[Suggestion] Nether Vortex energy transferer

• There have been requests for this in the past however i recently thought of a way for it to work that might be easier to accomplish codedly. Essentially it would be made with any of the energy storage blocks, better the storage the more storage the transferer will have you then place one in one of the 4 corners that are unnecessary for a nether portal and another on the nether side and whenever you go through the portal it makes it so that whatever energy is in the first one goes into the one on the destination side. Yes this means that in order to get energy from your nether power plant you have to go there and back through the portal (not to mention that your power plant won't work while the nether is unloaded) but it would be alot more fluid then running back and forth with crystals.

On the other hand it would be much easier to start up a base in the nether since you could utilize your existing power structure in the real world.

• There have been requests for this in the past however i recently thought of a way for it to work that might be easier to accomplish codedly. Essentially it would be made with any of the energy storage blocks, better the storage the more storage the transferer will have you then place one in one of the 4 corners that are unnecessary for a nether portal and another on the nether side and whenever you go through the portal it makes it so that whatever energy is in the first one goes into the one on the destination side. Yes this means that in order to get energy from your nether power plant you have to go there and back through the portal (not to mention that your power plant won't work while the nether is unloaded) but it would be alot more fluid then running back and forth with crystals.

On the other hand it would be much easier to start up a base in the nether since you could utilize your existing power structure in the real world.

Do you know how hard it is to code multi-world teleportation and such? Just have a geothermal station in the nether and a huge solar station in the real world.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• I realize this, that's why i was suggesting that the transfer only happens when you actually go through the portal.

Would I be correct in thinking that the *storage blocks* on your original side would, on going through the portal, have their energy values copied to the other side?

• Would I be correct in thinking that the *storage blocks* on your original side would, on going through the portal, have their energy values copied to the other side?

That's what i was thinking at first but then i thought of Multiplayer so i went with the energy moving or swapping between the two so you can't duplicate energy imbetween people going through the portal.

• That's what i was thinking at first but then i thought of Multiplayer so i went with the energy moving or swapping between the two so you can't duplicate energy imbetween people going through the portal.

Hmm, good point.

I think that also a hueg issue is that nether portals are not really linked, as in it has to recalulate where to come out each time.

• Hmm, good point
    I think that also a hueg issue is that nether portals are not really linked, as in it has to recalulate where to come out each time.

Presumably it would just need to detect what coordinates the player is being moved to and the then just go (for example) up 3 over 1 block. pretty simple calculation.

• Hmm, good point.

They should code it so that every chunck containing the energy swapping blocks will load, nether or overworld. Better yet create block specificly designed to load the chunk it is contained in and include it it the recipe. This would enable multichunk systems to load.

• They should code it so that every chunck containing the energy swapping blocks will load, nether or overworld. Better yet create block specificly designed to load the chunk it is contained in and include it it the recipe. This would enable multichunk systems to load.

Except that to my understanding the Nether and Normal world don't stay loaded at the same time at all (at least in SSP). Going to one world unloads the other.

• In all of the above cases what you're effectively asking is for the mod to maintain an out of world data-storage space that it then uses to keep track of the data.

Actually that would be a rather neat solution to 'unloaded' parts of the grid. You'd have all of the electrical systems also stored inside of a real database and just use a simpler playback to determine what effects occur until things become 'inactive'.

• just use crystals/lapotrons for nether's sake. I think time would be wasted on this would be better spent on SMP bug fixes or improvement of BC<->IC link (as addon)

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy

• In all of the above cases what you're effectively asking is for the mod to maintain an out of world data-storage space that it then uses to keep track of the data.

Actually that would be a rather neat solution to 'unloaded' parts of the grid. You'd have all of the electrical systems also stored inside of a real database and just use a simpler playback to determine what effects occur until things become 'inactive'.

I was more meaning something along the lines of (in sort of suedo code language)

When player goes through portal search within 1 block around portal for block:netherTransferer and cut it's contents. When player arrives through portal search within 1 block of portal for block:netherTransferer and paste it's contents in.

Obviously it's slightly more complicated then that however it aught to be doable. Worst comes to worst you could do something like putting an item into the players inventory with the meta data needed to paste in the inventory on the other side. after all I' pretty sure i've seen portable chests made before.

just use crystals/lapotrons for nether's sake. I think time would be wasted on this would be better spent on SMP bug fixes or improvement of BC<->IC link (as addon)

I don't know about you but I don't really feel like going back and forth with a ton Lapis crystals. let alone actually having the materials to craft enough crystals to be able to make it worth it to do so.

• I don't know about you but I don't really feel like going back and forth with a ton Lapis crystals. let alone actually having the materials to craft enough crystals to be able to make it worth it to do so.

I suppose this is why we need a ZPM, eh?

• How about this, a MFS-ND (an MFS with Nether Distribution capabilities....going along the lines of the MFE->MFS chain). When you place one of these in the world, it creates a unique identifier for it, storing its location/map/whatever in a file/metadatathing. A list of these IDs of the world can be created (loaded by server) that store an EU value for how much the unit currently has. Also, when you place one of these objects in the world, a duplicate is created in the nether at the correct relative location (avoiding obsidian blocks to avoid portals -- this may need to be offset to insure that portal reconfigurations do not destroy these blocks, or at least replace them when it does occur). If the world is not loaded (SP for example), then it will create it when the player goes through a portal (the ID list isn't going anywhere at this point). If you dismantle it, the object is automatically dismantled in the other world as well (it is taken out of the ID list and put in the "dismantle" list if in SP or unloaded....when the player moves worlds, the 'dismantle' list will run to destroy it then).

What does it do exactly? Simple, it acts exactly like an MFS in all aspects, but with a "global" EU value in the ID list. The only down side is that if the 2 worlds are not loaded at the same time (i.e. SP mode, or no one is in the nether), then the updates will be only one sided. If all machines in IC2 were placed in a build-list, then you could have global mechanization at all times under throttle control (reduce lag and have just pure awesome spewing out)....but I doubt the creator will implement that (and if he would like to and needs help *coughs and points to self*). As for now, a trip back and forth to the nether will be required to see any results.

Since the device is already nether linked, I imagine the recipe would look like this:

:Glass Fibre:O:Glass Fibre:
    O:MFS-Unit:O
    . O F

. - nothing
    O - obsidian
    F - flint&steel

• who would want it import or export energy anyway
    nether have huge supply of lava, overworld have sun and wind , they balance each out

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy

• who would want it import or export energy anyway
    nether have huge supply of lava, overworld have sun and wind , they balance each out

I agree. While Geothermal's have the highest EU production rate for generators, solars would quickly out strip Geo's since they would require constant refilling (Besides, this is really null if you're using the Adv. Solar Panel add-on (128 EU/t during the day, and [configurable] 1 EU/t during the night))

• I agree. While Geothermal's have the highest EU production rate for generators, solars would quickly out strip Geo's since they would require constant refilling (Besides, this is really null if you're using the Adv. Solar Panel add-on (128 EU/t during the day, and [configurable] 1 EU/t during the night))

For starters I definitely feel like the advanced solar panel addon is kinda unbalanced.

Secondly the entire idea behind this would be the ability to build an automatic refilling power plant in the nether that can then transfer energy to your base in the normal world.