Suggestion: Booster lane

• it's this http://forum.industrial-craft.…?page=Thread&threadID=215 idea taken one step further.

It's simple. Item, that can be placed on any horizontal and vertical surface. As long as you are touching such block, you can move much faster in any direction, horizontal or vertical. So you can make both "elevators" and "cartless railroads" from it.

Also, to make it simpler, i don't think it should consume electricity. Initial material investment to do lane itself is quite enough.

• It would be a good electrical alternative to minecarts. Although it should require power, maybe a mechanism akin to EU loss in cables. That way it becomes adequately difficult to build this sort of thing over large distances.

• Or perhaps, like the Electric Ladder idea, have it use RE/SU batteries, or if higher EU is needed, use Energy Crystals/Lapotrons (overkill, I know)

• I really don't think that it should be powered, or consume eu, or whatever. We can just say that each block have some energy from the beginning (from some amount of redstone or uranium mixed in), that lasts effectively forever.

If we really, really want it to use eu, I think simplest option is to treat connected lane blocks as a single body, that consume energy per player using it/second.

• I really don't think that it should be powered, or consume eu, or whatever. We can just say that each block have some energy from the beginning (from some amount of redstone or uranium mixed in), that lasts effectively forever.

If we really, really want it to use eu, I think simplest option is to treat connected lane blocks as a single body, that consume energy per player using it/second.

That would require the program to check constantly if/how many players are on it at which point. That seems fairly cpu intensive to me. If it was calculated along the lines of wiring, it shouldnt take more cpu than the new revolutionary wiring code and would balance near/far transport. Using expensive building blocks would make this too difficult to obtain for short distances.

• Program would have to check is there a lane block nearby anyway, to know if player should be boosted. i think it's possible to do power consuming thing in the same part of code.

As for "expensiveness", it should not be expensive, just balanced. I think one uranium ingot per 16 blocks (and some junk, like tin,copper, rubber, coal dust, etc) would be affordable, for "no extra power source" variant.

• Official Post

I've already coded "Electric Ladders" in form of MetalFences.
    MetalFences can either be used as that (fences) OR to create "Poles". Poles will have a true collison box (not a whole block) and can be used as "fast downwards" way... jumping against one and holding shift will cause Steve to slide down at mediocre speed, without fall damage. It's faster then a ladder and could replace water-dropshafts.

Additionally, you can create a Magnetizer block. If places below or above a pole, it will charge up a pole of max 20 length. Charged poles will accelerate players upwards (quite fast) if they are wearing metal boots (Iron, Gold, Chain, Nano). Without metal boots, they act as casual poles.

I've had loads of fun creating "Obstacle parcours" from this, where you had to use momentum and stuff to get from pole to pole :D