Suggestion: Laser Tripwire

• A Laser Tripwire would be a block that when powered would keep a constant "laser" between the source and another Laser Tripwire "Blocker", when triggered by the beam breaking the firing block will output a redstone signal.

Laser Tripwires could be triggered by placing a block in the way, dropping an item, mobs, players, you name it.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Well, I think we can all agree pressure plates are meh. Makes irritating noise and can hardly be used for traps...

• Oh, they can be used for traps. You just have to be sneaky while using them.

The panels from Redpower are useful for hiding them too. People just get used to a normalized floor, and WAM their face 'esplode.

• Hello, yesterday I couldn't register, the forum wasn't cooperating.

Laser tripwire isn't only useful for traps. detecting growth of tree/reeds cactus. detect water flowing. elevator construction. Detecting mobs is a Given, but i'm pretty sure other uses could be found. If you look at youtube, search for a Bud Switch. Everything you do with that and more, could be accomplished by a Laser tripwire.

About being CPU intensive, couldn't be much more than tesla plates IMHO. Those guys detect Mobs too. right?

EDIT: another use I've thought out. the Magnetizer, combine it with the laser tripwire and a piston --> seal the floor under you after you got into the top floor. step away (and untrigger the tripwire, the piston retracts, for the next passenger. Cool...

• Official Post

This would probably use similar coding to Redstone pipes Eloraam made, so I don't think it would be that CPU intensive (although I'm just speculating) I love the idea of having a laser tripwire though. Would really give the factory an industrial feel, even if you only use them for doors. :)

• Don't worry about that kind of stuff. Eloraam and her RedPower 2 is going to add a ton of good stuff like that. sensors of all kinds and other machines.

Don't get me wrong Alblaka is great. But there are other modders too.