Suggestion: [Toolbox]

• A toolbox in your inventory that allows you to store ONLY your tools (Drill , chainsaw, wrench, scanners, treetaps...) maybe even some compatibility with some other forge mods if its not to big of a problem.

Recipe:
    :Refined Iron: :Refined Iron: :Refined Iron:
    :Refined Iron: :Refined Iron:
    :Iridium: :Personal Safe: :Iridium:

Edit: Seems like the the recipe is a little bugged sry, but you get the idea.

• Recipe looks very expensive. I see no use in such expensive "tool only" storage. After all, you usually carry only 3-4 tools. This amount is barely enough to even consider crafting such thing. If you want to have more slots in your inventory, you may install some of backpack mods and carry only tools there. I see no reason for this to be part of IC2.

• Entirely valid idea. A special toolbox to store only specified items in :3 Would include batterys, scanners, electric tools... but exclude blocks and other stuff.
    Could consider coding this

Sad it would not include things like transformers/Miners etc, but at least a toolbox for moving around Cables, painters, rubber and the such would get some uses. One reason i use EE its due to the Alchemical Bags, Most useful item in the whole mod :D. (Getting Scumbags diamonds that are almost impossible to legally obtain is another plus, specially since IC2 High Tech and Buildcraft Diamond gears love to eat through those a lot)

• Official Post

A concept idea of mine:

ToolBox is an item with two states, open and closed.

Rightclicking with open toolbox will store all storeable items (API will carry an interfaced method. Per default all items with maxStackSize 1 (vanilla tools) are storeable.) from the hotbar within itself, "clearing" your hotbar and turning into the closed state.

Rightclicking with closed toolbox will unpack the stored items again, pushing any current items of your actionbar (either into your inventory or, if thats full, drop).

This way you can carry a few toolboxes in your hotbar, each containing items for a specific situation. Mining, fighting, building, etc...

Via the API-Interface any item can be made storeable. Would be applied to cables, Scaffolds and probably batterys. (cant think of more currently)

Uh.. well.. ok. I still find recipe very expensive though.

I usually never bother reading recipes in Suggestions, because it's entirely irrelevant for the decision whether or not to implement stuff. Recipe is always the last thing implemented :3

• I didn't think about batteries and other unstackable stuff. This way, it may not be that bad idea. Actually i'm using backpack mod to store unstackable things like uranium cells, coolant cells and so. (One does not simply fill 6-chamber reactor at once.)

• How about if it just swap the items around? I mean you have a drill in the toolbox and a diamond drill in your hot bar, you equip the Closed Toolbox and right click with it, and your drill goes to your hotbar and the diamond drill to the toolbox.

Right clicking the Open Toolbox will open a chestlike gui with 8 slots (9 slots of the hotbar - 1slot for the toolbox) where you can remove/add items that are in that toolbox.

Also Naming Toolboxes should be a good thing to do too. (Maybe from inside the GUI?)

• Your concept lacks functionality. How is a player meant to open/close the state of the toolbox?

Naming is an annoying point in itself, it does AT LEAST require a gui of some sort, unless we take randomply choosen numbers.

By putting the Closed/Open Toolbox in the Craft Table, or do something like the Mining Laser to press a key (Could even be the same key) + Left/Right Click to change the mode of the box?

And i know naming would be a paint in the arse but it would help defining what each toolbox would contain... unless you make a recipe with a Dye + Toolbox to make different color boxes, then adding something in the config file that would permit the user to change the name of the Toolbox to their liking (I.e Red Box To Cable Box) or something.

• And how about doubleclick ? Can that be used ?
    Will it mess with single rightclick ?

Considering i havent seen a single piece of item in any mod or vainilla minecraft that makes use of double clicking to perform an option...

Of course programming wise it may be possible but i havent played around with the minecraft code long enough to know if its feasible or not.

Also al, out of curiosity whats a NBT tag or what uses are usually reserved for it?

• Official Post

@doubleclick: Nope. MC doesnt support this.

@NBT:
    NBT-Tags are a sort of datahandling. They were previously used in stuff like chests to store the whole inventory in form of a bit-stream.
    Since 1.0.0, any unstackable itemstack can contain unlimited NBT data as well. It's used for enchantments, but due to the nature of NBT you can use it for any other purpouse as well, it won't collide.
    Thus consider unlimited storage within an itemstack possible for whatever purpouse.

• So... IC Backpacks then?

Would still be nice either way, lol...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• So... IC Backpacks then?

Would still be nice either way, lol...

Do those backpacks share inventory? or is there some limit to them? What stop you from just filling all those slots with backpaks to carry a unlimited number of stuff?

At least EE Bags limit yourself to 10-15 bags due to shared inventory between the same color (Besides how expensive it is to make them), and these toolboxes would not allow to carry machines/blocks in them, so abuse its not that possible (or at least its heavily crippled).

• Official Post

Jep. As well, by linking toolboxes to your hotbar without an openable inventory, you can actually only use a limited number of them effectively.
    If you want them for quick access, you would have ~3 of them in the hotbar, each containing 5 items, leaving one space open to build with random blocks from your inventory.
    Just some theorycrafting.

• Do those backpacks share inventory? or is there some limit to them? What stop you from just filling all those slots with backpaks to carry a unlimited number of stuff?

At least EE Bags limit yourself to 10-15 bags due to shared inventory between the same color (Besides how expensive it is to make them), and these toolboxes would not allow to carry machines/blocks in them, so abuse its not that possible (or at least its heavily crippled).

You can't put backpack in another backpack. Only special type of bag share inventory(Bag crafted with diamond). I think there isn't limit.

You can't put backpack in another backpack. Only special type of bag share inventory(Bag crafted with diamond). I think there isn't limit.

But you can put backpacks in all the others free slots you have. no?

Jep. As well, by linking toolboxes to your hotbar without an openable inventory, you can actually only use a limited number of them effectively.
    If you want them for quick access, you would have ~3 of them in the hotbar, each containing 5 items, leaving one space open to build with random blocks from your inventory.
    Just some theorycrafting.

How possible would it be to make a toolbox that would instantly change equiped armor? Or heck equipping a Lappack by rightclicking with it for example? I always wanted something like that.

• Official Post

Actually that batpack thingy is a nice idea and shouldn't take all too much effort.
    Could make batpack storeable as well...

Means you can carry armor sets around in tool boxes, exchanging them with a few clicks.

As well i can make Toolboxed display the name of the first item within them if you hover over them. Should be determant enough