Energy Net improvements

• Should fixing the energy net be a priority? 27

1. Yes (24) 89%
    2. No (1) 4%
    3. Don't Care (2) 7%

With all of the features that IC2exp keeps receiving ... I must admit complete and utter bafflement that the very backbone of the mod, the EU energy net, is still in a state of complete disarray. I mean ... I do welcome the features and changes, but at the current point in time, EU, the transformers, and the different types of cable might as well not exist. RF is currently deeper in features than EU is ... and that just feels wrong!

To me it seems that the lack of a properly functioning energy net is the reason that many have abandoned IC2exp. I feel that when the energy net again functions with more depth than RF that people will start returning to the mod again. The rest of the mod is there. There are all the features of IC2 classic, as well as many new ones. But ... the crippled backbone is a glaring omission in what is otherwise a wonderful mod.

• Official Post

RF is currently deeper in features than EU is

Uhhhh no. Balance and lack of a generation arms race is a big feature of EU.

You do have a good point about the E-net being broken for a year and a half. I did speak to Player about it a few weeks ago about IC2's direction, he said it was not knowing a way to keep performance with the E-net with it being so complicated not being very motivating to work more on it. It'll get there eventually, but how long eventually will be is another thing

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• I think they should not constantly add new features into a unstable system and make it even more unstable.
    When they make that system more stable it would be better for everyone.
    And to the classic version.
    The energynet is maybe a little bit more stable as the Exp one but it is als very limited to its features.
    But basic systems are mostly more stable then complex systems^^"

• With all of the features that IC2exp keeps receiving ... I must admit complete and utter bafflement that the very backbone of the mod, the EU energy net, is still in a state of complete disarray. I mean ... I do welcome the features and changes, but at the current point in time, EU, the transformers, and the different types of cable might as well not exist. RF is currently deeper in features than EU is ... and that just feels wrong!

To me it seems that the lack of a properly functioning energy net is the reason that many have abandoned IC2exp. I feel that when the energy net again functions with more depth than RF that people will start returning to the mod again. The rest of the mod is there. There are all the features of IC2 classic, as well as many new ones. But ... the crippled backbone is a glaring omission in what is otherwise a wonderful mod.

This one's a no-brainer. IC2 on its own is a footnote in modded memory these days purely because of the busted e-net. The only reason I even run into this anymore is purely because I play GT.

This is really disappointing because the rest of the mod seems to be moving in a decent modern direction.

I did speak to Player about it a few weeks ago about IC2's direction, he said it was not knowing a way to keep performance with the E-net with it being so complicated not being very motivating to work more on it. It'll get there eventually, but how long eventually will be is another thing

This is incredibly disheartening :( "Eventually" is code for "Vapourware." But god I hope I'm wrong.

• I feel like all the experimental additions are pointless when such core functionalities are broken in the mod. Transformers, transformer upgrades, and stuff like that are pretty much unneeded right now, as there is no penalty for not using them. I feel like the sense of progression through the mod loses all meaning due to this.

To the user, EU behaves exactly like RF right now, just with different conversion rates. The extra challenge of what is supposed to be EU is non-existent. I think that's what OP was trying to convey by stating RF is "deeper." For instance, I could install Buildcraft + Buildcraft Additions and get more of a sense of progression than I do with IC2, just solely because everything works correctly.

We're going on 2 years now with a broken e-net. Any new stuff added means nothing to me, as long as the energy net is screwed up. It is a core mechanic of the mod and in my opinion should be made top priority with everyone involved in IC2-exp working on it until it's fixed.

• Official Post

top priority with everyone involved in IC2-exp working on it until it's fixed.

Only Player really knows what he's doing with it though, so the others would be left with nothing to do without adding new stuff.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• I feel like all the experimental additions are pointless when such core functionalities are broken in the mod. Transformers, transformer upgrades, and stuff like that are pretty much unneeded right now, as there is no penalty for not using them. I feel like the sense of progression through the mod loses all meaning due to this.

To the user, EU behaves exactly like RF right now, just with different conversion rates. The extra challenge of what is supposed to be EU is non-existent. I think that's what OP was trying to convey by stating RF is "deeper." For instance, I could install Buildcraft + Buildcraft Additions and get more of a sense of progression than I do with IC2, just solely because everything works correctly.

We're going on 2 years now with a broken e-net. Any new stuff added means nothing to me, as long as the energy net is screwed up. It is a core mechanic of the mod and in my opinion should be made top priority with everyone involved in IC2-exp working on it until it's fixed.

Thats right... The energy net should be fixed and it should have priority...
    But to be sure i do not think that this is gonna happen because they made it way to complex...

The main features which are at the moment lost because of that new Systems are:
    Multi Packets, (Current system do not allows it at all)
    Instant Energy Transfer, (Because the energy gets now transfered through each cable instead of Sender to receiver)
    CableDamage (Hurts when the cable are unisulated and energy flows through them),
    Cable Meltdown (it is totally dissabled that cables can melt down at all),

Also a downside of it is:
    It handles every energyPart (cables included) by himself, so that the servers/clients have way more things to process even if they use an Extra threads for each progress...

To be fair the Classic EnergyNet is als not the best thing in terms of Lag but the calculations at Extrem cable builds are really low... Because only the senders get caluclated and not the wires/cables

My hope is at the moment that most people will switch back from Exp to Classic, not because that classic is at all terms better or something, its a really old version which has less things but it is at some parts (addons not included thats another factor) way more stable then Exp, at least from what i see (and i do not talk about crash proof, i talk about things that are in there are done and work)

• Only Player really knows what he's doing with it though, so the others would be left with nothing to do without adding new stuff.

Do not wonder. Greg should easy understand how it should work. It is maybe way overcomplex but not hard to understand, it simply that he calculate every part of the network by its own, can be compared to EnderIO cables but with less ticking TileEntities, because players way happens on TickStart & TickEnd (and tile entity ticks happen in the between of that) ^^"

• Only Player really knows what he's doing with it though, so the others would be left with nothing to do without adding new stuff.

Maybe he should share and discuss it more with the rest of the team so they can help? Why does such a complex thing need to be up to one person to fix?

I'm sorry, but IC2 classic sucks. Crashing issues are MAJOR. Doesn't matter if the enet works there or not. As far as i'm concerned, "IC2 Classic" = playing IC2 on MC 1.5.2 or earlier.

My hope is that IC2-exp fixes its energy net, and continues to innovate with new features after doing so. Maybe even rename itself to IC3 at some point?

• Official Post

Only Player really knows what he's doing with it though, so the others would be left with nothing to do without adding new stuff.

There are two reasons why I didn't touch the new E-Net:
    1.) I haven't looked into it and I'm not familiar with it and I don't know what is done where.
    2.) I simply don't know how it should work.
    3.) I don't want to throw a screwdriver into an engine to make the whole system stop working without talking to someone else before.

• There are two reasons why I didn't touch the new E-Net:
    1.) I haven't looked into it and I'm not familiar with it and I don't know what is done where.
    2.) I simply don't know how it should work.
    3.) I don't want to throw a screwdriver into an engine to make the whole system stop working without talking to someone else before.

1&2: Start at EnergyNetLocal & look into the addTileEntity function that is a starting point. There you understand how the grids get builded, after that you look at the function onTickEnd there you see how stuff getProcessed.

A little note: you have to know that some processing happens with an Extra thread so if you can not find a path or backtracking something then it could be the thread who is calling that function... (i did mess a lot with it as i did try to hack the IC2 EnergyNet... Well faild)

I'm sorry, but IC2 classic sucks. Crashing issues are MAJOR. Doesn't matter if the enet works there or not. As far as i'm concerned, "IC2 Classic" = playing IC2 on MC 1.5.2 or earlier.

I hope you talk about Immibis version because that version which i am working on (as standalone and with some addons) works without crashes... At least from what i hear and see... (and i talk generally about IC2 Classic not only the Enet!)
    And yeah it is the old IC2 but whats wrong with that its like IC2 Exp but with less crafting steps... But still enough...

• Wtf, since when IC2 classic sucks ? It rocks :D , BB. , if you tried IC2 classic Immibis I understand your opinion, but Speiger has his own classic version of IC2 which has currently no "weird" crashes what so ever, and works perfectly with other mods.

So far I tested, and it works with :
    -Advanced repulsion system ( recipes works, the forcefield blocks will not require power though )
    -Project E ( EMC values on refined iron and different cells has never been so awsome )
    -AE2 ( you can power it, the only thing so far broken is the P2P but I disable this anyway )
    -Railcraft ( everything works except the steam turbine, but it was a bit bugged on older versions, should perfectly work now though ^^ )
    -Mekanism ( Now this one is the most impressive, Mekanism cables works perfectly on IC2 classic stuff, and vice versa, everything works, and Universal cables are nice as EU superconductors and RF converters :D )

Try it out if you don't trust me ;)

• Ninja'd xD : Also before I forget, it also have some nice features which IC2 exp doesn't even have :D ( advanced solar helmet, fluid-o-mat... ) :D

• I was actually referring to the Immibis version. I thought the other version was just the Immibis version with hacky addon support. I'll try it out when I get the chance.
    Still, these days when everyone refers to IC2, they are referring to IC2 experimental, and that's what this whole enet discussion is about.

• That's fine ^^ Also, nvm, Project E emc works with IC2 ( uranium having a value of 4096, tin 256... etc.. ) But I think I added the EMC of the cells myself, but I don't remember about refined iron though ^^'

• True but there are two main problems... (Note nothing agains the IC2 dev team but it feels like that)
    First: most members of the Dev Team are not really accessable / have not much time...
    Second: those that are accessable can not really do something because the code is to complex or they do not have the accoring knowledge to change something so important...

And that is what making that so slow the guys who can not edit the complex stuff waiting for the guys who can, but those invited the people to get for themselves a little bit free time...
    Well that did not really work xD

• That's fine ^^ Also, nvm, Project E emc works with IC2 ( uranium having a value of 4096, tin 256... etc.. ) But I think I added the EMC of the cells myself, but I don't remember about refined iron though ^^'

I really should take the API and make custom values so that the project e do not need to make a custom support...

• It works fine with most values ( by default, all standard metals + uranium is supported, now refined iron I forgot but I also think it's supported as they check for smelting recipes ).

But I know for sure I added cells by myself ^^

• None of the devs have really been doing much to IC2 recently :S

I'd volunteer for being an IC2 dev, but I don't want to fix the E-Net either :P

Help the Official FTB Wiki reach a billion pages! [I had to keep changing it so there ^^]

Someone should fix the gravel texture in the background. It's been years now, come on people.