[1.15 SMP] Bugs : Sound, Iron Fence Poles

• If you make an iron fencing pole, which appears to be the same block as the shaft inserted by the miner, and stand near it you take damage. This means that if you create a magnetizer based elevator you will take some damage on the way up. On the bright side, the damage is direct to health and so your armor isn't damaged.

Sound is EXCELLENT in quality and it is truly impressive to hear when you fire up a whole bank of machines. I commend the sound designer. However, it doesn't QUITE sync up all of the time. Sometimes sounds keep playing even when a machine has stopped, some sounds play even when you leave the server and go to the menu, and of course the mass fabricator always plays sound even when it is not receiving any new power.

I think it is really important that you fix this, because the sound even with the bugs is a huge part of the experience of Industrial Craft. I would suggest some kind of synchronization check where the server sends a packet with a checksum or a list of all of the sound effects that the client is supposed to be playing once every second or so.

• With a little thought, I think I know why your sound doesn't quite work. It needs to be based upon the DERIVATIVE (rate of change) of the power state for each machine. If a machine has power but is not USING power, it should not make a sound. The moment rate of change = 0 for more than a certain interval, play the "stopping" sound effect. This may require you to send more information to the SMP client than you are already doing.

• Official Post

I think the iron fence issue is already fixed for the next release, I'm not entirely sure though.

Most sounds are linked to the operation cycle, they start playing when a machine starts processing.

There are currently some issues with loading, unloading and updating of tile entities, i'm working on this on the forge side.

• Official Post

I noticed sometimes when adjusting the sound level of Minecraft, the IC sounds don't follow suit -- especially if I quit the game and rejoin.

For example, I lower the MC sound level to 5%. MC and IC sounds are both very low. Quit the game and come back, to find the MC sounds very low still, and IC sounds back to being rather loud.

• Official Post

r.e. the problem with sounds being too short for the machine operation. This is impossible to avoid. The machines have a set operation length based on ticks (roughly 20 a second). As sound works in realtime i.e. seconds, it's not possible to sync these up. The problem arises when the server is not processing the full 20 ticks/sec (it will do this if it's not powerful enough to handle all the data being processed) and an operation time is lengthened by this, making a 15 sec operation into a 17 sec operation. As there is no hook in minecraft to stop a sound when a machine operation finishes, I cannot make sounds that are longer than a full operation. Unless of course you fancy coding us a timestretch algorythm without pitch modification for the audio engine a la Melodyne (which retails at about £500). ;)