[AddOn v1.23] Energy Coupler v0.21.1 - Convert EUs <-> BuildCraft Energy

• Ok, so here's my first stab at creating a small bridge between BuildCraft and IC2. Introducing the Energy Coupler, 3 Tiers of couplers that allow you to convert electricity from IC2 into BuildCraft energy.

PLEASE NOTE: BACK UP YOUR SAVE GAMES!
    This is a work in progress, so it's very possible that something could get screwed up. If you don't want to lose your game, back it up!

Requirements for v0.20 or earlier:
    IndustrialCraft2 v1.23 or later
    BuildCraft 2.2.3 (all parts) or later

Requirements for v0.21.1:
    IndustrialCraft2 v1.23 or later
    BuildCraft 2.2.5 (all parts) or later

NOTE: v0.20 has changed functionality! Please Read!
    A redstone signal now turns off output. Because of the change, I've added a GUI to the coupler which allows you to change which direction you want the conversion to go. I'm not sure how upgrading will affect any currently placed couplers. Theoretically, they should default to converting EUs to BC Energy, meaning you will have to go and change the coupler to convert to BC Energy and then remove the redstone signal in order for it to work the other direction. As always, back up your previous save before upgrading.

NOTE ON SMP: On my system, the server was trying to load the EnergyCoupler mod before IC2 and would throw an error. I think it's because it was loading the mods in alphabetical order. If you experience this problem, just add a z to the beginning of the EnergyCoupler mod filename and it should hopefully work. At least that's what I did.

The Energy Couplers act like their transformer counterparts except that there is only one input and output side. The 3 dot side is for the BuildCraft Wooden Power Pipe connection and the 1 dot side is for the cable connection. You can change the input side by wrenching. Each Tier will take up to their maximum EUs (32 for LV, 128 for MV, 512 for HV) and convert it into BuildCraft Energy on a 2.5:1 basis. Currently, they will not explode if you connect a lower tier coupler to a higher voltage line. They will (hopefully) convert only up to the maximum EUs for their tier.

New in v0.21: Energy Regulator Pipes!
    No more worrying about how much EUs you are wasting when converting to BuildCraft Energy! Regulator Pipes will now automatically calculate and regulate the flow of EUs and energy! Using them is simple. Attach a wooden regulator pipe to your energy coupler output, attach either a stone or gold regulator pipe to a buildcraft machine or another energy coupler and then connect with normal energy pipes. It's that easy!

Here is a very basic example:

Please note though, because of the way BuildCraft passes energy requests along pipes, you may notice an energy "wave" if you make your pipe path too long. Short pipe connections are recommended for optimal usage.

This is a work in progress and a learning experience, so any comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Also, as an incentive to test it out, I've thrown back in my Industrial Diamond BuildCraft recipes so you can use industrial diamonds to craft Diamond Item Pipes and Diamond Gears.

I know that this diminishes the need for BuildCraft Engines and Oil somewhat (ok, a lot), so I think my next goal is to create a Petrol Generator for converting refined oil into EUs

Changelog:
    v0.15:
    - Modified the conversion ratio to ~2.5 EUs : 1 BC Energy Unit
    - Possibly added SMP compatibility, will need someone to test since I don't do SMP
    v0.16:
    - Added user configurable conversion ratio in configuration file
    v0.17:
    - Added ability to convert BC Energy to EUs when redstone is applied to a coupler
    v0.18:
    - Updated to IC2 1.23 and BC 2.2.3
    - Fixed a bug where breaking the block would return an LV coupler no matter which coupler you broke
    v0.19:
    - I think I finally worked out SMP
    v0.20:
    - Redstone signal now turns off output
    - Added GUI for selecting the direction of the conversion
    - Fixed a bug where buildcraft wooden power pipes were being overloaded at higher voltages resulting in major loss when converting into BC Energy [thanks to d1red for pointing it out]
    v0.21:
    - Added 3 new pipes to regulate energy usage when converting EUs to BuildCraft energy
    v0.21.1:
    - Updated and re-compiled against BuildCraft 2.2.5 to fix the crash while placing stone or gold regulator pipes

• I was waiting for this! Thanks, i will test it now. ( My lovely quarry will get power from solar panels and reactor :) )

• How about vice versa? BC > IC2 power?

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• You beat me to it.. I was about 50% done writing this myself.

Any chance of SMP support?

and great job!

Being a complete Java novice, I wouldn't know the first thing about where to start making it SMP compatible. I've attached the source to the main post if someone would like to go over it and see what needs to be done if they'd like.

• How about vice versa? BC > IC2 power?

From the OP:

I know that this diminishes the need for BuildCraft Engines and Oil somewhat (ok, a lot), so I think my next goal is to create a Petrol Generator for converting refined oil into EUs

• From the OP:

When I first sat down and thought this out, I had originally planned to make it go both ways. The problem I stumbled upon though when I thought it through a bit more was that incoming energy could far exceed what could be converted into EUs, even at HV. I didn't want to just drop the excess energy in the conversion and I didn't want to have to build a gui to buffer and display stored energy waiting to be converted. It was outside the scope of what I wanted to do. That's why I figured that to restore some balance between the mods I would make a Petrol Generator. I guess I could make an Energy BatBox like block for storing energy too, but the problem is I don't think BuildCraft engines stop making energy once something doesn't need it anymore like IC2 does. That would result in people wasting fuel making energy that couldn't go anywhere. But hey, that was just my reasoning. I've made the source available, so feel free to take it and run with it if you think I'm wrong. :)

• I love you, so much right now. You should see the stupid setup I have to have for my 4 quarries....cooling all those iron engines is a BITCH, had 2 arrays go up on me already....they make *ahem* small* holes.

• neat! waiting for SMP and that petrol generator.. hope my oil wont turn into asphalt by then :D

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy

• Are you planning electric engine?

Either way, it's epic work ;) But hope you'll upload SMP version!

• Doesnt work for me;(

Here is the crashlog

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the
    generation. Social experiment.

• I noticed bug, sometimes this "engine" got lag, and stops sending power trough pipes, you need to break, and replace wooden pipe closest to it.
    Anyways, it works GREAT. If You can, may you make able sending power to wooden pipes to extract items from them? It will be cool if you do. If wooden pipe can extract something from "something" it will request energy from engine. @Up try to break wooden pipe and place it again, if it don't work, try to check if you have electric current on cable, maybe it decayed over distance. If this don't help... What is wrong? You doesn't have these blocks in your game, or blocks won't work?

• It looks like a Block ID clash. Modify the config file of either Energy Coupler or the Portal Gun mod to be something other than 210 and you should be ok.

• It looks like a Block ID clash. Modify the config file of either Energy Coupler or the Portal Gun mod to be something other than 210 and you should be ok.

Thanks now it works :D

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the
    generation. Social experiment.

• This is extremely useful. Combine this with Jorgan's BTW mechanical energy to electricity dynamo and you can have water wheels providing energy for the equivalent of a steam BC engine.