Suggestion: Rework OverVoltage Explosions [ NEW POLL ADDED]

• [READ POST BEFORE VOTING!] How do you rate this idea on a scale of 1-10? 27

1. 10 = Ablaka should drop everything right now to implement this by next release. (5) 19%
    2. 9 = The mod seriously needs this right away. (12) 44%
    3. 8 = I love it. (2) 7%
    4. 7 = I like it/ I would like to see it in game, but could wait 1 or 2 releases. (3) 11%
    5. 6 = Good idea. (1) 4%
    6. 5 = could care less either way (1) 4%
    7. 4 = Not Sure (0) 0%
    8. 3 = I don't care for it (2) 7%
    9. 2 = I DO NOT want this. (0) 0%
    10. 1= AGH! NO! ICK! THIS WOULD RUIN MY GAME!!!! (1) 4%
    11. Other : (I don't understand the post/ certain things you are saying are confusing) PLEASE post in topic if you chose this option. (0) 0%

Previous poll results:
    "How do you want machines to react with voltage too high for them?"
    Current System (Explodes upon reaching a tier too high (low volt [32 EU] receiving >32 volt) = 23%
    Fry circuit at one tier higher, and explode upon two tier higher (low volt would fry at >32 but <128, and explode at >128 (can repair with a circuit.) = 74%
    Fry at all tiers too high for the machine (Low volt receiving anything >32 eus.) = 4%

As we all know, when you give a machine too high of a voltage, it explodes with immense consequences, usually ruining everything around. Although machines vary, most blow up at medium voltage. Although I currently like this current system, and want it to some degree, you have to agree that it is not very realistic. What I am proposing is that if a machine receives a level of Eu a tier higher than it can accept (eg. low voltage machines like macerators receiving medium voltage) than rather than it explodes, it would fry the circuit inside it. Basically rendering it useless, the machine would no longer work, and the gui (if possible) would appear blackened and cracked. And what do I do with a machine that recently has been fried? Well, I just right click it with a circuit to place the circuit inside and repairing the machine. This would still provide a penalty for new users for crossing higher voltage over low voltage lings, but not destroying everything they worked hard on. Of course, if I ran high voltage ( >128 ) through a low-volt machine (32), it would still explode. I did also think about reworking the current tier system, having basic machines like macerators and extractors use ultra-low current up to 5 eus, than between 5-32 the circuit would fry, and anything >32 would have it explode, but that would require a new batbox or transformer, and I believe Alblaka already stated he would not implement ultra-low voltage transformers, so this particular part of my idea wouldn't happen. Let me know what you guys think, any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. Take care ,
    - Sirbrandino

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• I like it.

It would help teach people about the voltage system, and since you are unlikely to jump from T1 to T3 instantly, the chance of exploding from lack of knowledge is low.

• Basically what I was thinking, as you plunk down the hard earned mfe and hook it up to your machines, they all don't suddenly explode, but rather, hrm, burn :P

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)

• The question is how should this escalate?

If you feed a 32EU Machine 128... yeah a lightning once did something similar to my TV... it definatly didn't explode but you should add a fire on top and the screen imploded somehow. But what if you feed the same machine (not my TV^^) 512 or to be really insane over 1000EU (directly from a CASUC)?

(Actually I build a SMP trap with the explotion, I placed a full recycler somewhere (64 dirt, 64 scrap) so it won't get new items from RP-Tubes. But it was connected via tubes behind a wall. If you took out some of the materials RP sends new items to it, which trigger a redstone current blowing the recycler via overload^^. Really Stupid (and expensive -.-) and it only works with a recycler because of the fast cycles)

So I guess explotions should still occur if you totally screw things. Sending your whole CASUC-Output directly into a Macerater (while screaming "Macerate this!" of course) should cause havoc... but some overload not.

• Exactly, if you read the last portion of my post, it is very similar to what you just suggested. Basically if it is 2 tiers too high for a machine (hi-volt going to a low-volt machine) it would still explode.

• I did also think about reworking the current tier system, having basic machines like macerators and extractors use ultra-low current up to 5 eus

They actually use up to 5 EU/t. Problem here is that when you create so low output, only 1-2 machines would be able to run at once. If you would want to run more machines, you would have to create more storage places capable of so low output. You can connect quite a lot of basic machines to only one BatBox, which is very good, because you dont have to worry about wiring much.
    It would be nice to have Ultra-Low voltage transformer to be able to transfer low current (i think it would be up to 32 EU/t) through tin cable to more distant places earlygame. It is not that fast, so EV and glass fibre would still make sense, but there is little problem with that because you cant divide 32EU packet to 5EU packets. Increasing Ultra-low voltage to 8 EU/p would solve it, but it would interfere with windmills burning cables, and so on.

• Yeah, the lower tier wouldn't work without some serious thought on how to implement. But I think the rest of my post can stand quite well in the game currently. Interested to see what Alblaka thinks.

• No ULV Transformer. Tin cables are exclusively meant to gather low-voltage packages without much loss.

You seem to miss the point of my post. That fact was an afterthought. What I am suggesting is a rework of how the machines handle higher voltage.

• Ah...
    Dunno about.

*Shrugs Shoulders*
    Welp, I added a poll to see what other users think. I believe it should be possible coding wise, and without the need to add any new blocks (Although you may need a new Gui)

IMHO, I think this would benefit the game much more in terms of making it more realistic, as well as helping new players not rage quit upon blowing up their machines in that first unstable beginnings.
    I personally still wish to see machines explode upon reaching a tier that is 2 levels too high, instead of the current, give one more eu over 32 and boom system.

• Official Post

If that is implemented, that will be good for mass fabricators, which if it is exploded on ground make a crater of 16 diameter + 6 deep [tested now] [MC 1.0.0/IC² 1.43]
    I somehow managed to exploded one on a smp server, 3/4 of my house was destroyed (32x32 plot), all chests were destroyed and server lagged due high number of items on ground =\

• If that is implemented, that will be good for mass fabricators, which if it is exploded on ground make a crater of 16 diameter + 6 deep [tested now] [MC 1.0.0/IC² 1.43]
    I somehow managed to exploded one on a smp server, 3/4 of my house was destroyed (32x32 plot), all chests were destroyed and server lagged due high number of items on ground =\

Maybe, although I currently like the mass fabs exploding upon reaching extreme voltage. Kinda makes it feel dangerous, and on the edge. besides, the point of this is to help new players, who probably aren't building mass fabs until they know a bit about IC2. Up to the dev team though.

• Official Post

Maybe, although I currently like the mass fabs exploding upon reaching extreme voltage. Kinda makes it feel dangerous, and on the edge. besides, the point of this is to help new players, who probably aren't building mass fabs until they know a bit about IC2. Up to the dev team though.

To mention the obvious: Massfabs (and massfabs only) have an intentionally oversized explosion upon uebercharge. Hell, it's a physic-deniying device, wtf did you exspect? :O

• Exactly the reason why I want it to stay that way, Alblaka, for mass fabs.

• Good idea, but I think that EV will blow up ANYTHING (but an HV transformer)

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• Good idea, but I think that EV will blow up ANYTHING (but an HV transformer)

Ugh. I feel like Alblaka. To re-cap:

Low volt machines ( like :Extractor::Compressor: )fry (lose circuits and blackened gui) at medium volt and explode at high volt and higher.
    Medium volt machines ( Induction furnace) fry at high volt and explode at extreme volt.
    Mass fabs don't change.

• A question included in such things is always the amount of blockIDs. I guess a damage-value should do it?

I'm pretty sure no additional block ids would be used, you could probably just throw a clever "if" hook in there.