Mk5-CASUC 640 eu/tick 4.27 eff with redpower 2 pre3b (Outdated does not work properly on 1.0)

• 150 buckets = 450 iron thats alot more than 150 :)

I was talking about my design. Still, 450/64 means only a little more than 7 stacks. still not bad in my mind. do you not have that much iron or the copper and tin to make it in your world? I have way more than enough, as there isn't a whole lot that you need after a certain point.

Edit: As far as breeding goes, ya, it would take a lot to keep the heat constant and above the equilibrium 4000+ ~1500 or so, depending on your uranium setup. However, I believe the heat only matter for how much is actually going into the component itself, and that the hull heat doesn't matter, or at least that's what my testing has shown. Therefore, only the pattern in which the cells are in should matter. I think I could make a pattern of every other row without a problem, but surrounding the isotope cells with more than two uranium (one on the top and one on the bottom) would be extremely difficult. Not to mention that such a setup would require stopping the reactor 3 times in the middle of its operation, whereas surrounding them by 2 only requires 1 stop in the middle. Having each isotope cell only touch 1 uranium leads to no necessary stops, so it would be the easiest solution, at least to do automatically. I figure that if I'm going to have an automatic reactor, I should at the very least have something to deal with all the near-depleted isotope cells that keep popping up, especially since they seem to have about a 1/3 chance of appearing, which is fairly significant when you consider that one of our efficient reactors can get up to 4,270,000 EU out of it in the end.

Edit 2: also, I don't consider this much of an endgame reactor really, in fact, it will be the first one I build in my legit world, as its been the main thing I've been focused on. I barely even have a house in my legit world.

Edit 3: apparently deployers can't suck through tubes which they aren't connected to, even though they can suck through all other transparent blocks :( So I've only been able to reduce it to 2 transposers, which is still an improvement, but its still annoying.

• I recently found out that transposers can take a seemingly infinite amount of items from the air in one pulse. This doesn't allow for any more speed in empty buckets being taken out, but helps a ton with my refill stuff, and wiring what was becoming a complicated and jam packed area. I have reduced my transposers to 1 now, and reduced the amount of time it takes for buckets to get from the transposer to the buffer chest to 0, improving my design greatly. I'll post it when I have the rest of the refilling stuff figured out, but figured you guys could benefit from the information, as it might be a little while before I get the rest of the refilling stuff figured out. If everything goes as planned it will be out tonight, but to be realistic it will probably be tomorrow, especially since I'm trying to get it to fit in one chunk as well.

Yeah, I noticed this as well (on accident when trying to use a transposer to suck up buckets that could land on a tube, and it would pull all (if not most -because of placement) of the buckets that were spit out of the reactor. My system still ran 2 but one was really just a unpowered failsafe one. *confused look @ problems trying to get it to fit into one chunk*
    I'm still a bit annoyed about the slowdown going from pr2 to pr3b :( It's like, you can add a second filter to pull... which increases the cooling to 5 buckets / sec... I'm tempted to fool around with Zeldo's advanced wooded pipe, but that would cause even more problems as the redstone engines would always have to be hot. [And I'm not sure what the max speed on redstone engines is...] If I use just buildcraft for the cooling system and redpower to fill buckets... I could go up to 5 chambers on the reactor.... [Then again I could pretend the RP machines can be connected to buildcraft pipes by using an obsidian pipe next to the RP machine? :)]

• 450 iron just to get the buckets is alot. Then you only got the buckets and you still need the reactor and all the other stuff.

Upgraded my design again. Now it has a timer connected to the detector block instead of repeaters to turn the pulses to continious. Big advantage of this is that it can run any amount of uranium now. You just have to change the timer next to the detector block (less uranium needs slower timer). Uploading it in a moment.

Screenshot showing some of the wiring:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/155/20111030011131.png/

yes it getting pretty full there :)

Edit: mcedit schematic uploaded see first post for link

• Yeah, I noticed this as well (on accident when trying to use a transposer to suck up buckets that could land on a tube, and it would pull all (if not most -because of placement) of the buckets that were spit out of the reactor. My system still ran 2 but one was really just a unpowered failsafe one. *confused look @ problems trying to get it to fit into one chunk*
    I'm still a bit annoyed about the slowdown going from pr2 to pr3b :( It's like, you can add a second filter to pull... which increases the cooling to 5 buckets / sec... I'm tempted to fool around with Zeldo's advanced wooded pipe, but that would cause even more problems as the redstone engines would always have to be hot. [And I'm not sure what the max speed on redstone engines is...] If I use just buildcraft for the cooling system and redpower to fill buckets... I could go up to 5 chambers on the reactor.... [Then again I could pretend the RP machines can be connected to buildcraft pipes by using an obsidian pipe next to the RP machine? :)]

Redstone engines run ever so slightly faster than once per second when hot, or at least thats what i got when testing. I'd just assume they're probably more exact and 1 per second. Hope that helps.

• in my mind that's really not much. if you have a diamond drill and BC for quarries, it shouldn't take long. Tbh a lot of these things cost as much or more time to craft than their materials take to get, simply because of the complexity of the recipes. Thus, I don't consider the buckets much of an expense. The rest of it should just be a little brass, a little glass, a touch of gold, some cobble, and some advanced alloys and circuits (or whatever else you need for the reactor itself). Personally I think your containment thing probably costs more than the reactor itself. With these mods, acquiring materials is a piece of cake, its the use and management of materials that becomes the problem.

• Before you get quarries its hard to get and will take some time farming. Only after you got a nice base running you can get the resources pretty fast. Thats why i called it engame generator. Having a working quarry costs like 11 diamonds, some gold etc. That means you pretty much did everything in vanilla minecraft.

Also its completely true that even if you got all resources it will still take time to make it working

• On my server, I built a legit one in SMP. I had the same explosion problem due to chunk boundaries it appears.

I feel like you guys stole my credit : I've been using 2 filters for extraction with a maximum power level of 640 EU/tick the WHOLE time. It's ok, though. I considered the item detector like Rick is using, but I haven't bothered because either RedPower is going to work or it isn't. I'd prefer a more robust design, in 1 chunk apparently, that has excess cooling capacity.

I did end up having a torch under the reactor and a wire going to it to invert that torch. So if the wire is cut, the torch turns on, and the reactor shuts down.

• Lols, I almost made a suggestion to Red Power that was already implemented. This may be helpful to some of you working on your RP Reactor systems. If you didn't know already, you can place redpower wires on machines with inventories using shift+right-click to place. Will probably help with wiring nightmares.

• Note for mcediting reactors:
    When you mcedit these reactors ALL REDPOWER 2 MACHINES will stop working. To fix this you have to replace them ALL. Hope it was clear enough :)

As for the detector block it just saved my reactor from a metldown. The cooling system stopped and the buckets disapeared (ye another lesson do not stop the cooling system for >5 mins) so it wasnt running even near full capacity but my item detector saved me :). Other ways will not work (ye maybe 1 in 8 times) since with the 640 eu/tick reactor it will take only seconds to meltdown.

Also will update first post for brickedkeyboard :)

• On my server, I built a legit one in SMP. I had the same explosion problem due to chunk boundaries it appears.

I feel like you guys stole my credit : I've been using 2 filters for extraction with a maximum power level of 640 EU/tick the WHOLE time. It's ok, though. I considered the item detector like Rick is using, but I haven't bothered because either RedPower is going to work or it isn't. I'd prefer a more robust design, in 1 chunk apparently, that has excess cooling capacity.

I did end up having a torch under the reactor and a wire going to it to invert that torch. So if the wire is cut, the torch turns on, and the reactor shuts down.

Sorry if we did, didn't mean to. Congrats for being the first! I think we all came up with the ideas on our own though, so there's credit to go around, but i understand there is some meaning to being first.

• Lols, I almost made a suggestion to Red Power that was already implemented. This may be helpful to some of you working on your RP Reactor systems. If you didn't know already, you can place redpower wires on machines with inventories using shift+right-click to place. Will probably help with wiring nightmares.

OH

MY

GOD!!!!! YEESSSSS!!!!!!!! I thought you could only do transposers!!!!

This will help a ton with all my wiring for the refilling stuff. Thank you sooo so so much.

Rick, mcedit has worked perfectly fine for me as long as the RP machines were not running when i took the snapshot so to speak. I already explained this above.

Edit: IT ISN'T WORKING!!! WHY ISN'T IT WORKING?!

Have you had any problems with timers (RP pr3b) getting wedged on your server? On mine, they work for a while, then get stuck "on" (always emitting a signal from the output). The only way to fix them is to remove and replace them. Moving even a short distance away seems to hasten their demise, but I've had it happen standing right next to them.

On an unrelated note, I wish the Additional Pipes advanced insertion pipe would work on reactors. It always sends buckets to the reactor and drops them on the ground instead of detecting that it's full and recirculating them. :( If that worked properly, it would remove the need for a big chunk of these cooling systems.

• Has anyone run into an issue where after saving/reloading chunks in SMP, RedPower 2 (pr3b) timers don't seem to run at the same speed as IC2 reactors? I had a 530 EU/t CASUC design that ran at 2.5 buckets per second, and could run for a full cycle w/o problems, however after saving/loading the map (the reactor was in a safe-off state at the time), I noticed that the cooling system no longer seemed to be able to "keep up" with the reactor, to where instead of operating safely for hours the reactor would melt down after less than 10 seconds of full operation, with the cooling system still working "perfectly." There were no bottlenecks in the cooling system that could have caused the problem, it just appeared that the reactor behaved almost as though it was processing at a faster time-scale than the RP2 cooling system.

I confirmed that all parts of the reactor (minus the control panel, but that's irrelevant) were contained within a single chunk, as well. I would be happy to provide a save-file for the reactor, as well as directions on how to work its panel.

• Has anyone run into an issue where after saving/reloading chunks in SMP, RedPower 2 (pr3b) timers don't seem to run at the same speed as IC2 reactors? I had a 530 EU/t CASUC design that ran at 2.5 buckets per second, and could run for a full cycle w/o problems, however after saving/loading the map (the reactor was in a safe-off state at the time), I noticed that the cooling system no longer seemed to be able to "keep up" with the reactor, to where instead of operating safely for hours the reactor would melt down after less than 10 seconds of full operation, with the cooling system still working "perfectly." There were no bottlenecks in the cooling system that could have caused the problem, it just appeared that the reactor behaved almost as though it was processing at a faster time-scale than the RP2 cooling system.

I confirmed that all parts of the reactor (minus the control panel, but that's irrelevant) were contained within a single chunk, as well. I would be happy to provide a save-file for the reactor, as well as directions on how to work its panel.

Yes, I've had a timer problem as well, they seem to all (and I mean all of them in the whole world) jam at once on very very rare occasions. I've only had this once, and even rick's reactor with the failsafes, along with many other reliable ones I had in the same world went down. All at the same exact time. In addition, I don't think the version of his which I had used a timer in the failsafe, so it's probably safe to assume that its not just the timers, but that the RP mod in general can sometimes freeze. I'm not entirely sure what's going on either, nor do I have many ideas as to something that might work as a failsafe or work-around. Fortunately, it seems to be very rare, but I really don't like rebuilding anything, I don't like to backtrack.

In my experience though, I don't remember saving/loading the map, it just happened in game if I remember correctly. I could be wrong though. I do think I hit escape... and that does cause an automatic save...

However it is, I really hope that eloraam fixes this one, as I don't know how to work around it. I'll look at the common reported bugs and see if its on there tomorrow, if not, I'll report it.

The thing that makes me so pessimistic (sorry) about solving this one is that it happens to everything at once, including item detectors. As such I don't think there is a decent way of making a good failsafe to prevent against this weird bug. In addition, it is rare enough (at least for me) to be extremely difficult to study what triggers it and how to fix it, yet often enough to still be quite annoying. Imagine a server full of a bunch of CASUC reactors all crashing at once. Even if the server didn't crash from that, the energy production of the area would certainly suffer until things were rebuilt. The chunk error was quite easy to solve, as it was extremely consistent and happened extremely often when we walked away. Even the more robust early versions could be observed working oddly or worse, even if they didn't actually explode, so there was always something to observe. With this bug, its just boom everywhere all at once for no apparent reason (or at least that's what it seems like to me).

• Have you had any problems with timers (RP pr3b) getting wedged on your server? On mine, they work for a while, then get stuck "on" (always emitting a signal from the output). The only way to fix them is to remove and replace them. Moving even a short distance away seems to hasten their demise, but I've had it happen standing right next to them.

On an unrelated note, I wish the Additional Pipes advanced insertion pipe would work on reactors. It always sends buckets to the reactor and drops them on the ground instead of detecting that it's full and recirculating them. :( If that worked properly, it would remove the need for a big chunk of these cooling systems.

Eh, a single transposer or an obby pipe isn't that big a chunk to add on to the system. Not a big deal imo, zeldo's pipes make it almost too easy as it is. There'd hardly be anything left to solve if they recognized fullness etc.

Unfortunately most servers don't use those pipes :( Thus, we're still troubleshooting this, although we're making tons of progress. As far as the timer thing, you're not the only one, but I also have absolutely no ideas on how to solve it.

• In my test system, I was using lava buckets to simulate a heating process in the reactor core while avoiding an actual meltdown, and found that the cooling system was still ticking safely, so it appears to be a slightly different issues from what you were having. As it was SMP, other people were watching the safety systems as well as the bucket fillers / buffers. I've tested more, and the issue persists across multiple loads with the exact same symptoms. I'll probably try copying the file from my SMP host and try it in SSP to see if it still experiences the same issue.

• On an unrelated note, I wish the Additional Pipes advanced insertion pipe would work on reactors. It always sends buckets to the reactor and drops them on the ground instead of detecting that it's full and recirculating them. :( If that worked properly, it would remove the need for a big chunk of these cooling systems.

Ya, the reactor space thing is an industrial craft issue I think, because it uses a function to determine the size of the reactor [3x6 + 1x6 / reactor chamber]. Or else red power would already work perfectly with it, as tubes avoid full inventories as well. If you're using buildcraft for it, you could just use an obsidian pipe where they land and stuff it back into the filling pipe (using an iron pipe obviously so it'd go the right way.)

I found that a bit annoying as well. I tried to find a way around it, and even looked at the code, but I don't think there is since to use buildcraft and/or redpower to add items to the reactor it can't be 6 chambers, so the reactor could potentially always have more space. If we could pipe into the chambers instead of just the core, then it'd probably work perfectly and we wouldn't have the buckets flying out of the reactor.

• Well Ive looked at this stuff and I decided to contribute this:
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…t0=1i10101011201521s1r11r

a lower powered but safer reactor
    the thing is that if a chamber melts then the general heat production of the reactor will go down as the uranium mass is not centered but rather focused on the Right side also, the platings increase the heat tolerance or "Health" of the reactor (they were supposed to be buffed but that hasnt happened yet as of V1.23) by 100 (should be 250)

• Ya, the reactor space thing is an industrial craft issue I think, because it uses a function to determine the size of the reactor [3x6 + 1x6 / reactor chamber]. Or else red power would already work perfectly with it, as tubes avoid full inventories as well. If you're using buildcraft for it, you could just use an obsidian pipe where they land and stuff it back into the filling pipe (using an iron pipe obviously so it'd go the right way.)

I found that a bit annoying as well. I tried to find a way around it, and even looked at the code, but I don't think there is since to use buildcraft and/or redpower to add items to the reactor it can't be 6 chambers, so the reactor could potentially always have more space. If we could pipe into the chambers instead of just the core, then it'd probably work perfectly and we wouldn't have the buckets flying out of the reactor.

The buckets have to keep coming the slightest delay (in this case the time it takes from chest to the reactor) will meltdown the reactor. You cannot wait 10 sec for the buckets to arrive they need to be spammed all the time to prevent delays.

Also lower power generators arent exactly safer. If it bugs then it will explode anyway even with 1 uranium. So to keep it simple:
    Cooling system working: No meltdown
    Cooling system bugged: Meltdown

Less uranium would only increase the time it takes to meltdown but since you arent babysitting it all the time this is quite neglictable.

• Unfortunately most servers don't use those pipes :( Thus, we're still troubleshooting this, although we're making tons of progress. As far as the timer thing, you're not the only one, but I also have absolutely no ideas on how to solve it.

I currently have a test/prototype map up on my server with IC, BC, RP & the additional pipes. If you want to jump on to test SMP stuff, PM me your in-game name.