire... But no, the bare cables should be turned off, since the main circuit breaker left of the RCD is turned off.

Something else about cable loss: The electic loss of the cables is depending on how much enery is used. For example should there be a loss of 50W with an device using 1000W installed, a 2000W device on the same cable leads then to a loss of 200W. The resistance of the cable is turning some energy transfered through into heat. To counter that, either the cable must be made thicker. Double thickness = half resistance = half loss. But so much copper is expensive, so the other way is to rise the voltage. Twice the voltage means twice the energy transferred with the same amperage and resistance.

I got the training and certification to work on live cables with up to 1000V, but i certainly prefer to use the five safety rules:

1. Disconnect from the mains.
    2. Secure against reconnection.
    3. Verify that the system is dead.
    4. Carry out earthing and short circuiting.
    5. Provide protection from adjacent live parts.

• Official Post

It sounds like those rules have been broken at least twice :P

I see this too much.