Video Card/Computer Build Discussion

• On March 22, Nvidia releases its Geforce GTX 680, the next card in its line of high-end video cards. Last time, when the GTX 590 was released around the same time last year, it sold out in the US in just a WEEK. So if anybody wants a 680 they better grab it tomorrow (I'm posting this from the EST time zone, so it's still Wednesday). I felt like posting this because I felt it was the best way of notifying people of the release that I would share common interests with (IC2). So if anybody here wants a new video card just released from Nvidia with all the newest tech they give, you better hurry and I mean DON'T hesitate.

Edit: Changed Forum title from 580 to 680, it was a typo :P

Edit #2: Changed title from "Geforce GTX 680 to be Released March 22!!!" to "Video Card/Computer Build Discussion"

• Wow. If you want the best, that's the way to go. $500 for a video card? 8| not in my budget. I'm sure whoever can afford such a beast will be very happy, though!

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• NOO! you fool! you have brought up graphics cards! now you must read this and be burdened with the knowledge contained with in!

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1477

(it asks what if buying a toaster was like buying a graphics card if that's not obvious)

also related to the 22nd
    after 10 years of development
    WING COMMANDER SAGA: THE DARKEST DAWN COMES OUT TOMORROW!
    http://www.wcsaga.com/ :D8o^^:);):rolleyes:
    well for me it tomorrow its probably the 22nd already else where in the world by now

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• passinglurker
    Very nice metahore and article, thanks for sharing. I've already purchased a Radeon 6850 (which was DOA when I got the rest of my parts, should get my replacement today :D ) Once I try out this card, I'm probably not going to be upgrading for quite a while.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• passinglurker
    Very nice metahore and article, thanks for sharing. I've already purchased a Radeon 6850 (which was DOA when I got the rest of my parts, should get my replacement today :D ) Once I try out this card, I'm probably not going to be upgrading for quite a while.

Probably best it's a ATI card. There's still lots of pissed off users on the Nvidia forums because they haven't fixed a long standing crash bug. (as in black screen and a recovery message bubble in the taskbar)
    Just ask me how I know of this issue..... For a long while I was stuck on the 280.26 drivers until I did a complete wipe reinstall and toggled an option in Seamonkey.

• Update: Just finished doing an unboxing video for my GTX 680. I ended up getting it off TigerDirect.com like 2 weeks ago. (It's always sold out on Newegg). I hope to finish doing all the unboxing videos for my computer parts and actually BUILD my computer on Satuday (4/12/2012). I look forward to many hours of HD Skyrim :D

passinglurker I felt the same way too at first, but after wasting using several hours of my time to research computer parts. I think I finally figured it out. Here is my EXTREMELY expensive build :P :

Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme
    Video Card: Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
    RAM: G.Skill ARES 32 GB Quad Channel Memory Kit
    CD/DVD/BD Drive: Asus 12X Blu-Ray Writer (BW-12B1ST)
    Solid-State Drives: Two 120 GB Vertex2 SATA II 2.5" Solid State Drives
    Hard Drives: Two 3.5" Barracuda 7200RPM 3 TB Hard Drives
    CPU: Intel i7 Generation 2 Processor- 3930k
    Power Supply: Antec 1000 watt High Power Pro 80 Plus Platinum Power Supply
    Chassis: Cooler Master HAF X
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100
    Capture Card: AVerMedia Game Broadcaster HD (You didn't think I'd forget sharing the pleasure of HD gaming with everyone else, did you?)

• That's honestly like 40 times faster than my 4 year old 400€ computer. Not like that is required to run skyrim as even I can run it on ultra at around 25fps.

• That's honestly like 40 times faster than my 4 year old 400€ computer. Not like that is required to run skyrim as even I can run it on ultra at around 25fps.

The build is hyper-future-proofed. Honestly, I think I'd sooner throw away this computer than sell it as used parts. By the time it becomes obsolete and useless, I probably would've gotten a good 6+ years of max-graphics gaming. Let me just say I am not afraid to give up my precious 680 if I need to. But rumor has it that Galaxy will be coming out with some single-slot 680s, so I could use them for SLI. If they don't, however, I'll go for the best dual GPU on the market when my video card begins losing it's pizzazz and either the dual-gpu Maxwell or AMD equivalent is available (and I'm SURE that I wouldn't be able to get anything better for the GPU).