[Question] Ore BlockIDs / Macerator-Function

• It's rather simple. It seems somehow a waste that every Ore has it's own BlockID. I wonder if there is a reason for this or if you could merge them into one ID with several Damage-Values. It seems changing the ID of Ores is possible and BC switched IDs without breaking Maps too, but maybe there is a reason for this.

The second Question is in regards of the Macerator and similar machines. It is possible to consume two or more items in one cycle? Actually the macerator macerates everything into one or more outputs. But could it also provide one output while using up more then one of the input items (like compressing 2 dirt into cobblestone just as an example).

The third question is about the time needed for one cycle. It seems that some processes take longer then others. Maybe it's an illusion because you have to wait for your rubber etc. but is it possible to make different processes cost different amounts of time? (Like I-Diamonds take longer then compressing sand to sandstone)

• 1. We added those ores before Eloraam added the neccessary patches in Forge to use a single block id, migrating existing worlds isn't that easy.
    2. The implementation supports it, but it's currently unused.
    3. The processing time is currently fixed.

Migrating words? How about making new chunks/ores use the damage packed method so anyone creating a new world now, or doing chunk regens now, can turn off support for the old ore IDs/free those IDs as soon as they are ready. Transition ready releases go a long way to fixing such issues.

• Migrating words? How about making new chunks/ores use the damage packed method so anyone creating a new world now, or doing chunk regens now, can turn off support for the old ore IDs/free those IDs as soon as they are ready. Transition ready releases go a long way to fixing such issues.

Also, it's pain if anyone has any ores stored away in a chest somewhere, those are hard to convert to one ID.

• There are steps one can take (such as with the recent RP2 renumbered required by vanilla stuff consuming those IDs); however every so often it's nice to just nuke and start fresh with the ability to use the new tech and all those things you learned before helping you past the 'mistakes' you made while learning.

• The question is always if it's worth it.

If IC2 uses more IDs in the future maybe for AlbOS it may become an issue, yet again it isn't something that should be hurried, because... it's work, and this means it will delay something else. But the wording implies that it is possible even if it's hard and that was the question, in no way I request it (or even demand), but it is good to know that the IC2-Team would like it to, but that there Ores are just "too old". I guess this goes for some other blocks which might be combined in one ID too?

• Well, the next version, from what I've heard, is supposed to work with Robinton's 4096 Block ID mod quite nicely. So, who knows, maybe this whole thing will work?

• Well, the next version, from what I've heard, is supposed to work with Robinton's 4096 Block ID mod quite nicely. So, who knows, maybe this whole thing will work?

The problem is servers.

BC + RP2 + IC2 + Addons (BC & IC2) will kill almost all your IDs. Add in Railcraft or Forestry and your done (I guess there are about 20 IDs left in this case).

IC2: 31 IDs
    BC: 25 IDs
    RP2: 14 IDs
    Railcraft: 5 IDs
    Forestry: 10 IDs

So vanilla Items go up to 119 if I'm right. So you might run into problems because this 5 mods (which aren't that uncommon) use up 85 IDs. And the largest ones are IC2 and BC (I guess it is because they were created before the necessary forge-things where done, so it would be possible to place most machines in a single ID but it is a pain to do this now).

The ExtendedIDs only work on clients. At least I haven't seen a version for servers so you are somehow limited. The limit is large and actually we haven't reached it (of course you could "jam" your modfolder, but if you only use mods that work well with each other you normally don't run into issues), but I can't see any of this 5 Mods to stop implementing new features and this will bring up problems sooner or later.

Any sort of "generalieable" blocks, f.e. a set of various different CPU-elements with equal attributes (resistance, stepsounds, transparency) can be compressed into a single ID.
    Same like my infinite number of crops is just a single block. Greetz,

I understand that you don't waste IDs on purpose :P (Mohjang does this enough) and it is not really a complain, because I don't run into issues yet, but the IDs might become an issue later, even if not in the next few updates.

PS: Maybe if Mohjang implements a new ID which will screw modders again it might be a good time to at least condense the ores, but doubling the old ones withoutt generating them? So people could use a whole upgrade to mine the old ores that aren't generated anymore and they could be dumped later.

• Actually if you look in the config files for the block IDs or /give your self things --most-- of the items in IC area already condensed by damage ID. Similarly the reason RP2 items only allow some kinds of things to combine is because they use different components of the modular mod and each system (pneumatics, blutricity, redwire, logic stuff) uses it's own block ID for consolidation; BUT most of the 'damage values' area already consumed.

Really the only possible areas for IC2 to reduce the actual in-game blocks are related to ores and blocks of ore produced material; even THOSE could best be reduced by having ores and ingot blocks (the two things that need block IDs) to be allocated by Forge so they can be mod-independent. However that would only free... about 4-5 blocks. Engine limitations (all damage values of a block must share various properties, like explosion resistance, functionality in general, etc) make most of the other blocks require their own entire ID. As much as I'm for squeezing out those blocks to make it take the minimum number possible... that still only allows a few of the smaller and more specific mods.

• Hmmm... I'm not sure if it wouldn't be possible to combine Extractor/Macerator/Compressor. Bluelectric Furnace and Alloy Furnace share a ID too (at least I think they do). But even making 4-5 blocks free is a good thing. Actually BC doesn't need that many IDs. The old pipes are still there to load older worlds. I guess you could free them if you don't plan to load a old world (loading it would change all pipes to the new "universal" pipe), which would open up some space.

• The machines are already almost all compressed; there are >16 machines, but only 2 block IDs for them. If you look at my spoiler I marked with ? and * the blocks that MIGHT be free-able given constraints. Anything else would require disabling parts of IC2.

• Theoretically forge could be ue to bash vanilla into ~40 IDs. But it would require way too much rewriting, would cripple all present saves and be a pain to port after each release.

Na, that would be to much.

But forge should be able to reserve an ID for Saplings which is stuffed with more and more saplings over time. No idea if this is possible, but as a block most saplings should behave similar, no idea if the time it takes to growth into a tree is data of the block or something different.

Another thing that I thought about is adding blocks as damage-values for vMC-Blocks. It's still a pain to do, but it should be possible to implement rubberwood as another damage-value to normal vMC-wood because it behaves the same and it won't cripple saves, because the blockIDs of normal wood won't change... still it is hard to do, but it's nice to evaluate options.

But well most of my initial questions are answered, but thanks you participated even in this more or less pointless discussion (because... well we're talking about much work for little gain), but it increased my understanding about possibilities in minecraft to some extend which is a good thing (at least for me).

• Really, forge should already be bashing addon ores/ingots/ingot blocks/saplings/similar plants in to single IDs for each type of thing. Mods should support that now, and make it a default later (allowing port now while less painful, or start clean with no pain later).

Turning on 'compact vanilla IDs' should be a further option for those with -many- mods; and the forge IDs should be packed in with them. It would also make sense to reserve the larger/more common forge member damage values as default IDs to be recycled only as a last resort (that way you could drop in say buildcraft or rp2 at a later date).

• Really, forge should already be bashing addon ores/ingots/ingot blocks/saplings/similar plants in to single IDs for each type of thing. Mods should support that now, and make it a default later (allowing port now while less painful, or start clean with no pain later).

Turning on 'compact vanilla IDs' should be a further option for those with -many- mods; and the forge IDs should be packed in with them. It would also make sense to reserve the larger/more common forge member damage values as default IDs to be recycled only as a last resort (that way you could drop in say buildcraft or rp2 at a later date).

It would be much more sensible to have Forge auto-assign all IDs, and save them with the world/send them to the client in SMP, and to reassign IDs and convert worlds automatically if there are ID conflicts. But that's complicated.

Disappointed with the bugs and nerfedness of AtomicStryker Corp's Advanced Machines, and the unupdatedness of Snyke's Enterprises?
    Need low-lag renewable power?
    Come to ImmTech Intragalactical this thread for free UUM!

Note: UUM may stand for Unnerfed Unbuggy Updated Machines and may not be actual UUM. The extra U was lost due to a bit error.
    Battery snot included.