Suggestion: Solar optimisation for servers - optional HV pulses

• Solar optimisation for servers - optional HV pulses
    Give the explanation of solars having invisible, (and not actually existent) internal storage, and make them output HV every 512 ticks, and make this a config option? :D This should greatly reduce lag on servers... ;)

edit: And checking the recipes, solars do contain an RE battery, so it's hardly non-sensical. :) If some sort of special override could be done so it could travel over tin wires still, just as if it sent all the pulses at 1 time, as one pulse, that'd be cool, but not necessary. Moving to fiber isn't that expensive.

repost: Post disappeared, but isn't in archives. I cn only assume that it was a mistake, since I was not PM'd about it or anything.

• Solar optimisation for servers - optional HV pulses
    Give the explanation of solars having invisible, (and not actually existent) internal storage, and make them output HV every 512 ticks, and make this a config option? :D This should greatly reduce lag on servers... ;)

edit: And checking the recipes, solars do contain an RE battery, so it's hardly non-sensical. :) If some sort of special override could be done so it could travel over tin wires still, just as if it sent all the pulses at 1 time, as one pulse, that'd be cool, but not necessary. Moving to fiber isn't that expensive.

repost: Post disappeared, but isn't in archives. I cn only assume that it was a mistake, since I was not PM'd about it or anything.

This is a good idea, Though it needs working around.

For instance this cant be the default solar panels as people cant work with that wiring normally until around endgame.
    Though it COULD be the default solar panels if there was a small panel that changed what pulses it sent out.
    So 1EU pulses, 32EU pulses and 128EU pulses with 512EU pulses.
    There could be a small boost in power by storing the energy up as to make a reward for not lagging down the game.
    And to make this whole effort worth it.

+1 thuogh :)

• Well, make it configurable or have the wrench change how much it sends out.
    Great idea overall though, haven't been able to play on a server since my launcher wont connect to the internet anymore but sounds like a good idea.

• making it configurable by each player doesn't work - if one player makes many set to 1EU/t, lag. On large servers, it needs to be unmodifiable. In SP, making it modifiable would be good though.

• Just make solar panels always build up to the lesser of: a pulse that an attached cable can handle, the remaining value a device can sync on a tick. Internal storage should still be equal to one RE battery. (You're either going to be constantly hungry, or you're going to have built up enough storage buffer that a few extra K is noise.)

• Just make solar panels always build up to the lesser of: a pulse that an attached cable can handle, the remaining value a device can sync on a tick. Internal storage should still be equal to one RE battery. (You're either going to be constantly hungry, or you're going to have built up enough storage buffer that a few extra K is noise.)

This man is a genius! (As long as it only checks adjacent wires, and only checks every 512 ticks.)

• I'm assuming there's some kind of worker queue for each tick (since that makes sense at a guess). If you just discharged at a given level and only produce 1eU/tick then your next insertion will be in level*ticks. So a tin wired solar will check once per tick, while copper will pulse once every 32, gold every 128, glass every 512, and HV every 2048.

Probably another optimization would be to maintain lists of panels operating at each level and try to balance the repetition cycles such that an average number of solars fired off each tick, but always at a slot where they would have a chance of providing full power (minimize packet loss).

• Why not try to thread the calculations off the main thread if its not already? Less nerfing stuff more optimizations ;)

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• The problem I foresee in giving high-end pulses for solar panels is it negates the effects of power loss in a system. Currently, if you have a strip of wire (41 blocks of tin, 4 of copper, 6 of ins copper, etc. etc.), it will lose the 1 EU of power that the panel generates before it hits a machine/node. If your suggestion were to be implemented, then the energy would build up over any gaps of loss due to distance before being transmitted. Although the efforts of reducing lag should overshoot the possible "cheats" or overpowering that comes out of the system, those things still need to be taken into account.

What could be done is send X "packets" of 1 EU each every X ticks for each solar panel. There's actually just 1 packet that needs to be delivered containing a 1 EU value, but also contain X EU as a side data point....if the 1 EU is diminished, then the packet can be discarded and all X EU is lost anyway. If the packet arrives safely to a machine/node, then it can give its X EU value instead of the 1 EU.