Are transformer upgrades still necessary?

• Playing IC2 Experimental ver. 2.2.653, I've noticed that even when connected to what should previously have been considered an EU-packet too high for a certain machine's rating (eg. metal former, macerator, electric furnace), that not only does it not affect the machine, but the machine still runs without any obvious impairments. Has this effectively made the transformer upgrade redundant? Perhaps I'm missing something.

• Official Post

They still are totally necessary, it's just machine explosions have been turned off while the E-net is messed with.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• I guess I should consider myself lucky that it didn't blow me the f**k up when I hooked it up then. :S
    Thought that that kinda thing would've happened when I upgraded the system to medium voltage; so I made transformer upgrades for all the machines. then added some more machines before adding the transformers and realised 5 mins after I hooked them up they should've taken out a sizeable chunk of the part of the base they were in.

A bit of an off-topic question, but I think still (kinda) relevant; are we still referring to packet sizes as difference in voltage? How does EU per packet (EU/p) differ in practicality (how they affect machines) from EU per tick (EU/t). Are packets applied per tick, and so making the two units synonymous or is there some fundamental difference in how they affect IC2 machines?

I get the feeling I should start a new thread with this question... :wacko:

• I guess I should consider myself lucky that it didn't blow me the f**k up when I hooked it up then. :S
    Thought that that kinda thing would've happened when I upgraded the system to medium voltage; so I made transformer upgrades for all the machines. then added some more machines before adding the transformers and realised 5 mins after I hooked them up they should've taken out a sizeable chunk of the part of the base they were in.

A bit of an off-topic question, but I think still (kinda) relevant; are we still referring to packet sizes as difference in voltage? How does EU per packet (EU/p) differ in practicality (how they affect machines) from EU per tick (EU/t). Are packets applied per tick, and so making the two units synonymous or is there some fundamental difference in how they affect IC2 machines?

I get the feeling I should start a new thread with this question... :wacko:

Choco could probably elaborate on why transformers are still "totally necessary." Here's my less-informed info:

I do use transformers because I don't want to update to the mystical e-net one day and craterize my base. More important on a daily basis, it also (as I understand it) allows me to send larger amounts of power around with less cabling: I can pool smaller threads of power into a transformer, up-transform it, and send it away. Afaik cables are still limited to their maximum eu/t throughput, so unless you want tons of cables running in parallel here and there, transforming makes sense.

For your ic2 energy-net questions: from what I understand, "packets" are temporarily(tm) shelved. When you send 128 eu/t down the line, you're for all intents and purposes losslessly sending 128 packets of 1 eu. (Someone may correct me and say that "1 packet of 128 eu/t is more accurate.")

This changes a bit in GregTech if you're planning to use that: power is definitely sent in packages (amps) of energy (volts). So a machine may want, say, 148 eu/t to run, and it could get that power on a cable if that cable supported a) 128V and b) 2 or more amps (and there was a power-producer on that cable able to output at least 2A of 128V). In this scenario, a "packet" of 128V would be sent, plus a second packet of 20V (simplified a bit since there is lossiness on these cables and machines to account for).

I see I'm blurring the distinction between eu and V a bit above. Sorry about that. tl;dr: Sending 2A / 128V correlates to 256 eu/t.

• Afaik cables are still limited to their maximum eu/t throughput

Not that I've been able to tell. According to the details shown in NEI, even glass fibre cables are supposed to be limited to 8192 EU/t, but in a previous game I set up 8 MFSUs in parallel and my Molecular Transformer (from the Advanced Solar Panels mod) showed it was receiving 16384 EU/t even though I only had one cable connected to it, not multiple cables connected to different sides, and I think that even worked with tin cables 8| .

• Not that I've been able to tell. According to the details shown in NEI, even glass fibre cables are supposed to be limited to 8192 EU/t, but in a previous game I set up 8 MFSUs in parallel and my Molecular Transformer (from the Advanced Solar Panels mod) showed it was receiving 16384 EU/t even though I only had one cable connected to it, not multiple cables connected to different sides, and I think that even worked with tin cables 8| .

Boggle.

I'm questioning why I bother to create glass fiber cables at all :p

• Official Post

Cables have no limit on what they can transfer. They never have, simply they used to fry if the EU/t limit was breached.

Right now, I'm not completely sure how it's sending EU packet wise. It kept changing so I stopped trying to understand it. Pretty sure it's just given in 1 packet of the maximum a device can output, and any extra EU left over each tick is kinda stored in the cables until it can be used. Maybe.

I'm pretty sure adding transformer upgrades lets machines accept more EU/t, meaning you could theoretically provide more EU to them per tick.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• The IC2 e-net conversion period is one of the great tragedies of minecraft modding. I'm...I'm not actually sure I can think of a sadder one.

I hold out a thread of hope that its not just vaporware now. It really will happen one day. It really will, self.

• As far as I can tell, even the insulation on other cable types isn't necessary when placed in the world (still necessary for some recipes, though)

I think, because the e-net's switched off by default presently, that ALL negative effects to ignoring power ratings are disabled, including stuff like getting shocked for touching live, uninsulated cable.

I have noticed though that some transformer blocks aren't transforming EU right. Is that a side-effect of a disabled e-net?

• Official Post

I have noticed though that some transformer blocks aren't transforming EU right. Is that a side-effect of a disabled e-net?

Pretty much, Player's changes to the way power is calculated seems to have borked them.

I see this too much.