Translation not working

• Hello,

I installed IC2 and a couple of other tech mods like RC and IE. While RC, Forestry, HarvestCraft and everything else is translated into German, IC2 (and IE) won't be translated.

I was able to fix the translation of IE using a MineTweaker script or replacing the en_EN.lang file in the jar file of IE.

But this does not work with IC2. If I replace the en_GB.properties file, all my ingame texts are looking like itemIngotCopper but do not translate. Scripting with MineTweaker does not work, too.

But there is a German language file in your mod, so how do I get the game to actually use it without me tinkering around in your files?

I am using:

Twitch app

Minecraft 1.10.2

forge-12.18.3.2297

industrialcraft-2-2.6.210-ex110

Reddit Cross post

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedt…f_ic2_and_ie_not_working/

EDIT: Some other reddit user has the same issue.

• Official Post

The German lang file that's in the jar uses all the old translation mappings, so very few things will be translated because of that. Your best bet is to edit it using the en_US (that has the most up to date ones automatically) as a basis. Most of the German translations should still apply, they will just need changing to the new mappings.

All the localisations are user provided, hence they can fall behind, so if you do choose to update it posting it here so that it can be included as standard in IC2 would be much appreciated.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• As I said, I tried to edit the language files myself. But this isn't working with IC2. Instead of using the changes I made in the en_US file, it just names the items by their name in the ore directory or wherever these weird names are coming from.

And it is not like just a couple of things aren't translated when I use the German language file. NOTHING is translated. So the game is not even trying to use the German language file.

• Official Post

As I said, I tried to edit the language files myself. But this isn't working with IC2. Instead of using the changes I made in the en_US file, it just names the items by their name in the ore directory or wherever these weird names are coming from.

That sounds like the formatting of the file has gone wrong, you're only changing the parts to the right of the equal signs right?

And it is not like just a couple of things aren't translated when I use the German language file. NOTHING is translated. So the game is not even trying to use the German language file.

It's trying to use the German language file, just the file itself is too old to work. For example, in de_DE there is itemCrushedCopperOre=Zerstoßenes Kupfererz, but in en_US it's crushed.copper = Crushed Copper Ore. If in de_DE is changed to crushed.copper=Zerstoßenes Kupfererz then the localisation would work.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• I opened the jar with 7zip, edited the en_US.properties with notepad and saved it. I did not make a copy of the file or change the formatting. Is notepad destroying something? Should I install notepad++?

• Well, could you link me to an up2date tutorial on how to do this? Never created a resource pack before.

And please tell me how to edit the language files without changing the permission attributes from "-rw-r--r--" to "".

Edit: I really dont know why, but suddenly my edited en_US.properties is working. I will translate the file and then post it to the translation section of this forum.

• Well, if you say so. I translated the most common items to be able to play with my gf. But if you guys are going to convert the old language files, then I will stop with my translation right here.