Minecraft Development Snapshot Showing promise to mod's

• http://www.minecraftforum.net/…rly-teaser-info-released/
    "Jeb tweeted that this week's Snapshot will likely come tomorrow, instead of the usual Thursday release time. In addition, he released the following information for key changes likely to be seen in the coming update:

Maximum build height has been increased to 256 (was 128)
    Empty sections of the world are not loaded into memory
    Block ids have been increased to 4096 (was 256) by adding a 4 bit data layer (similar to how meta data is stored)
    Block ordering have been changed from x/z/y to y/z/x in order to improve compression
    Packets for sending chunks have been updated (a full 128-high chunk is smaller than the old format, and a chunk with lots of empty space is much smaller)
    Biomes are saved per x/z column, which means they can be altered by tools

In addition, he offered a glimpse into a new map format, as well as changes to the file format for save games"
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    I cant wait till this trickles down into the main updates
    Things interesting me are:
    >Block ids - 4069 of them (Mods All you can add buffet)
    >Maximum build height now 256 block high
    >Bigger Chunks using less space

• Toggable lights? Like the lanterns Notch promised but never got around to it. Probably would take him 5 minutes to code. Funny how as soon as Notch leaves, we get the stuff he said he was going to implement.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• Official Post

Toggable lights? Like the lanterns Notch promised but never got around to it. Probably would take him 5 minutes to code. Funny how as soon as Notch leaves, we get the stuff he said he was going to implement.

It's crafted with a Glowstone block in the middle and Redstone dust in the NWSE portion of the crafting grid. It functions very similar to RP's lamp blocks.

• >Maximum build height now 256 block high

I'm intrigued by the impact this will have on IC2 -- wind generators now can be nearly twice as powerful, and the 80 block limit of the electric jetpack now becomes a serious liability for large projects. Maybe the conventional one will be more useful?

• I'm intrigued by the impact this will have on IC2 -- wind generators now can be nearly twice as powerful, and the 80 block limit of the electric jetpack now becomes a serious liability for large projects. Maybe the conventional one will be more useful?

Or Alblaka and team modify the code for the electric to allow it to go up to 160... or it opens the door for a new super-jet pack... how about a jet pack with a 'power' setting? 1- 80 2- 160 3- 256 each one sucking more power?

... or just modify the code that sets the ceiling at 80... whichever...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• I'm aware that a change would be trivial, but the fact that such a change would have to be made intrigues me. Like I said, IC2 is one of the few mods that would be affected by this change beyond a simple "hey, I have an extra 128 blocks to build with now."

• I'm aware that a change would be trivial, but the fact that such a change would have to be made intrigues me. Like I said, IC2 is one of the few mods that would be affected by this change beyond a simple "hey, I have an extra 128 blocks to build with now."

True... but it's just a minor world tweak. Like you said, wind gen's are twice as powerful now, which is twice as powerful as the IC2 team intends them to be. So they get nerfed or the part of the code that increases efficiency for each block above sea-level or whatever is reduced to ~1/3? of it's previous value.

But yes, I understand being intrigued by the changes... I am too by the changes to chunk loading and the map format converter. I myself wonder if the converter only does 1.1>1.2 or if it will do 1.0.1>1.2 as well.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• It's quite likely with the way things currently are, that wind gens would tear themselves apart at that height. Even if nothing changes, it seems that alone would be self-regulating.