Bukkit officially joins Mojang? Trouble or blessings on the horizon

• True as that maybe, it can come at a price. Y'all are focusing on solely the SMP aspects here, where as the announcement says that eventually Bukkit will be both SSP and SMP. My fear is that the bukkit team is going to do everything in their power to stop MCF from continuing and that will be the last time I update Minecraft. I love what the MCF team is doing with the API and it is amazing how far the mods connected to the API have come since its release. I remember when IC was just introducing teleportation lol.

I know how much I miss it right now as I am stuck on 1.2.3 and (shuddering when saying this) playing with BTW as nothing is really updated with, but the day that MCF, RP2, BC3, and IC^2 are fully up and running BTW is going to meet the recycling bin!

As someone who runs a server, this is exactly why I worry about this development. Bukkit might be great for server management, but as far as modding API's go, it just does not hold a candle to Forge.

Was told at a party last night about some drama going on behind the scenes with the Bukkit devs, but considering the amount of alcohol consumed I'd say it was bogus.

• While any official mod support is a good thing, I worry about the robustness of Bukkit as compared to MCF, and, of course, the delay in a 1.4 update.

Would this be comparable to when Apple moved from PowerPC to Intel? Everything needs to be rewritten, and many mods will get left in the dust if their authors don't feel like learning a new API?

I will retain cautious optimism. I have complete confidence in the IC2 team, at least, although I would love to hear more coder's opinions on the issue.

Edit: Would the Bukkit Team really be able prevent the Forge Team from modding some class files to supplement Bukkit, now that they're an official part of Minecraft? I mean, I could understand if download Bukkit and Forge seperately and try to mash them together, but if Bukkit comes standard on the Jar, meaning everyone has it, how is it different from putting Forge on a stock Minecraft.jar now?

Editception: Edited my edit for clarification.

'Wait! What does that mean?! I can't panic properly unless I know what that means!'
    'Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and... I went ahead anyway.'

• You all keep talking about Bukkit... The Bukkit team is no longer Bukkit, they are Mojang employees and their work will be based on that, not on the fact that they have developed Bukkit.
    What we get is not a Bukkit forced upon us all, it is a completely new minecraft server with official mod support and official server administration tools. Made by people who have experience primarily with server administration but also a bit of mod API. They keep telling people that they are building it all from scratch now, but somehow no one hears that.
    As of what I read from Dinnerbone posted in the Reddit minecraft section and in Bukkit forums they are very willing to listen to any feedback given from the Minecraft Forge team and any other team developing minecraft mods, they even appreciate any ideas they can get, so they can make the most robust and powerful API possible.
    If we are lucky when this is done we will no longer need either MCForge or Bukkit because the vanilla minecraft client and server has an API that makes it all possible. That way we will probably see mods ready for new minecraft updates in a few days or even without any modification.
    If we are not so lucky, then MCForge will continue as always, porting their software to the new minecraft_server.jar and we will all continue as we go now.

• You all keep talking about Bukkit... The Bukkit team is no longer Bukkit, they are Mojang employees and their work will be based on that, not on the fact that they have developed Bukkit.
    What we get is not a Bukkit forced upon us all, it is a completely new minecraft server with official mod support and official server administration tools. Made by people who have experience primarily with server administration but also a bit of mod API. They keep telling people that they are building it all from scratch now, but somehow no one hears that.
    As of what I read from Dinnerbone posted in the Reddit minecraft section and in Bukkit forums they are very willing to listen to any feedback given from the Minecraft Forge team and any other team developing minecraft mods, they even appreciate any ideas they can get, so they can make the most robust and powerful API possible.
    If we are lucky when this is done we will no longer need either MCForge or Bukkit because the vanilla minecraft client and server has an API that makes it all possible. That way we will probably see mods ready for new minecraft updates in a few days or even without any modification.
    If we are not so lucky, then MCForge will continue as always, porting their software to the new minecraft_server.jar and we will all continue as we go now

Not sure where you are getting the "they are writing it from scratch" thing from but that is not what jeb said. He has said that the minecraft server is going to be the bukkit server because they already have it.

Quote "The plan right now is to catch the minecraft server up to the bukkit server."

http://youtubepicks.com/watch/…1-3-discuss-bukkit-hires/