several weeks ago I started a new MC server with a friend to spend a little time chopping some blocks. After a while I got bored from the vanilla stuff and looked for some mods with new blocks. IndustrialCraft looked really interesting so I spent some hours with reading and getting into the mod-zone.
When mods were added and server was fired up it was time to leave our old sky-home (little fortress hovering about 30 blocks from ground) and discover the new resources included from IC2. We built a nice second fortress, powered from solar panels and set up the IC machines. A few weeks later I thought it would be cool to have some more mods, cause I started thinking about a nuclear reactor and wanted a precise redstone control system. So I picked RedPower2 and for further possible automation I chose BuildCraft2 as well.
With these new stuff I started a new world, fixed some problems with the block-IDs and testet some litte things in creative mode. Having everything checked for proper function I used MCEdit to put our two old homes near each other in a fresh world. That was our best option to have all the new stuff from beginning besides our existing storage from vanilla and IC2 runs.
Now it was time to farm resources a lot, cause I wanted to build something BIG. Spending some time with RP and BC I built my first MK1 CASUC with snow-golem and ice-cooling, outputting 1820 EU/t. In further attempts with BC I built a stone-brick-generator using lava, water, blockbreaker, filter, induction furnace and the automatic crafting table. With that machine it was pretty easy to gain the massive amount of blocks I intended to use for the new BIG fortress while spending some time idle on the server at a safe spot.
While starting the construction I discovered the awesome scaffolds of IndustrialCraft and not much later the extremely useful filler from BuildCraft. Building the foundation and the walls that way was pretty easy. I decided to use walls with a thickness of 3 blocks, so I would be able to hide some wires within the walls.
As the fillers were working I did some samples for lanterns, lights, which I could use later on.
Alright, that's pretty much the actual progress, time for screenshots:
Brickstone-Generator (advanced version)
[works perfectly, if you set the blockbreaker to 1.50sec; deployer and 2nd blockbreaker to 0.75sec; induction furnace will stay at 99-100% heat; 4 redpower engines are enoug, cheap and don't waste resources]
=============== Update #1 ===============
=============== Update #2 ===============
=============== Update #3 ===============
That's it for now, more to come
- remodel the surrounding landscape incl. planting trees, etc.
- build an outer wall around all existing houses leaving enough space for some more
- find a good lightin concept
- finish the sorting machine with the remaining items
- optimize the factory
At this point I don't want any ratings but advices and constructive criticism is always welcome
PS: Please excuse possible mistakes in language cause I'm from Germany but I do my very best
Edit1: Sorry for the issue with the screenshots, resampled and uploaded again for lower filesize
Edit2: Added TODO list
Edit3: Update #1 - floor lightning part1
Edit4: Update #2 - mob trap, second basement, some progress at the storage room and sorting system
Edit5: Update #3 - factory, energy storage, sorting machine, wheatfarm
Edit6: moved Update #1, #2 and #3 out of the first post as 10.000 characters aren't enough