Windmill tower calculation check

• Hello guys,

i have created an Excel Spreadsheet to calculate how many energy can produce a windmill farm.

So here is the hypothesis :

- The tower is made of 8 stack of wind mills. far enought from each other to not interact with the nearby stacks.
    - Each stack is a straight cable pointing to sky, and leaving at least 2 cables under the last wind mill with nothing on it.
    -the first layer of each stack always start at the layer 128.

-top view of a stack

....:Wind Mill:
    :Wind Mill: :Cable: :Wind Mill:
    ....:Wind Mill:

-Side view of a stack (for exemple a stack with 3 layers, it can be more or less, that's the point of the calculation ....)

:Wind Mill::Wind Mill::Wind Mill:
    ....:Cable:
    ....:Cable:
    ....:Cable::Cable::Cable::Cable::Cable:

and now here are the maths : for exemple a stack of 15 layers of windmills

explanations of how it works.

layer wind mill : this is the Y position of a layers of wind mill
    wm above : the amount of windmills above the concerned layer in a max range of 4 block according to the behavior of the wind mill.
    wm under : idem, but range max 2b and we must count the 2 cables at least if = 0.
    obstruc : the amount of obstructions. 4 for the layers itself (the windmill isn't a obstruction for itself and i count the center cable). 5 obstruc for each layers above or under the concerned layers. and eventually the minimum of 2 blocks of cable under the stack.
    energy (for ONE layer and for one day/night cycle) : 250*4*(layer-obtructions)
    total : total of all the layers.
    "for tower ub eu/s" typo fail here. i mean the total in eu/s for 8 stacks. so (total*8 )/24000

e.g. for a layers .

layer 125 as 3 layers of mills above (126,127,128 ) and 2 layers of mill under (125,124) so the amount of obstruction is : 5+5+5+4+5+5 = 29 obstructions.

energy outut for this layers is 4*250*(125-29) = 96keu for one day. (so 1eu/s for each mill (96k/(4*24000), still logical). (IT'S OVER NINE THOUSANNND)

Infine, this post has 2 purpose. checking the calculation and sharing the idea. so what do you think of this ? :)

• Very nice windmill setup, suddenly they seem like a worthy opponent to solars :]

In actual usage, you'd need to either use fibre cable or batboxes (then the number of layers is limited by the 32 EU/s output of the batbox) or LV-transformers between every 3 4 layers (max output 128 EU/s) or tin cable once it's fixed.

• Official Post

suddenly they seem like a worthy opponent to solars :]

That was my intention when I remade them :D

Lesson 1: Watch over your crops....

• After some calculations:

In a wind-tower with 32 layers or less, every windmill (by average) makes more energy per iron used than a solar.
    (I counted 10 iron for a windmill and 6 iron for a solar)
    1 layer - 1.525 times more
    2 layers - 1.462
    4 layers - 1.35
    8 layers - 1.228
    16 layers - 1.13
    32 layers - 1.005

If it's more than 95 layers high (more like deep), the total energy produced decreases with every additional layer.

• Does anyone have a saved file of an example of a really packed in area or even video screenshots etc? Right now this is how I generate power:

This is the most efficient way I could think of generating power. But if you think I can save resources and Build as much per area or near that would kick ass.

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• I'm pretty sure it would be an impossibility to make it any more compact and efficient. I used the same design on an old map and currently have plans to do it once more on my map now.

• For the same amount of energy you'd need for example: 8 towers, 13 layers each, fibre cable inside them, spaced 6 blocks between cables and built from the top of the world. It's just a question if you prefer large, flat solar arrays or tall windmill towers :)

For the same amount of energy you'd need for example: 8 towers, 13 layers each, fibre cable inside them, spaced 6 blocks between cables and built from the top of the world. It's just a question if you prefer large, flat solar arrays or tall windmill towers :)

Or both :p there is only 20 blocks without sun on the tower area, this mean you can hit more than 512 eu/s during the day and 350-400 during the night with a tower of 17x17. where you need a 23x23 area with full solar for 512 at day and 0 at night.

and yes, this is uselless unless you want a huge uu matter production or powering an entire town in smp ^^

• Does anyone have a saved file of an example of a really packed in area or even video screenshots etc? Right now this is how I generate power:

This is the most efficient way I could think of generating power. But if you think I can save resources and Build as much per area or near that would kick ass.

I was just messing around and designed a layout for a 27 x 51 solar array (using just tin cables). It did have some gaps though (so only 1359 panels .. which would need to be connected to a HVT *boggles*).
    I think I could do better, and possibly make it square... Ed: Looks like I can do 39x39.. Ed2: Still Gaps [1499 panels..]