[Suggestion]: Compact Solar Panel Arrays for performance.

• I don't see why the number of panels is so debated... ... Array's are a tier-branch that require the same number of panels that they replace, plus a storage device of the appropriate tier.

What if: the LV array's were made into a crafting-only item and couldn't be placed as world-blocks. ie: only use is as a crafting step to get to MV Array's?

That means you'd need 64 IC2 Solar Panels to be able to begin using array-based solar power. Plus whatever else is added to the recipe tree ie: solar circuit, that means the mat cost for a first array could be something like 64 Solars, 8 Solar Circuit's (? 2 AdvCirc, redstone, lapis, glowstone + some rare mat (EnderEye, Blaze Rod, ...) ?) + a center crafting slot (middle of the MV itself)...

[/edit]
    LV array (crafting only) = 8 Solar Panels + 1 'Solar Circuit'.
    MV array (first array tier that actually generates = 8 LV arrays (64 panels + 8 solar circuit) + MV center slot (another high price array recipe, perhaps. An even more expensive center slot for the HV?)[/edit]

And let's have some fun... let's go better than a config that defaults to off... a config that defaults to off AND is undeclared... Meaning Array's would only become active after someone visited the forum, found the thread, and pasted the correct syntax into their config file.

I think that would make Solar Array's a suitable challenge both in-game and out. Anyone that keeps building solar after all that must be really dedicated to the idea...Yea? ...Nay?

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• Nay nobody reads nothing in here mostly.

And this picture:

Expose my case of 1space required for Solar Array space vs 256 space required for solar panels (With a possible extra 256 space from the Cables to transmit the energy)

But since everyone always confuse or simply misunderstand my reasonings of solar array vs extensive solar panel space (Hint its never been about the amount of energy it produce, or how much stress it discharges from the server cpu, or whenever people should use it or not, or whenever i like it or not, its simply about the amount of space each takes, One with too many beneficts and another one without any, which usually twist arm people in using Solar and ONLY solar energy for their worlds although this is just a side effect of it i guess), i decided to just drop the issue after this post.

Edited because objectivity its a impossible human trait apparently.

• There should not be a debate because were asking for a toggle via config to enable and disable this feature. So people who are against it rather then QQing like kids ask for a config option so both side can have what they *need*.

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• I would love to see this implemented. Less space, still has the same material requirements, reduces lag, and include an option for the folks that do not want this.. sounds like a win to me.

• Redpower isnt even finished thats why there arent many uses for blutricity.

• hey, i'm just a random person and i have NO clue ANYTHING about coding or how the game works and this may be impossible but, could there be some way you could make it so you can only place down one of the solar panels only every so many blocks? that was just something i randomly thought of. it sounds impossible to me but i have no clue what you people can do with coding. haha.

• hey, i'm just a random person and i have NO clue ANYTHING about coding or how the game works and this may be impossible but, could there be some way you could make it so you can only place down one of the solar panels only every so many blocks? that was just something i randomly thought of. it sounds impossible to me but i have no clue what you people can do with coding. haha.

Not possible. At best you could code something that explodes if you place something else nearby (Thinking of ThaumCraft obelisk)... So its not exactly every so much blocks, but something placed nearby only.

• Not possible. At best you could code something that explodes if you place something else nearby (Thinking of ThaumCraft obelisk)... So its not exactly every so much blocks, but something placed nearby only.

Actually, Pretty easy to do this, but the main question is what to do when the rule is violated.

• Actually, Pretty easy to do this, but the main question is what to do when the rule is violated.

TNT explosion, obviously.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Redpower isnt even finished thats why there arent many uses for blutricity.

Even when it is finished, I'd still spam RP2 solar panels if we have a converter. Nikolite and silver would finally be useful for something.

EDIT: if the condensed solars are too cheap, why not alter the recipe - use an energy storage block (batbox, MFE, MFSU) instead of the transformer?

GENERATION (Pineapple + i): The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Even when it is finished, I'd still spam RP2 solar panels if we have a converter. Nikolite and silver would finally be useful for something.

EDIT: if the condensed solars are too cheap, why not alter the recipe - use an energy storage block (batbox, MFE, MFSU) instead of the transformer?

Because an air block is like a Diamond Block. It's THAT amazing. No cost would be enough, from what it seems.

I honestly can't believe people value it so much. If a server admin (of an average, or higher population) was to come in, and tell us the exact amount of Solar Panels (or, the Solar Panel Equivalent (SPE) in Arrays) people are using we could then divide that by how many fit in a chunk (Was in a post above, I believe).

On some servers, there wouldn't be any land, or any sunlight for a REALLY, REALLY LONG WAYS. This honestly wouldn't be an issue if the Mass Fabricator didn't exist- But it does. Therefore the problem exists and needs a reasonable solution. (That doesn't involve telling server admins to tell off their players or toggle them back.)

If anyone brings up the amount of cable and other supplies that are needed... If someone has 50,000 SPE then it's irrelevant.

(OT: Doom was the first Pineapple Sacrifice, it seems. :o)

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• i think so far albaka is trying to make Solars Flat Panels that you can attach onto the side of the current Solar Panels to increase the Solar panels total output, kinda of like Nuclear Reactor Chambers. however i hopw what he ends up doing is making it like scaffolding and allowing you to attach panels onto other panels up to a total of 511 add-on panels no more then 35 blocks away. this could compensate for the 1 Tin Wire losing 1 energy after 40 blocks, just don;t allow it to be more then 40 blocks in radius from the starting Solar Panel Generator. this would basically creat the same shape as a Giant Brown Mushroom with a fiber glass cable as the stalk, lol. i REALLY hope this is his solution cause he flat out does not want to modify the ammount of space the solar panels take up because then they would be too over powered.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• wonderful, sorry that i have not seen anything in regards to you being busy, i'm relatively new to these forumns. good to know that your still active though and you actually post replies in your forumns unlike most developers.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• So the solution is to blot out the sky and take over the land.

Mmk. I believe this thread is totally dead now, as the answer to the original suggestion is no.

• that is correct raa1337, if we were to compact then they they would become over powered, the fact that they take or a rediculous ammount of space is their balancing attribute. as long as they minimalize the amount of packages sent and reduce server strain, then i am one happy panda. i wonder if the same thing could be done the Wind turbines?

• that is correct raa1337, if we were to compact then they they would become over powered,

Totally and utterly disagree.

Air != Diamond

But it's pointless to talk about.

• Totally and utterly disagree.

Air != Diamond

But it's pointless to talk about.

You are comparing the space each solar panel consumes as a valuable block which is the worst way to compare it, The technical difficulty, which is heavily influenced whenever you play solo or multiplayer, and where your base is located and also whenever you try to make your base as secret as possible also affects it too.

And with technical difficulty i mean how in the fuck sakes are you gonna wire those solar panels IF you dont have a flat terrain to do it, or if you try to make your base as hidden as possible how in the fuck name are you gonna hide 512 solar panel+wiring, or if you have a forest above your base and dont want to chop the whole goddamn thing down too.

There is more than one aspect that you can use to balance any feature you add to the game, coincidentially solar panels where balanced on the Day only energy generation and something that would occupy way too much space if you decide to abuse the solar generation, like most people do even if they have to kill their server/pc to be satisfied. (And yes im saying solar arrays would not be a necessity if people stoped abusing the damn thing).

And thats all im gonna say on the issue im supposed to have dropped days ago.

• ...thank Jeb for submods I suppose...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• well if someone REALLY wants a hidden base it's incredibly easy to go with other means of energy collection. i mean hell, even the most basic and easy set of of a nuclear reactor can get you 8-16mill energy an hour. and they really aren't all that hazardous. yesterday i found out that 5 layers of CFoam will also stop a blast. luckily my facility wasn;t damaged because i built it before looking into Reinforced Stone Blocks. so now i'm going to make an even bigger facility under my camoflaged house and make it even bigger then before and more then likely get rid of solar panels all together. atlesat until a solution is resolved for the server strain issue. i just hope the solution involves a recipie using our current solar panels so i don't have to make so much new stuff and can just alter my current panels.