Suggestion: Miner Config

• Basically, it's adding a config file [mainly a list of blockids] that sets the target blocks the miner will dig for as it's running. That way, if someone happens to be using a mod that adds new ores, they can make it so that the miner won't ignore them.

• Not sure what part of this would make anything faster. Just figured if someone added something like the Fossils mod, that they would like to be able to have the miner actually drill for fossils, rather than just happen by them while aiming for other ores. Or, if someone really wants to spend the EU, and doesn't have Buildcraft's quarry, to be able to dig all the dirt/gravel/cobble under the miner.

Although, not sure if Fossils is the best example. I think it drops bones when dug, not a fossil block. I'm not sure how the miner handles digging. If the miner having the difference between metal ores that drop ore blocks and stone ores that drop items is hardcoded, that may be a hassle to add compatibility with mod ores. On the other hand, if it just looks to see what the ore is supposed to drop when dug, and produces that, it might be easier to implement.

• As a note, this would actually be configuring what the drill can dig faster as well, i think.

No I don't think that the miner should be able to be configured to dig faster. There are a lot more important things.

However I am 100% behind the idea of making the config conform to other mods, kinda like Treecapitator's config.

• No I don't think that the miner should be able to be configured to dig faster. There are a lot more important things.

However I am 100% behind the idea of making the config conform to other mods, kinda like Treecapitator's config.

You misread my post. IIRC, According to a DEV post, The miner somehow uses the functionality of what a drill is able to drill for some part of it's functionality, I think specifially whether or not it gets stuck at a partical type of block. I was not suggestion a configuration to let it dig faster, but pointing out that the miner's code is dependent on the drills code.

• I think I see what you mean. I'd always been using my diamond drill for the miner, and forgot that it depended on which drill it was equipped with. Does that mean the drill would have trouble with other mods' blocks even without the miner? ( I don't have any custom-ore-supplying mods to test this with.) If that's the case, that does present a bit of difficulty. It wouldn't do to give people chance to make a super-drill by setting the speed for all the blockids to max.
    Although... perhaps there could be some integrated limits on what the config file can do, such as a maximum drill-speed limit, and ignoring any blockids that match the vanilla / IC2 ores to prevent changing the drill's normal performance.
    Another idea that may or may not pose a bit more hassle is to make a third drill style, with some fancy material set (advanced alloy, advanced circuit, energy crystal?), that can be used for all configurable custom needs, leaving the the original drills as they are.

• I'm going to expand this in to a generic mining wishlist.

1) To control what blocks are mined (whitelist/blacklist); possibly via detector programming.
    2) Backfill more than the shaft; it would be awesome if I could have the miner fill in the places it digs through; a secondary level for filling in /any/ gap it encounters (eliminate all caves).
    2.a) The backfill buffer would need to be several slots, and ideally if the miner comes across a material from one of the slots it would be deposited there first and then reused; empty slots would have '0' of the prior slot (so they could hold a whole new stack, or you could seed it with one cobblestone).
    3) A more complex programmable backfill program. If it detects block X within Y spaces fill/nofill. This could be used with rail supports, chests, spawners, etc to prevent filling in abandoned mineshafts and strongholds.

• I like the idea, but make it a GUI inclusion/exclusion type thing (similar to advanced wooden pipes in the AdditionalPipes mod). To counter the OP nature, you could have the device require more EU for each block being scanned in the inventory slot.

It would also be nice if you could backfill foam (maybe from the foam gun) in the same area as defined by the scanner that is in the device....although this is not entirely necessary, but if you venture into a cave and see foam, you know that you mined that spot (or possibly creating an easily sculpted tower/mineshaft/whatever).

• miner already have this setting, valuable ores section

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy

Except that is done outside the game; which means that if you find out you are low on dirt/cobblestone for some reason, you have to either dig it up yourself, or exit the game, edit the file, re-enter the game and hope that your other miners are turned off. I personally like the idea of customization ingame.

• miner is for ores, for bulk recovery there's quarry

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy

• miner is for ores, for bulk recovery there's quarry

There's a quarry machine in IC2? I was sure I didn't see one in the list....? Or did you mean the quarry in buildcraft, which is a completely different mod altogether and shouldn't have any relation to this one at all. Well since buildcraft has a quarry, why not just get rid of the miner altogether....right?

Let's keep the mods separate, that would be great.

• lets not double the things in diffrent mods? it's enough we have it wih ores (god bless MForge and it's ore dictionary!)
    they serve diffrent purposes, miner is for fast, cheap and mobile ore extraction, quarry is more power-demanding,way more slower, requres alot of expencive components. if miner get an ingame config - quarry wont be needed at all

and also - mods DO have a relation to each other, and keeping separate - it what community atm is trying to get rid of, for expl: my quarry is actually powered using energy coupler in EU to BC mode , and power to is generated by windfarm, there's addons to convert BC power to EU , generate oil from EU, make IDiamonds usable in BC crafts. Not to mention IC machines use BC API for item input/output via pipes

I've found this in the config. I'm not completely sure how it works, though. I see the first numbers in the pairs are the ores' blockIDs. Are the second numbers in he pairs the seconds the miner will spend to dig the ores? If so, than it seems this thread has no point, as IC2 already had what I was looking for. (Wish I had been able to find more info on the config file.)

• second numbers are block metadata, allows to register few blocks with one block ID afaik

• 14:3 - gold block

15:4 - iron block
    16:1 - coal block
    21:3 - lapis
    56:5 - diamond
    73:3 - redstone
    247:4 - uranium
    248:2 - tin
    249:2 - copper

How exactly is that metadata? Anyway, those values are how valuable the ores are, for the OV/OD scanners.

• guess i gotta get some sleep, havent got any in more than 30 hours :)