[Suggestion]Cinnabar

• Introduction: Cinnabar is Mercury ore and this will be an attempt to add Mercury to the game.

Availability: This could be a new ore avaliable or something that can be obtained through a recipe. (Something to do with lava and water as it occurs naturally near volcanoes and alkaline hot springs)

Creation: Cinnabar would then be macerated to form Cinnabar dust which is run through a furnace to obtain molten Cinnabar and then finally an extractor to obtain Mercury.

Uses: Mercury can be used to create a number of objects, Thermometers, Advanced Coolant, Accelerated Fuel, Mercury Battery, also opens up fancy items like a Telescope, which can be used to predict weather (if possible)

Thermometer:
    Creation:
    [Glass][Redstone][Glass]
    [Glass][Mercury Blob][Glass]
    [Glass][Iron][Glass]

Uses: When used on the surface will tell you the temperature and windspeed. When used underground will tell you the temperature (higher when close to lava). When used in a Reactor can let you know how hot the reactor is (Useful to see if you have enough cooling)

Advanced Coolant:
    Creation:
    [Mercury Blob][Empty Cell] = [Mercury Cell] ----> Extractor

Uses: More effective than the current coolant cell. Possible side effects if that is not viable.

Accelerated Fuel:
    Creation:
    [Mercury Cell][CoalFuel Cell] = [Accelerated Fuel Cell] ----> Canning Machine

Uses: Provides double(Variable rate based on discussion) the ability to fill a Fuel Can. 1 Accelerated Fuel Cell = 2(var) CoalFuel Cells.
    NB. Recipe applies for Biofuel with possible variable rates.

Mercury Battery:
    Creation:
    :Cable:
    [Mercury Blob]
    :Coal Dust:

Uses: Single Use Mercury Batteries are higher storage than the 1000 of the single use. Possibly the same as a rechargeable battery.

Telescope:
    Creation:
    :Gold Dust: [Glass] :Gold Dust:

:Refined Iron: [Mercury Blob] :Refined Iron:

:Refined Iron:

Uses: The block is placed down and provides a weather map (if possible) of the surrounding area. Possibly a forecast for the next 'week' as well. It also opens up space ideas, Meteorites could be used as a way to bring more ores into the game etc. If it also tells windspeed and direction would be useful with wind generators.
    NB. The telescope is the least practical use for Mercury (although very practical in the real world). It is also less like its real world counterpart, deep space telescope, and more like a Meteorological Weather Radar.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to feedback (and other possible uses for Mercury)

• Official Post

For once somebody suggest an ore an actually an array of possible uses instead of a single one.
    Kudos for that, but unless we run out of ideas, this is low priority still ^^'
    As well, strongly dislike adding new ores, as they would require people to start new maps / explore distant regions to be obtained.

• Official Post

For once somebody suggest an ore an actually an array of possible uses instead of a single one.
    As well, strongly dislike adding new ores, as they would require people to start new maps / explore distant regions to be obtained.

Instead of new ores, a way to produce mercury industrially?
    UU-Matter recipe maybe?

Or Nuclear fusion
    Au(79 p) + H(1p) = Hg(80p)? [This is not very realistic since lots of physics rules are ignored but we have mass fabricators why not that?]

Coolant cell -> extractor -> Hydrogen cell

Gold dust + Hydrogen cell -> inside a VERY hot nuclear reactor -> Mercury blob

You can also change luminator recipe and add mercury to it, since mercury when receives energy emits a white light.

• Due to Cinnabar being found near Lava and Alkaline Springs possibility of using a recipe to 'extract' it from stone.

:Electrolyzed Water Cell: :Lava Cell: [Stone] = Mineral Stone

Mineral Stone -> Extractor = Cinnabar Fragment x 4 or 9 = Cinnabar Ore.

This way it uses existing items to create the new ore.

• For once somebody suggest an ore an actually an array of possible uses instead of a single one.

Not going to argue, that does suck usually (my mod is prone to it just about every update) but truthfully, how many people currently can say they've had the same version of their world for the past x versions of IC2? And if you run SMP, you can simply "delete" a chunk to respawn it anyway, so you could actually reform your wilderness with the updated ores.

I can see why you wouldn't want to do it frequently, but maybe its about time to wrap up a bunch of ores you want to add and do them all in one push perhaps? This idea is fantastic and I can safely say IC2 really really needs a thermometer.. especially for Reactors.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• I can see why you wouldn't want to do it frequently, but maybe its about time to wrap up a bunch of ores you want to add and do them all in one push perhaps? This idea is fantastic and I can safely say IC2 really really needs a thermometer.. especially for Reactors.

RP2 did that. It's a wee bit annoying not to have a use for Tungsten... Or Gems, beyond tools and blocks.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• RP2 did that. It's a wee bit annoying not to have a use for Tungsten... Or Gems, beyond tools and blocks.

You're speaking to the man who's mod is 14 new metals solely made for tools/armor/blocks ;) but that's off topic.

I can understand the issues with having too many ores with too few uses, but you have to remember, for the longest time Gold was only used for Golden Apples at most (before that it was just tools/armor). It took people suggesting good things to improve uses for the ore for them to come up with some interesting new things, and I assume the same can happen here over time. So even if Thermometers is all you can do with Mercury for the time being, I'm sure there will be more ideas that'll spring up later.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Hg exists not only as cinnabar, but also as a liquid (there are seas of Hg in Spain). Cinnabar won't be found near lava, but in geological active zones (real lava would just burn it^^). But cinnobar isn't a material that is really needed in IC2. You could use it for mirrors too, but that's only the second use.

Aluminium is something more industrial and even there it is hard to find uses. Because normally you use most other metals for the same things you already use Iron etc. for. You could make Aluminium for cans instead of tin and it makes a good construction material, but we have steel and again iron (oh... and even bronze). So there is no real reason for such materials because they are already substituted by iron, steel, tin, copper and bronze.

The only thing I could imagine is a ore with just precious metals inside. This could be after some hard refining-process iridium or could be used as substitute for every rare materials like platin, zirconium or palladium... but again there is no real need for this materials. In reality we only use little amounts of them, using them in the crafting grid would create something that is created to 1/9 from this material... quite much. Most likely advanced circuits would include small amounts of zirconium or other precious metals and of course a little bit gold (... according to IC2 the gold is part of the glowstone-dust, so actually we use gold). But you don't use enough of this to make it worth it's own ore. Actually Zirconium and Niobium or Tantalum could be used for reactor-plating or other parts of reactors... but that's mainly the only use.

• Hg exists not only as cinnabar, but also as a liquid (there are seas of Hg in Spain). Cinnabar won't be found near lava, but in geological active zones (real lava would just burn it^^). But cinnobar isn't a material that is really needed in IC2. You could use it for mirrors too, but that's only the second use.

Aluminium is something more industrial and even there it is hard to find uses. Because normally you use most other metals for the same things you already use Iron etc. for. You could make Aluminium for cans instead of tin and it makes a good construction material, but we have steel and again iron (oh... and even bronze). So there is no real reason for such materials because they are already substituted by iron, steel, tin, copper and bronze.

The only thing I could imagine is a ore with just precious metals inside. This could be after some hard refining-process iridium or could be used as substitute for every rare materials like platin, zirconium or palladium... but again there is no real need for this materials. In reality we only use little amounts of them, using them in the crafting grid would create something that is created to 1/9 from this material... quite much. Most likely advanced circuits would include small amounts of zirconium or other precious metals and of course a little bit gold (... according to IC2 the gold is part of the glowstone-dust, so actually we use gold). But you don't use enough of this to make it worth it's own ore. Actually Zirconium and Niobium or Tantalum could be used for reactor-plating or other parts of reactors... but that's mainly the only use.

The truth and strangest thing is IF Mercury was not poisonous it would be an amazingly useful material. Every use I suggested for mercury is a real world use for it, excepting the fact that it isnt used for toxicity reasons. Beyond those reasons are a number of other lesser reasons that could still be effective.
    http://www.glrppr.org/docs/mercury_in_industry.htm