suggestion/feasiblility question. laser fences

• i have seen a laser mod that allows you to make laser fences, albeit a bit clunky and

i have also seen other mods where objects deploy an telescopic pipe to get working.

More specific the mining well of industrial craft. Not to mention the various engines that got designed model wise.

So I began to wonder what could be possible for such fence idea.
    I'm no programmer expert at all.

What I'm looking for is 3 fold:

1:a deployable fence post that erects itself. It starts as a small stick and telescopes out to 3 or so blocks high.

2: It will connect to neighbouring posts within a certain range automatic. like 4-6 blocks away.

3: is manipulable that you can turn of the post somehow or set behaviour.

additional questions. Would it be possible to have it connect to poles on a different level and/or outside the straight line connection/diagonal?

I like to know how feasible such thing could be. Most logically i would see it as an industrial craft add-on.

info: some pictures of unreal 2 that has sort of the fence i refer to.
    unreal II laser fence

telescopic post

• Normally I would be all for something like this. It sounds cool, but is limited. If I want to get around it I will dig under it or tower over it. Best bet for protection would be the Force Field addon.

• as said, i'm illiterate concerning programming so can you elaborate a bit about what you mean with "moving beam, glowing translucent thingy, block"

in it's most simple form i see it just doing right angles some 4 to 6 blocks between the posts. sort of similar as fences behave only it spans the section in between.. so you can box in your solar collector or mining installation to keep MinecraftCreeper out. that's something i have seen in a simple laser mod. only there it relied on big laser blocks and reflectors. It's just so inelegant and unwieldy to quickly deploy. it also forces you to turn of the whole barrier if you just wanted to pass. ok, there is a way around it, but in that mod using the most powerful setting of the laser would burn through almost everything, including the emitters if you just looped around.

what i was wondering about such objects was what is possible in the minecraft engine.

can it also be programmed to search for other poles that are on an other elevation so you could fence off along the side of an incline?

is making a deployable emitter realistic? that you jab a compacted emitter in the ground and it extents and activates? what animations are possible?

lastly: would it be something that you could consider implementing. i think it might go well with the Tesla coils.

• can you elaborate about the Block-based laser fences? how exactly do you envision those? what I was thinking of was starting with a base object the size a little bigger then a torch or landmark, that telescopes out to a 3 block height. not complete blocks like you build a house with. probably i'm misunderstanding you in the exact wording.

• as said, i could not tell the implications of my choices on the performance. most logically i would think of it to be passable, but damaging. using translucent rays between the posts so your vision is not that impeded.

more complex i'd see it being able to up the damage, with or without knock back up to impenetrable, maybe by generating invisible blocks in between to post to make it physical.

in terms of goals, i'd be pleased already with a fence that i can create boxes with in the same plane around my house and installations using power that sorta zaps and thows mobs back when they try to cross, keeping them from surprise hugging me when i get out of the door. which happened twice already. at times i really dread the creepers, after having them blow up half my installations.

anything beyond that i'd see as a bonus: the following the terrain or power regulation/settings 8o

• I rather like the idea of a laser fence. I currently have a mod installed which lets me set such a thing up, but if such a thing could be done in IC2, I'd very much enjoy this.
    As for how the lasers look and act, I'd suggest thin, red, and static beams. Why? Because it's easier to have a static beam then it is to have it change.
    The Laser Mod implements lasers very well in my opinion. Having the lasers only beam between linked "fences" would be a fair balance. EU cost would depend on distance between "fences" and how much damage they do. For a weaker but still "light 'em on fire" beam, maybe 2 EU a tick per meter of distance between each post. Thus, a two high laser with 7 blocks between the posts would be 14 EU a tick. But a "Mega-Ultra-Lavos-Death-Beam" setting would need a decent nuclear power setup, but would kill anything which passed through it(except maybe ender dragons, but who cares about them?).
    A setting which would prevent item destruction would be great for a mod trap. Assuming you can collect the items safely.

Apprentice Redstoner, Professional Slacker

• If a laser fence mod were to be made I would suggest you make it unable to be broken from the outside. As it stands now the laser mod I have you can make a fence but if u destroy one of the corner blocks then that part goes down. It would be better if it was made invincible while turned on. That way you would have to turn it off to go through it.

• if it makes a difference. instead of beams, would make some translucent pane like field a difference in computing and rendering? instead of small rod like beams?

Not really. But then again, this is MineCraft.