Infinite Lava via dormant reactor perhaps OP? (Is my version outdated?)

• I am not using the newest verison I think, so please let me know if anything is outdated.

I scanned around looking for ways to get obsidian easily in IC2.
    For some reason some items are incredibly expensive in the replicator, a piece of obsidian costs hundreds of buckets of UU.

But while there is no official way to create lava in IC2, a nuclear reactor can easily be exploited to make free infinite lava.

I would like to ask opinions if we should really be able to just create lava at no cost with a reactor and if it would maybe be a good idea to add a machine that can create lava in a "proper" way.

• I don't think that the infinite lava is OP, and as far as I know this isn't even considered a bug. I had already considered utilizing this to produce EU, but I found it is much more productive utilizing the reactor to produce EU, running on replicated fuel rods.

A large amount of lava is required only at early-mid game, but a reactor needs a lot of Lead, making it difficult to craft during that period. However, there are plenty of lava in the nether and they're easily accessible via a pump, which needs much less materials. Although the lava amount in nether is finite, but how can you use up all of it?

In my opinion, creating lava with the reactor is a great idea, offering a completely automatic way to create renewable lava, basalt, and obsidian, while still needing some infrastructure. What I have thought was to use a cobble generator, with a bunch of dispensers , observers, and fluid cells to collect the lava, which needs some material investment. Creating lava simply through machine simplifies things too much. Considering that lava isn't needed that much in late-game (unless you're making a portal pigman farm), I am against the idea of a lava-creating machine and keep things as-is.

IC2 reactors has 196,627,050,475,552,913,618,075,908,526,912,116,283,103,450,944,214,766,927,315,415,537,966,391,196,809 (2754) combinations. HAYO!

:Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log:

My avatar is from a video of Operation Upshot-Knothole.

• Expensive replication of obsidian is due to its rarity in terrain generation. Again, as lava is very cheap in the nether, and it is simple enough to turn lava into obsidian, who want to replicate obsidian?

IC2 reactors has 196,627,050,475,552,913,618,075,908,526,912,116,283,103,450,944,214,766,927,315,415,537,966,391,196,809 (2754) combinations. HAYO!

:Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log:

• I mean it could remove the lava's worth in HU at least

Why do you want that? You want to remove the only way to get basalt (besides replication) as of now?

and not turn flowing lava into source blocks

That sounds reasonable.

so at least a dormant reactor can't be an infinite lava source.

A heated dormant reactor can turn every single block (except air and te blocks) to lava. It is an infinite lava source anyways, it just depends on what blocks you want it to turn into lava.

• I meant that the process of turning something into lava should maybe remove some heat from the reactor, so you at least have to do something for your free lava...although I currently see no way to keep a reactor powered at 85% because whatever block you put the redstone on melts.

• I meant that the process of turning something into lava should maybe remove some heat from the reactor

Reactors have been made not being affected to outside environment (at least that's what I believe). And, this is like an outside vent, a random one that doesn't need much materials.

although I currently see no way to keep a reactor powered at 85% because whatever block you put the redstone on melts.

You can power the reactor through a repeater and a block, and use a cobble generator to constantly replace the block once it melts, or you can use the configurable redstone behavior of EU storage blocks, plus some redstone and wiring. I mentioned before that te blocks don't get affected.

• Reactors have been made not being affected to outside environment (at least that's what I believe). And, this is like an outside vent, a random one that doesn't need much materials.

You can power the reactor through a repeater and a block, and use a cobble generator to constantly replace the block once it melts, or you can use the configurable redstone behavior of EU storage blocks, plus some redstone and wiring. I mentioned before that te blocks don't get affected.

Thanks for the info, but in the version I have they still produce infinite lava when turned off, so it's not necessary to find such a solution. I just wish it was.