Explanation on the changes to wind mills

• Bricked almost has a good idea there. You want the LV tin cable for the top 40, then a transformer capable of handling the entire maximum input (either an MVTF or an LVTF; it's actually easier (though not cheeper) to build an MVTF) then some proper cable to where-ever... of course you could also just thunk a storage unit at level 88 and call that your treehouse base.

Still needs to /get/ there and build that stuff.

• Bricked almost has a good idea there. You want the LV tin cable for the top 40, then a transformer capable of handling the entire maximum input (either an MVTF or an LVTF; it's actually easier (though not cheeper) to build an MVTF) then some proper cable to where-ever... of course you could also just thunk a storage unit at level 88 and call that your treehouse base.

Still needs to /get/ there and build that stuff.

Have we tested to see if tin cables can melt from wind gens yet? Production of a wind gen can exceed 5 during the right conditions.

• Have we tested to see if tin cables can melt from wind gens yet? Production of a wind gen can exceed 5 during the right conditions.

We haven't, but that's what my earlier calculations were for. Sufficient obstructions must be provided to ensure things remain in place.

• Ok, Ok, slight tweak to my idea : stick a batbox inline in place of cable every 4 blocks. Remember, I am talking about installing only a limited number of generators this way - I need to do some math to figure out how many. Then go to high voltage. Inline batbox can go anywhere there is cable.

For the last 2 groupings (the last 8 generators) don't use a batbox...those will go right to the transformer. (so you don't exceed the 32 EU/tick limit on the batbox)

Only problem is that under some circumstances you'll exceed the current limit of a batbox for a while and it will start to charge up. Might have to use several batboxes to increase the buffer size to reduce the risk of overflow.

• Batbox is not a good idea; it can output 32eU/t in this scenerio. That means 4-5 windgens can max out that tower. You're probably better off, material wise, to build enough obstructing windgens to lower everything's effective height to 80 and just eat the generator efficiency loss for the scale of packing way more than 2x in to the same space to get that obstruction count.

• Batbox can send 128 eu/tick not 32. But it sends it in packets of 32 eu. Usually when a windgen farm becomes so big i got a MFS or better by then. I mean we are talking about 128eu/tick which can power alot of stuff. Even a mass fab will run at a reasonable speed to make some nice stuff.

• Batbox can send 128 eu/tick not 32. But it sends it in packets of 32 eu. Usually when a windgen farm becomes so big i got a MFS or better by then. I mean we are talking about 128eu/tick which can power alot of stuff. Even a mass fab will run at a reasonable speed to make some nice stuff.

Transformers do 4xVolatage rating per tick... storage blocks only do 1x...

• Official Post

This is the picture of my SMP wind farm, its average production is about 4000EU/t
    It has 1600 wind mills, its not entirely safe (some wind mills breaks during thunderstorms/rain), but i can afford repairing it.
    It has 50 Wind towers (32 wind mills)

I'm using EU-splitter cables for wiring due their low EU/block loss (which is equal to tin cables) and it is able to carry up to Extreme Voltage. [I'm using IC² 1.337b]

• Official Post

Wow, do you have any idea how much power your wasting just because of how many blocks are around the windmills? I take it you havn't read this....

http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Wind_Mill

Specifically you will want to read the section, "Detailed Mechanics."

Lesson 1: Watch over your crops....

• Official Post

Nice work :)

Lesson 1: Watch over your crops....

• I’ve just used SpwnX’s tower design on the SMP server I play on. I’m MORE than satisfied.

I built on a mountain so I only needed 27 (9 tin’s worth of) cables to feed all the way from the top of the sky layer down to the MFE in my modest workshop in the top of a mountain. I only needed 6 of them (laid out in his tower format) to power my entire lab. I’m up to 8 now and I’m going to up to 28 when I get home and make my mass-fab.

In single player I was able to get 75-90eu/t from one tower of 32, and with TMI’s ‘rain’ function, up to 100+. I never got the tin cables to fizzle in SMP, probably because I couldn’t evoke a thunderstorm.

In SMP however, my cable line has fizzled twice, both from the top layer cluster of cables. (I find when wires fizzle, they only do so in the direction of power flow. So if any of the lower windgens had made the 5+ burst, the wires above would have been intact.) So I don’t think that having 28 gens would increase my chances of fizzling any more. None of the lower gens seem to be able to do it. (Maybe I should test that by removing the top cluster and replacing them with wood/dirt blocks to see if it fizzles again…) If true, the fix would be quite simple for reliable tin/windgen setups.

If I might address those who don’t like windgen cluster setups… All that fancy math is really pretty on paper, but it deals with single generators, isolated and at the top level of the world. Unfortunately using them in such a way is completely impractical. A real-world setup would be so large as to fill the sky with a lattice-work of gens and wires. The cost of producing something like that would skyrocket past that of solar panels.

I find that SpwnX’s cluster formation packs plenty of oomph into a small form factor that blows Solar out of the water. (At least for those of us who like to live on mountains :3) And with some transformers and HV cables, you can pipe it down to wherever you live. Try it and see!