[suggestion] Ultra Low Transformer

• i think it would be cool if there was a transformer for sending low amounts of power across fairly large distances, so i was thinking make the transformer like the LV transformer just replace the copper bars with tin.

:Rubber Log: :Cable: :Rubber Log:
    :Tin Ingot: :Tin Ingot: :Tin Ingot:
    :Rubber Log: :Rubber Log: :Rubber Log:

:Rubber Log: = wood planks

• As far as I know using iron x4 cable works better. So if your sending 512 packet it takes 1 of lets say every 1 but for fun lets say 5 like copper. Then copper is 1 ever 5.

Well copper 32 packet -1 = 29
    Well Iron 512 packet -1 =511

But this is really the true math...

So if you were say moving 1024 energy.

iron lost 2 energy.
    copper lost 32 energy because it loses one per packet so the larger the packet the more energy saved.

So the real real request you should ask is can we have something like a 2048 battery so we can send out 2048 packets.

Oh Edit the iron is like 1 per 1 so really you lost 5 energy and I mean do the math up that's still a lot but nothing like what the copper looses.

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• I think he's asking for a very low packet transmission medium that has very high efficiency. (Say, max EU current of 10, but only 1 EU lost every 50 meters of LV cabling)

You need a cable to go with your transformer however, as the EU loss is determined by the cable, not by the voltage it carries. The transformers exist (as I understand it) to prevent cables from getting burned up by EU overload.

• Uhm, we can already send 2048 packets, it's called a HV transformer that's redstoned. Over HV x4 cable. The batteries can't take that current though, so it's got to be converted down again. I don't know, unless you could hook up four MFSUs on the line at the other end. Before connecting it to power though, as less than 4 would likely blow up. I'm not even sure if it'd work.

Anyway, you could just place a LV transformer every 4 blocks of copper cable. Although that'd get tedious and expensive, but oh well.

For those new to it, which only recently included me. At first glance each upgrade in cable seems to reduce efficiency, but this is misleading. Higher voltage cables may lose EU twice as fast, but they carry 4 times more energy, so they're actually twice as efficient as the lower voltage cable. So gold cable is twice as efficient as copper, provided that a full 128 EU packet is sent. So HV cable would be 4 times as efficient with 512 EU per packet, or actually like 16 times more efficient than copper as long as you use redstoned transformers to bump it all the way up to EV(Extreme Voltage) at 2048 EU per packet.(HV cable can actually handle up to 2048 EU packets) This is what the HV transformer is for. Glass fiber can only handle 512 EU packets, but it's the most efficient of all, but really expensive.

• Uhm, we can already send 2048 packets, it's called a HV transformer that's redstoned. Over HV x4 cable. The batteries can't take that current though, so it's got to be converted down again. I don't know, unless you could hook up four MFSUs on the line at the other end. Before connecting it to power though, as less than 4 would likely blow up. I'm not even sure if it'd work.

Anyway, you could just place a LV transformer every 4 blocks of copper cable. Although that'd get tedious and expensive, but oh well.

For those new to it, which only recently included me. At first glance each upgrade in cable seems to reduce efficiency, but this is misleading. Higher voltage cables may lose EU twice as fast, but they carry 4 times more energy, so they're actually twice as efficient as the lower voltage cable. So gold cable is twice as efficient as copper, provided that a full 128 EU packet is sent. So HV cable would be 4 times as efficient with 512 EU per packet, or actually like 16 times more efficient than copper as long as you use redstoned transformers to bump it all the way up to EV(Extreme Voltage) at 2048 EU per packet.(HV cable can actually handle up to 2048 EU packets) This is what the HV transformer is for. Glass fiber can only handle 512 EU packets, but it's the most efficient of all, but really expensive.

The previous comments about the efficiency of high voltage cables aren't wrong, I think they might be missing the OP's point a little. His recipe is very light on materials. I believe he is thinking of Ultra-LV as a way to power semi-distant machines early in a IC2 world, as opposed to when the higher voltage cables are available.

I'm not saying that this makes his idea more or less valid, but it might help to discuss it on these terms.

• ERm.. people, tin cables, remember them? Max 3EU packets, brilliant for solars, ultra-low voltage. That's what this is about,

• This is exactly how I'm powering my miner in the SSP world I started during last night's login lockout. However I feel that it's cheating to send 40eU/t in 1eU/t pulses x solar panels down the wire.

edit:
    Actually I can see a case for this in low use areas of a workshop: trickle-charging a batbox and then delivering the output to hungry machines or wiring up a huge bank across a wall would be a nice application (though I /still/ feel that the wire 'blowing up' on voltage and not wattage isn't fair).