Suggestion: More Advanced Sound Config Options

• As with several users of this mod, I experienced the extreme lag caused by the sound system. Because of this, I had to turn of my sounds in my config. This fixed the issue, but now I no longer have my jetpack and laser sounds, as well as a chainsaw and other tools, which aren't affected by the sound bug. I'm suggesting a config option to allow the disabling of say, machines and generators, but still allow the sounds like the mining laser and jetpack to still play. Thanks.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• Official Post

That is a very good Idea.
    I have the same lagproblem with the sound, so i limited the sounds to 5 (Jetpack/Chainsaw/Laser still hearable).
    That solved it for me. Dare you Notch for using that old soundsystem on so an awesome game!

Maybe a lagdetection, so if the FPS are lower than 15 (playable limit) the sounds will be limited more.

• Does limiting sound sources to zero same thing u asking for?

Uh, nope, its not.

• I know I can manually disable the sounds in the code (I think) but what I want is a config option to disable all the sounds that cause me lag, pretty much anything in block form, but still get my tools to make sounds.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)

• i greatly agree, i think that my recycler facility probly causes more issues then my solar panels. it's constantly running about 30 recycles and MFabs. not to mention how much of an issue and annoyance the sounds of Wind Turbines are. the sounds alone are usually about 60% of my lag issues.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• Official Post

There's a configoption for Soundsourcelimit since at least 1.42 but don't know since when exactly.

Oh and i found out that i set it to 10 instead of 5.

with that change you will most likely not hear the Blocks, if you cause enough other (also vanilla) Sounds like Doors after triggering them.
    Newly caused sounds like the Jetpacksound or the Chainsawsound are still hearable most of the time.

This configoption applies only to IC²-Sounds, so all the vanillasounds are like before.

I hope you meaned that, but a new soundoption in the config seperately for tools and blocks would be very nice.

• No, I already knew about that sound config option, it could work, but not perfectly. What I want is to turn off ALL IC blocks, but still have items play their sounds.

• I know I can manually disable the sounds in the code (I think) but what I want is a config option to disable all the sounds that cause me lag, pretty much anything in block form, but still get my tools to make sounds.

Yeah, other cracky way => remove block sounds from the ic2.jar file. New config option - best way.

• Yeah, other cracky way => remove block sounds from the ic2.jar file. New config option - best way.

Totally agreed. Not a huge request, but something I would definitely like to see.