Question: solar panel, am i doing it wrong?

• Ok, got a few questions.

1. Insulated gold cables, are they capable of working as regular cables or are they meant for something special?
    2. batbox, is it like old MFE but with 40k instead of 60k storage capacity?
    3. And most importantly, why cant I get my solar panel to work? I placed one and then connected it to a batbox using regular cables but it was sending 0 EU's. I tried with gold cables and also got 0 EU's.

Unfortunately wiki isnt updated yet so nowhere to get the information other than ask :(

• Official Post

1. They work as regular cables, but with slightly higher loss and much higher capacity (copper can only handle LV, up to 32EU, gold does 128EU).
    2. Pretty much, yep.
    3. The cable between your solar panel and its connected batbox/machine is probably long enough to have energy loss. Anything longer than 4 blocks of copper cable will eat the entire 1EU pulse. (Insulated copper is 1EU loss per 5 blocks.)

• Ive been spam clicking even on the first cable coming out of solar panel and it never showed 1 EU, always 0 EU.

Also, if I got this right, copper cable will lose EU after 4 blocks, insulated gold after 5 at low voltages, what about MV and HV? how does the EU loss work there.

I will try to put batbox, cable above it, and solar panel above cable to see if that will store EU.

• Official Post

Ive been spam clicking even on the first cable coming out of solar panel and it never showed 1 EU, always 0 EU.

Also, if I got this right, copper cable will lose EU after 4 blocks, insulated gold after 5 at low voltages, what about MV and HV? how does the EU loss work there.

I will try to put batbox, cable above it, and solar panel above cable to see if that will store EU.

The loss is calculated before transferring the energy iirc.

• Ok I got it to work for the most part, just one question about batbox, how do I "draw" power from it? I cant get it to emit.
    I noticed when I right click on it with my wrench it puts the side with 1 circle where I clicked, but im not sure if its input or output, tried connecting below and on sides and I cant draw power from it to another batbox :(

edit:
    Thanky ou aiden, that helped a lot since I dindt know it calculates it before.

edit2:
    NVM, figured it out, the circle side is the output :)
    Thanks again.

• Official Post

Ok I got it to work for the most part, just one question about batbox, how do I "draw" power from it? I cant get it to emit.
    I noticed when I right click on it with my wrench it puts the side with 1 circle where I clicked, but im not sure if its input or output, tried connecting below and on sides and I cant draw power from it to another batbox :(

edit:
    Thanky ou aiden, that helped a lot since I dindt know it calculates it before.

The "MFE" side is both an output and an input. It's defaulted as the output (The other 5 sides are the input), but upon powering it with Redstone, it becomes the input, and the other 5 sides are outputs.

• Official Post

All new machines are quite intelligent. If the distance loss is too big for them to reach their target, they won't send.

Copper Cables loose 1 EU over 5 block, afaik it's 4 for Gold Cables. In redo, latter ones can carry up to 128 EUt. Copper can only carry 32 EUt

The "cabledot" side is output. You can switch it by using a wrench on another side.

• The "MFE" side is both an output and an input. It's defaulted as the output (The other 5 sides are the input), but upon powering it with Redstone, it becomes the input, and the other 5 sides are outputs.

Uhm what? I thought giving storages a rs signal just stops them from emitting power unless they are full and still get more power.

On my install Mining Drill doesn't give off any sounds at all o.o
    Help! Somebody fix that please!
    Wait a sec... damnit.

no idea if he was serious but either way that was damn funny xD

• I thought loss was added then rounded down, hence copper = 0.2 loss per block * 4 blocks = 0.8 which is rounded down to zero. And gold was 0.4 loss per block * 2 blocks = 0.8. If gold is lossless out to 3 blocks, then my assumptions are completely wrong. =/