Reactor planner version 2

• Hi,
    nice update to your planner, I like it. But sadly there are several (mostly minor) bugs:
    - Switching from a 0 chamber with 25 watercooling design to a 6 chamber with 20 watercooling design (by only changing the chamber slider) still counts in general information - external cooling as 25 cooling from the water. The water slider updates, but not the general information (including the variable used in the mathematics!).
    - The design at http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…d338b85k0g6uk5rewytw4x91c has some strange problems with the starting heat. 0 starting heat is fine, 300 starting heat changes to Maximum cycles = -8221,18 (yes, negative). There are several other positions, where similar behaviour with a negative runtime will show.
    - Typo: Page title and Applet title: IndutrialCraft (missing s)
    - Typo: General Information -> EU Output -> Effciency (missing i)
    - Typo: Additional Information - Cell Totals -> Cooing cells (missing l)
    - Typo: Resources Needed -> Resources Needed -> TIn Ingots (bit I)
    And finally a request:
    Moving the Timing slider under General Information should also alter the collected heat of the hull and the components.
    BTW: Generation time - based on what value? Hull just over or just under 85%? Components melted or the last second before that?

• Generation time is the lesser of three events: Uranium depleted (Full cycle), reactor at 85% max hull heat or a component melts.

As for the request, I'll look into a way of doing that without resorting to rough estimations.

• Doesn't matter what link i use i get this, The standalone works fine though.

• It appears you're using a cached version of the webpage.

I thought so also, but when i hit CTRL+F5 (requests a brand new page a.k.a Hard Refresh) it does nothing.

EDIT: Just to make sure i just cleared out my cache and no change.

• I thought so also, but when i hit CTRL+F5 (requests a brand new page a.k.a Hard Refresh) it does nothing.

EDIT: Just to make sure i just cleared out my cache and no change.

Hmm, I've looked through "reactorplanner.html" and "launch.jnlp" and there isn't a single reference to "IC2ReactorPlanner.jar", everything points to "ICReactorPlannerV2.jar".

• Okay, the planner should now simulate the full effect of using the Timing Scale slider

- The timing slider can move from 1 second to the maximum generation time for the current design.
    - The timing slider will reset if the design changes (It was either this, or simulating the reactor twice after every change)
    - The timing slider is saved along with the rest of the options.
    - Arrow keys can be used to fine tune the timing slider.
    - The info displayed while moving the timing slider are estimations, the true calculation will begin once the mouse is no longer dragging it.

Effective EU/t is calculated in a slightly different way, it shouldn't effect Mark Is and IIs and only be a minor effect for others.

New info, "Unused Generation Time": This shows how much of the last generation period was left when the uranium depletes. This is used in combonation with the timing slider to work out good generation/cooldown timings for whatever reactor control system you use.

As the underworkings of the planner have gone through a fairly big change, it's going to sit on the alternate url here for a while, just to be safe.

• Hmm, I've looked through "reactorplanner.html" and "launch.jnlp" and there isn't a single reference to "IC2ReactorPlanner.jar", everything points to "ICReactorPlannerV2.jar".

I got this crazy idea that java might have its "own" set of cached files and i was right, Once i deleted those and restart firefox all is well. :)

• Apologies for my first post being a bug report! I just like to report things when I see them.

I somehow managed to make a design which can run a maximum of "-818.35 cycles" (yep, negative cycles). It might be because of all that ice...

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…rm3ib72sjawrlc8ckmg7b1jk0

Stranger still are the two empty slots. If you put a uranium in the first slot it changes to -67.54, but in the right slot it's -981.57. The design is symmetrical so that doesn't make any sense to me.

(I should point out this isn't a finished reactor design)

• I altered SUC data tracking and how the planner calculates excess heat, hopfully no more minus Mark IIs.

As for the reason you get slightly different results depending where you place the ice, it's to do with the order in which the reactor interacts with the the items in the grid.

---

On another note, the new timing slider changes have now been moved from the testing url into the 'live' url.

• Eep, a bug in the SUC supply code, distributing ice differently to how it'd happen ingame... crazy CASUC (ice) users beware, this bug was hiding the need for a reactor to have enough ice in it before the cycles begins!

Also added a warning if there are blank slots before any ice/water on the grid.

bdew: Thanks for reporting that bug, it was kinda bad for CASUC users ;)

• Is the "Heating and Cooling" section on the first screen showing values per tick, or per second?

The example that makes me question this:
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…jsaalz4dtaivo1alxgmu987y8

The calculations show it should run for 11 seconds, so I can only assume that the Heating & Cooling's value of ~1300 excess heat is per second. But then, the external cooling value is only 33 per second? Huh?

There's a fair chance this isn't a bug and I'm just completely misunderstanding something.

• Yes, they're both heating/cooling per second. The water outside as well as the reactor's chambers can only remove 33 heat every "reactor tick" (which is also 1 second). That meager amount of cooling can do nothing against the tremendous amount of heat that all those radioactive cells are making.

This did remind of a change I was meant to do earlier, the generation time now highlights in red if running the reactor for that long would be risky.

• Talonius putting depleted cells in reactors shouldnt have a effect on the efficiency. Too many nubs are falling for this thinking they made some godlike 5 efficiency reactor since they dont understand how breeding works. It should be separated in reactor efficiency (amount of eu per uranium cell divided by 2) and breeder efficiency (amount of cells recharged at the cost of 1 uranium cell).

• Talonius putting depleted cells in reactors shouldnt have a effect on the efficiency. Too many nubs are falling for this thinking they made some godlike 5 efficiency reactor since they dont understand how breeding works. It should be separated in reactor efficiency (amount of eu per uranium cell divided by 2) and breeder efficiency (amount of cells recharged at the cost of 1 uranium cell).

in my defense I knew that it wasn't really that efficient I was trying to make a joke considering the challenge I designed it for was impossible.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"