is there a way to move electricity over long areas?

• because i dont want to have a billion power generators everywhere so everything is powerd

lots of bat-boxes (or MFS's or MFE's) every <x> squares, where <x> is the loss number of the particular cable. 4 for copper, 20 for glass fibre
    I use glass fibre for everything now.

• or use very high voltage. even on 100 block long distance it loss 4% of energy.

not really.

as far as i can see, High Voltage seems to be currently broken.

consider the following scenario:

we have a 100-block long stretch we need to transport energy.

First case: EV cable 4X insulated.
    loses 1EU every 1.25 block
    100 blocks, that's 80 EU lost every pulse.
    each pulse of EV is 2,048, so losing 80, you get 1,968 every pulse.
    That's around 96% efficiency. Quite decent really.
    for 1,000,000 EU to be transferred, you need about 488 pulses, and after loss, you get 960,937.5 of it back, a loss of about 40,000

Second case: Glass Fiber Cable :Glass Fibre:
    loses 1 EU every 20 blocks.
    100 blocks that's 5 EU lost every pulse.
    each pulse of HV is 512, so losing 5, you get 507 every pulse.
    That's around 99% efficiency.
    for 1,000,000 EU to be transfered, you need about 1,900 pulses, and after loss, you get 990,234.375 of it back, a loss of only about 10,000

I say Glass fiber is superior in about every way as far as i can see.

• And you're right. The difference is that HV cable costs three refined iron (and nine rubber if you're feeling fancy) for twelve pieces, whereas glass fiber costs a whole diamond for every six pieces. Throwing down 16 diamonds for a 96-block long cable is a hell of a lot more expensive than 24 iron.

• And you're right. The difference is that HV cable costs three refined iron (and nine rubber if you're feeling fancy) for twelve pieces, whereas glass fiber costs a whole diamond for every six pieces. Throwing down 16 diamonds for a 96-block long cable is a hell of a lot more expensive than 24 iron.

eh.. once you get to a certain point diamond isn't super expensive. I can leave the game running overnight and get 15 diamond or so out of the mass fab. (i'm pulling the uu matter out with Buildcraft stuff and running it to a auto crafting table)

• Cost is relative. HV is still hellalot cheaper, but if you HAVE loads of diamond to spend it doesn't matter. It's just that in most cases you WON'T have a diamond surplus :D

• there is a way. but it require's build craft.
    you take a electrolizer. a hell of a lot of (buildcraft)pipes and watercell's and tresport the watercell to an other electrolizer to take the energie out.
    this is the most cheap and fastes way to have a 100% efficiency

EDIT: i sorry didn't read the wiki very well there's a 10% loss indeed.
    maybe with battery's?

• Exempt that 10% is lost in the electolyzation (15k in, 13,5k out)

That's the loss in about 250 block long max insulation HV wire, or 1000 (!) block long fiber cable...

• I used to do these windmill farms in sets of 16x wind generators at the top of the world. It used to work very well, but now with these new mechanics it doesn't seem very viable. The core problem is that you do need to transfer the power a very long way and now it is very expensive to do that. I think the only real power solutions now are Solar and nuclear. Yes a glass fiber cable would work to simplify things with a wind farm, but as someone said, that is a lot of diamonds.

• From surface to top of the world there's like 64 blocks. That's under 3% loss on fully isolated HV wire with EHW :)

Sure you need some iron and 2 diamonds for transforming to EHW and back, but it's not THAT much...