IndustrialCraft2 Installer

• Hi All,

I have built an installer for IC2 including support mods and would like some testing feedback if possible. I know most of the regular users here don't actually need an installer but the IC2 fanbase is continually growing and I have seen a *few* posts regarding difficulties installing Minecraft mods in general around the various forums. If this application helps new users to get up and running with IC2, all the better.

The link below is for an MSI file which installs a small application to assist users in downloading the correct mod versions and installing the mods into Minecraft.

The installer does not factor in any existing mods and is intended for a clean install of MC 1.1.0

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

TSR_Viper

EDIT: Updated to 1.103 for Minecraft 1.2.5

http://www.box.com/s/8r6fxhguolr4hr53g33i

Installer screenshots:

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Edited 2 times, last by TSR_Viper ().

It's written in VB.NET using visual studio 2010. I've almost completed building the web services for updating the installer automatically as new releases of IC2 come out.

I'm hoping in the first instance to get a few of the more experienced users to look for any issues in the first release or advise of any features that are missing.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt

• Is it possibl that you just make it as a .jar compilation instead of a windows VB .NET type
    (Reason for asking: Because I am on a mac and really like this)

• [align=left][align=center]

Is it possibl that you just make it as a .jar compilation instead of a windows VB .NET type
    (Reason for asking: Because I am on a mac and really like this)

Unfortunately not. The installer does a bit more than just merge files into the jar. Sorry[align=left]

• Really nice work Viper, im sort of a noob to IC and this was very helpful for me ^^

You're most welcome !

• Unfortunately not. The installer does a bit more than just merge files into the jar. Sorry

Actually I didn't mean merging class files, I was asking if you could make the program you have into a .jar so it would be avalible on all systems

• Actually I didn't mean merging class files, I was asking if you could make the program you have into a .jar so it would be avalible on all systems

It's something I can look into, but I haven't done a great deal of Java coding so I wouldn't want to make any promises.

• It looks promising for a future update. Presently, Mono supports up to .Net 2.0 framework but they're working on the 3.0/3.5.

Once this is done, I can pretty easily generate the binaries for a linux deploy :)

Thanks FnordMan!

• I have updated the installer to work with the current version of IndustrialCraft2 (1.62) on Minecraft 1.1.0.

The link is the same http://www.box.com/s/8r6fxhguolr4hr53g33i

A couple of additions to this version;

Update checking utility: Future updates will not require a redownload of the installer. Simply click on the update button and all required details (links, hash codes etc) will be downloaded. Note that you will still need to actually download the new files from their respective sites.

MC Launcher: A utility for running multiple versions of Minecraft. The utility will enable you to run different versions of Minecraft with different mods etc. Please note that this utility requires more field testing. Please make backups of saves etc. Use at your own risk!

• Viper, I was wondering if it would be possible for you to send me the source to this installer as I am currently in the process of self-teaching myself and would like an example to work off of. If you would like, you can remove parts you think would be too... sensitive for me to know (like the IP (I'm assuming) used to update).

But, I would be happy if you can leave as much of the net integration intact possible, but, of course, it is your choice.

• Viper, I was wondering if it would be possible for you to send me the source to this installer as I am currently in the process of self-teaching myself and would like an example to work off of. If you would like, you can remove parts you think would be too... sensitive for me to know (like the IP (I'm assuming) used to update).

But, I would be happy if you can leave as much of the net integration intact possible, but, of course, it is your choice.

Are you after the entire code base or specifically the update checking code? I've put a reasonable amount of effort into this and I'm a little hesitant to hand out the entire code base...

• Net code I can reverse engineer, and read up on if need be. Just the manipulation of the .minecraft folder would do.

File manipulation gets to me.

I can understand how much effort you put into this, and how hesitant you are, I'd be too if I were in your position. Honestly, if you don't want to, then I can understand, I'll work it out.