Simple tutorial CASUC 490EU/t

• i have to say, nice small compact system. but stil, i like my ice plants :)

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• I don't like ice, because ice is very difficult to get a hold of without advanced machines addon or Equivalent Exchange or other balance altering addons or mods. I feel advanced machines is too overpowered. Buckets of water cool more than ice, and seem to work quite well. Haven't tested this on SMP, but even if buckets disappear, unless it happens frequently, it wouldn't affect this. You simply keep 8 buckets in the deployer past what it needs to stay at equilibrium.

The build in my video requires NO addons to anything. Only IC2 for the reactor and RP2 for automation.

• Hey guys. Just noticed a problem in the old tutorial. Uploaded a corrected tutorial. The old tutorial's reactor did NOT technically get 490EU/t. this one does.

• I built it exactly as you show in the tutorial, loaded as many water buckets into it as possible... before adding uranium the reactor chamber and deployer were completely full of water buckets.
    Shortly after adding the 13 uranium cells, the reactor overheats and explodes. Any idea what went wrong? Buckets were still moving through the system but not every slot in the reactor was full. I did have it set to .550 seconds on the timer and seriously, it blew before I could even make it tick faster.

• If your deployer saturated with buckets it could cause a problem possibly. Also be sure to watch the vid again. I reuploaded a new one. The timer has to be 0.500s. 0.550s isn't fast enough. make sure you're not on a chunk border too. I've heard that can cause problems.

Also note that I probably have more than 9 buckets in my version. You want to end up with a number of buckets that makes it so the deployer doesn't cycle through it's buckets. It should look like it's constantly reusing the same bucket.

• I did watch the new video - I guess I just don't know where that fine line is between "not enough buckets in the system" and "too many".
    Not sure how to tell if it's on a chunk border, but the fact that it happened twice in different locations makes that less likely.

It's clear that the trick is in getting the right number of buckets moving through the system, but how many and how to accomplish that aren't clear in the video.

• I did watch the new video - I guess I just don't know where that fine line is between "not enough buckets in the system" and "too many".
    Not sure how to tell if it's on a chunk border, but the fact that it happened twice in different locations makes that less likely.

It's clear that the trick is in getting the right number of buckets moving through the system, but how many and how to accomplish that aren't clear in the video.

Stupid Question are you trying this in SSP or SMP ?

I just threw buckets in until it was always using the same slot over and over with some extra in the deployer. also if you put your reactor any further than i did it will be too far and it'll splode.

• I'm doing this in SSP. Construction is exactly as in the video. I begin by filling the deployer and reactor chamber with full buckets, so there are 27 to start. Replacing 13 of these with uranium cells means 14 buckets are in the loop, and I try to add as many of the others to the deployer as possible. The expected behavior is that the depoyer, and the reactor, should show as just one bucket appearing to be constantly refilled while the others appear to be sitting there full... this is not happening.

I simply cannot see where I am deviating from the example, and with such an immediate and catastrophic result. I'll keep working on it, because I'm truly curious to get it running stable and then see if immersing the reactor chamber in water will result in additional cooling. It may be possible to get this to run a full cycle that way, but I won't know until I can get that far. It's unfortunate that the thermometer add-on isn't being updated, because that would help immensely.

• OK, tried it again, this time with the timer running at .500 sec while I loaded buckets into the depoyer. I applied a lever to the reactor while I swapped in the cells.
    It did get pretty hot at first, but I was able to build a containment vessel around it and immerse it in 19 blocks of water.

It's still running hot enough to create smoke particles, but not hot enough to damage me and there doesn't appear to be any evaporation in the containment vessel.

If the tubing could be made a little longer, it might be possible to increase the amount of immersive cooling, but it might compromise the speed at which buckets are introduced.
    I'm also pondering ideas for a failsafe to shut it down if it begins to overheat - but I know very little about that sort of thing and I can't think of how to do it without removing at least one or more water blocks.
    Also wondering if wiring the machines from below would allow me to ue the blocks directly above them for more immersion cooling.

I'm currently seeing if it can run an entire cycle like this without exploding.

• Well, it's been running for the past hour, staying cool enough that one of the water buckets remains untouched while two or three of them are constantly swapped.
    So that would indicate to me that it's running somewhere between 4500-4750 degrees - any hotter and it would use the other bucket (and possibly evaporate some of the immersive cooling), any cooler and there would be more unused buckets in the chamber. I really wish I had the thermometer add-on to confirm this!

But it looks like it's stable at that heat level - no sign that the heat is increasing in any way. Next I'm going to test to see if I can set up the redwire and timer differently to give me a bit more immersive cooling.

[EDIT: By the way, your total yield for a full cycle is 98 Million EU, not 49... remember that reactors were doubled differently than just generators this time around.]
    [Final Result: Found a 1.43-compatible Thermometer, heat is staying around 4300 degrees while in operation. When immersed in water, runs a full cycle at less than 50% heat, cools down in a few minutes and is totally ready to go again!
    Also, it's possible to wire the RP machines from below, giving a couple of extra blocks for immersion cooling. Thanks for the great design! I plan to implement this in my world as soon as I'm able.]

• For anyone interested, I did add a world download to this tutorial so that anyone having trouble can see if the world download from the build in the tutorial itself works.

• Perfect balance seems to be net worth of 12 buckets and must be a 0.500 timer. Not sure anyone can confirm this. Remember there is a buffer of buckets so remove the uranium to have them drain into the machine and do your count.

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• You're doing the reactor wrong in those pics. Your water will evaporate since it seems to be within the 5x5x5 cube centered on the core of the reactor.

• It never gets hot enough to evaporate the water. As I said, I ran it for a full cycle and it never reached 5000 degrees.
    It's true that the best practice for water cooling is flow from outside the evaporation range, but one of the things I wanted to test was if that was even a possible concern. Looks like it wasn't after all.