Ok, so here's my first stab at creating a small bridge between BuildCraft and IC2. Introducing the Energy Coupler, 3 Tiers of couplers that allow you to convert electricity from IC2 into BuildCraft energy.
PLEASE NOTE: BACK UP YOUR SAVE GAMES!
This is a work in progress, so it's very possible that something could get screwed up. If you don't want to lose your game, back it up!
Requirements for v0.20 or earlier:
IndustrialCraft2 v1.23 or later
BuildCraft 2.2.3 (all parts) or later
Requirements for v0.21.1:
IndustrialCraft2 v1.23 or later
BuildCraft 2.2.5 (all parts) or later
NOTE: v0.20 has changed functionality! Please Read!
A redstone signal now turns off output. Because of the change, I've added a GUI to the coupler which allows you to change which direction you want the conversion to go. I'm not sure how upgrading will affect any currently placed couplers. Theoretically, they should default to converting EUs to BC Energy, meaning you will have to go and change the coupler to convert to BC Energy and then remove the redstone signal in order for it to work the other direction. As always, back up your previous save before upgrading.
NOTE ON SMP: On my system, the server was trying to load the EnergyCoupler mod before IC2 and would throw an error. I think it's because it was loading the mods in alphabetical order. If you experience this problem, just add a z to the beginning of the EnergyCoupler mod filename and it should hopefully work. At least that's what I did.
LV Energy Coupler
MV Energy Coupler
HV Energy Coupler
Wooden Regulator Pipe
Gold Regulator Pipe
Stone Regulator Pipe
The Energy Couplers act like their transformer counterparts except that there is only one input and output side. The 3 dot side is for the BuildCraft Wooden Power Pipe connection and the 1 dot side is for the cable connection. You can change the input side by wrenching. Each Tier will take up to their maximum EUs (32 for LV, 128 for MV, 512 for HV) and convert it into BuildCraft Energy on a 2.5:1 basis. Currently, they will not explode if you connect a lower tier coupler to a higher voltage line. They will (hopefully) convert only up to the maximum EUs for their tier.
New in v0.21: Energy Regulator Pipes!
No more worrying about how much EUs you are wasting when converting to BuildCraft Energy! Regulator Pipes will now automatically calculate and regulate the flow of EUs and energy! Using them is simple. Attach a wooden regulator pipe to your energy coupler output, attach either a stone or gold regulator pipe to a buildcraft machine or another energy coupler and then connect with normal energy pipes. It's that easy!
Here is a very basic example:
Please note though, because of the way BuildCraft passes energy requests along pipes, you may notice an energy "wave" if you make your pipe path too long. Short pipe connections are recommended for optimal usage.
This is a work in progress and a learning experience, so any comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Also, as an incentive to test it out, I've thrown back in my Industrial Diamond BuildCraft recipes so you can use industrial diamonds to craft Diamond Item Pipes and Diamond Gears.
I know that this diminishes the need for BuildCraft Engines and Oil somewhat (ok, a lot), so I think my next goal is to create a Petrol Generator for converting refined oil into EUs
- Modified the conversion ratio to ~2.5 EUs : 1 BC Energy Unit
- Possibly added SMP compatibility, will need someone to test since I don't do SMP
- Added user configurable conversion ratio in configuration file
- Added ability to convert BC Energy to EUs when redstone is applied to a coupler
- Updated to IC2 1.23 and BC 2.2.3
- Fixed a bug where breaking the block would return an LV coupler no matter which coupler you broke
- I think I finally worked out SMP
- Redstone signal now turns off output
- Added GUI for selecting the direction of the conversion
- Fixed a bug where buildcraft wooden power pipes were being overloaded at higher voltages resulting in major loss when converting into BC Energy [thanks to d1red for pointing it out]
- Added 3 new pipes to regulate energy usage when converting EUs to BuildCraft energy
- Updated and re-compiled against BuildCraft 2.2.5 to fix the crash while placing stone or gold regulator pipes