Suggestion: Nightly builds/More regular releases

• Regularly, it is stated "that was fixed, wait until the next release", is there a reason why there can't be more regular beta builds, or some sort of nightly build? There's nothing wrong with allowing more people to test, as long as you give a recommended build, and an unstable build, and it would only improve the speed of testing. :D

• Official Post

Regularly, it is stated "that was fixed, wait until the next release", is there a reason why there can't be more regular beta builds, or some sort of nightly build? There's nothing wrong with allowing more people to test, as long as you give a recommended build, and an unstable build, and it would only improve the speed of testing. :D

I assure you, there is good reason for not having Nightly builds:

• We have a strong testing team (cvl and Killerbeez break things like it's their job on a server)
    • We're trying to stray away from the 5 updates in a day (e.g. When Al implemented 3 new features and a few bug fixes in one day back in IC1), then having users on five separate builds, all with issues that were fixed in latter builds.

I understand the want for nightly builds, but trust me, our testing team has very capable hands, making your play experience better as a whole.

• 5 updates a day? No! There's nothing wrong with a nightly build, and it takes very little effort. Mojang seemed to have the same attitude to this before they started wiht the pre-releases as the IC team do just now. Note what happened? It was good, more bugs were found, and those who didn't care about bugs got to see the game. People making mods got to see some of the things they'd need to change as well.

I might be lying a bit about the nightly build - it takes very little effort if you have proper version control, and all the developers use it... :p

PS: like it's their job? I thought that was their job! ;)

• Well, I think there's a point in this.

Especially in case of small bugs when you can fix everything within a couple of days and without any major changes.

The best example - electric wrench recipe:

Code
    //I bet you should just need to change itemToolChainsaw to itemToolWrenchElectric (because TMI'd e.wrench works just fine)

ModLoader.AddRecipe(new iz(itemToolChainsaw, 1, 201), new Object[] { "  W", " C ", "B  ", Character.valueOf('W'), itemToolWrench, Character.valueOf('B'), itemBatREDischarged, Character.valueOf('C'), itemPartCircuit });
    ModLoader.AddRecipe(new iz(itemToolChainsaw, 1, 1), new Object[] { "  W", " C ", "B  ", Character.valueOf('W'), itemToolWrench, Character.valueOf('B'), new iz(itemBatRE, 1, 1), Character.valueOf('C'), itemPartCircuit });
  • I think 1.8.1 version with bugfixes will be enough... BC2.2 was uploaded and Eloraam said she will try upload RP as soon as possible.
    ps. and I hope Optifine will finish forge version too X(

• Official Post

Do mind that forge was just updated, we were using a non public build of it to test and work out map ruining bugs. Be glad we have the system we have setup.

It's like the dead island release for PC, biggest shit storm ever just to hit a release date with bugs everywhere. A little patience and we could of had a better experience.

• I wanted to comment I am running now a large IC2 server that peaks 30+ online though we are using modified bukkit we are using 99% of what comes from you guys. I must say I love the mod don't get me wrong but some these bugs were clearly bad testing and I mean really bad testing. Some these things seem to be really easy fix on a few them just someone not willing to test them. At Godcraft we pride ourselves on quality for our players. I don't even throw RB of bukkit up and any plugins unless I thoroughly test things and I get several my players that I trust on a special box just for testing.

I feel that your mod could have done better if it had better testers mainly in the SMP part of things.

Anyways you guys always make the final shots around here but damn a nightly build a special forum section where do you want the detailed reports?

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.