Ice cooling reactor design

• Has anyone tested out a reactor that you can add full Ice stacks to that can run a full cycle without damage and have decent output?

I want some decent output and to be able to walk away to let her run, but I do not mind adding stacks of Ice for each startup.

As long as the output will not fry Glass Fiber cable that is ; ]

• Well this is kinda new to me so lets say something beter than 3.33 Eff and about 150 EU/T or more. Not really sure what you can push through a complete run without maintenance on the components or a timmer cycling the reactor.

I can produce Ice with a bit of effort but I don't want to fill the thing with just ice and uranium, lets say max 8 full stacks per run of Ice.

Not sure exactly what I can push it to with using Ice stacks to help cool it, or how exactly Ice cooling works.......

For example does it matter what other reactor components are close to the ice and their heat in the overall package as to if the ice goes poof or not?

Am sure someone out there has got a few good setups with ice as a cooling agent that can let a 6 chamber reactor run through a full cycle without adding more Ice half way through.

• For example something like this:

http://test.vendaria.net/index…XHCUUUCCHCXCHCCHCHCHCCHCX

That runs to about 1520 ticks and then the entire reactor vaporizes,

With 6 full stacks of Ice in the holes will it run a full cycle without burning up components or exploding? By my understanding thats 76800 worth of cooling that will be provided by those 6 stacks of Ice, is it enough, or is it too much ice and I could make due with less?

• the problem is how fast your gonna go through ice with that much heat.

With all that uranium your generating tons of heat, once the reactor hits 200 heat in the hull its gonna start popping ice blocks.

The ice block that gets popped wont reset the hull heat back down to 0, it doesn't work that way. Its going to absorb enough heat to keep the hull around 200-300 untill the last block melts, then your back to generating massive heat. 4 stacks of ice in your design will give you a reactor that will last about 5 minutes longer than it would previously, but still nowhere near a full cycle

edit: someone else explained this way better than me, let me see if I can find the post.
    edit2:
    I could not find it but it goes something like this, all the HD;s and coolants in the system are gonna be close to the same heat the hull is. The ice is absorbing heat from all of those, cooling them and the hull down. So you have to divide that 200 cooling the ice gives by the number of components and then add 1 for the reactor hull itself. therefor what is happening is your hull and components are reaching 200 heat and the ice is melting and giving cooling divided by the amount of components. Since your reactor is generating so much heat, blocks will melt by the second to keep everything around 200.

• So its only really good to use in something like this:

http://test.vendaria.net/index…CHCUUCHCHCCHCCCHHCCHCCCCH

Which goes 4140 ticks before melting but has 2 empty spots which you could throw two stacks of Ice in and that could possibly get it through a cycle. (10K ticks for a full cycle?)

Or in a reactor that has a timmer on it to pulse it possibly.

Wow Ice is almost useless I guess, unless you want to stand next to the reactor with an inventory full of it or have some crazy buildcraft contraption belt feeding it into the reactor ; p

I am a sad Panda

Think I found the post you talked about:

http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=1676

so thats only 4 heat skimmed off the top for every Ice Block, which for 6 full stacks is 1536 overall reactor heat nullified, sans 76800

( oh and it was 6 full stack of Ice I had left room for in that monstrocity up there and not 4 )

• The only thing I could see ice useful for would be the minimize cooldown times on high heat high eu/t reactors or to turn a lowish heat mark 3 into a (barely) mark 2.

That being said, ice is irritating to make without using TMI or having some crazy BC+EE factory set up(which would change the game on reactors anyway) Using a stack to extend my meltdown a few extra minutes isn't worth it currently.

It might be usefull to generate more eu over a longer period of time if we used ice to shorten cooldown times on mark 2's, or even get us higher efficiency by turning mark 3's into safer mark 2-suc reactors.

Ice might have practical uses, I hate making it, so im not an expert on ice cooled reactors at all.

• Don't need EE to make Ice, you do need BC to automate the whole thing though.
    Anyway, water cell -> snowball -> ice via 3 trips to the compressor.
    you can automatically fill the buckets with water with BC and the Bucket Filler addon. (optionally the advanced wooden pipe from the BC additional pipes will make the bucket thing *much* easier)
    Obviously for speed you'll want the IC2 singularity compressor addon.

• http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/408/20111018233440.png

This is a floor of my ice factory i have six of them and they produce about 1 stack of ice every 10 mins. The workings are basically Sand>IC>Glass>EE>More Sand>IC>Glass>EE>Ice

Would that be sufficient enough to work a reactor like that

I make it out to be you would need to provide 6 full stacks of Ice to that thing every 25.6 Min to keep it from redecorating the local landscape.... best make it every 25 min to give you a buffer zone. so tripple your factory and you should be able to run it through a cycle non stop.

• Tonight I am going to get 2 personal safes full of Ice stacks, and fill my inventory with Ice, then see how many I need to use up to run this beast through a set of Uranium.

If I run out of Ice its a mad dash to get out of the blast zone and hopefully I will make it to the kill switch in time.

• About half way through the cycle of this reactor and it will end up being about 200 full stacks of Ice to keep it going.

Am having a problem with the bottom two centre coolant cells slowly getting near popping and am having to rotate them out with ones from another part of the reactor every 20 min.

Am gonna swap out the two plates next tot em for reactor plating and see if that will keep them from needing to be moved.

• Final test results:

http://test.vendaria.net/index…XHCUUUPCHCXHCCCHCCHHCCHCC

194 Full stacks of Ice to run through complete cycle.

Average 1.25 blocks melted per reactor tick (second)

Conducted 3 seperate stress tests on design with no ice for 100 , 200 and 300 Reactor ticks.

100 Tick stress test: Reactor recovered quickly and became stable after 5 min, max consumption of Ice blocks when reintroduced was 2 per Tick.

200 Tick Stress test: Reactor took quite a bit longer to stabalize, 15 min to recover fully, consumed 3 Ice per tick for a short time, then 2 on average over the next 5 min.

300 Tick Stress test: Reactor consumed 4 or 3 Ice per tick for 5 Min, then moved to average 2 per tick for aprox 10 min a full half hour to restabalize.

And was left with 4 Nearly Depleted uranium cells at the end :D