[Most Likely Addon] RP2 Gemmed Tools

• I was wondering if someone could create the option to use RP2 gems on tools like Drill (almost but not as fast as diamond).
    Thx in advance. :D

• Every time I find a gem in my 1.0 RP world, I can't help but think "That could have been something more useful... like a diamond"

Gem tools are nice, considering that I'm positively STARVING for diamonds there... but so far, they are a largely unnecessary addition to the game.

• Every time I find a gem in my 1.0 RP world, I can't help but think "That could have been something more useful... like a diamond"

Gem tools are nice, considering that I'm positively STARVING for diamonds there... but so far, they are a largely unnecessary addition to the game.

But still hopefully someone does this :D

• So you would have a gen drill until you find 3 diamonds or 192 coal to macerate into dust to make industrial diamonds... That is pretty pointless if you ask me, one of the first things i acquire after i have a generator, macerator and electro furnace is 3 diamonds to make myself a diamond drill. Why would i want to make one that i will never use after i have those 3 diamonds?

The RP2 gems are very useful for other things such as making cutters (to make sub blocks) and in the future those gems are going to be used for lots of other things. Hence why they, among tungsten etc, are part of RP2 world with so few uses. They will have a use in a future release of RP2 so don't throw them away.
    If you have too many of them just make gem blocks which cuts the required storage in 9.

• So you would have a gen drill until you find 3 diamonds or 192 coal to macerate into dust to make industrial diamonds... That is pretty pointless if you ask me, one of the first things i acquire after i have a generator, macerator and electro furnace is 3 diamonds to make myself a diamond drill. Why would i want to make one that i will never use after i have those 3 diamonds?

The RP2 gems are very useful for other things such as making cutters (to make sub blocks) and in the future those gems are going to be used for lots of other things. Hence why they, among tungsten etc, are part of RP2 world with so few uses. They will have a use in a future release of RP2 so don't throw them away.
    If you have too many of them just make gem blocks which cuts the required storage in 9.

No you would use them instead you wouldn't change (you would be able to) like using diamond to make it (and also it would look good) :D Aesthetics

• That's what I've been doing. And I have been using them for tools, precisely because I don't have IC2 on my 1.0 world and cannot make diamonds or rechargeable tools.
    Apparently, Mojang changed the diamond generation in 1.0 worlds - they spawn lower than before and are a pain to find. I've managed to acquire 22 so far, half of which went into my Quarry. Add in a handsaw, refinery, and a logger for my tree farm and I'm down to one. I need at least 7 more to make my cactus and sugarcane collectors.

• That's what I've been doing. And I have been using them for tools, precisely because I don't have IC2 on my 1.0 world and cannot make diamonds or rechargeable tools.
    Apparently, Mojang changed the diamond generation in 1.0 worlds - they spawn lower than before and are a pain to find. I've managed to acquire 22 so far, half of which went into my Quarry. Add in a handsaw, refinery, and a logger for my tree farm and I'm down to one. I need at least 7 more to make my cactus and sugarcane collectors.

If you need diamonds I suggest EE (surly you know what it is) unless you think its cheating, but I don't know how people can think that as you need so much more. I haven't found much diamonds either (i didn't know that Mojang changed the diamond rate, but oh well). And final back to IC, it would look good having Ruby Drills, do you think? :D :D :D

• Hum... diamonds were already a pain enough to find in 1.8.1... Even the automated miner wasn't getting /spectacular/ rates (just good enough). Maybe the IC game balance can swing a bit back the other way on glass fibre cable costs.

• Hum... diamonds were already a pain enough to find in 1.8.1... Even the automated miner wasn't getting /spectacular/ rates (just good enough). Maybe the IC game balance can swing a bit back the other way on glass fibre cable costs.

Thats an idea :D but RP2 gems are easier to find. But anyway you could have low quality fibre optic cable :D

• Official Post

I don't think that adding RP Gem tipped drills (or an add-on) would be balanced at all. If I remember correctly, the Gem pickaxes are a step between iron and diamond, meaning they are the strength of iron when harvesting (Cannot collect obsidian), and have a number of uses somewhere in between that of iron and diamond (comparable to Bronze pickaxes).

After re-reading the OP: So you want a useless alternative between the normal an diamond tipped drills? Trading off a slight increase of harvesting speed for less uses (Consumes more power to go faster you know) AND not be able to harvest Obsidian?

• Since they function the same as iron drills for harvesting, then there is absolutely no point to a gem-tipped drill. The only difference is in number of uses, which is irrelevant for an electical tool that can be recharged.
    Sounds like an idea that would needlessly complicate things with no significant result.

• Diamonds in 1.8.1 are no problem - between being able to make them in IC2 via coal or masfab, and being able to safely mine them on level 12, the supply is sufficient.

On 1.0, however, neither of those options are possible. Diamonds used to spawn up to level 16, with 1.0 it's now only up to 14. So mining at level 12 only gets you the top of the zone - the sweet spot lies near bedrock. Even branch mining at level 6 hasn't yeilded as many for me as the old way did.

• I don't think that adding RP Gem tipped drills (or an add-on) would be balanced at all. If I remember correctly, the Gem pickaxes are a step between iron and diamond, meaning they are the strength of iron when harvesting (Cannot collect obsidian), and have a number of uses somewhere in between that of iron and diamond (comparable to Bronze pickaxes).

After re-reading the OP: So you want a useless alternative between the normal an diamond tipped drills? Trading off a slight increase of harvesting speed for less uses (Consumes more power to go faster you know) AND not be able to harvest Obsidian?

Oh is it similiar to Iron (i didnt kno that) Oh well :D:Industrial Diamond: and normal ones will do then. ^^