[Suggestion] Warp Drive

• The only reason why a stack of 64 Cobblestone consumes the same amount of energy as a Single Uranium Cell its because of lazyness.

Since the warp drive works with the actual placed blocks (2 of which that are basically the size of steve), lazyness isnt going to cut it in make the energy requirement a lot less than the regular teleporter, mostly because of a little something called balance.

the patent excuse seems pretty industrial to me and besides what would be wrong if the teleporter's power requirements were dropped to match? also remember this is a teleporter in name only warp drives are supposed to cheat the laws of physics by keeping you stationary and bringing your destination to you(or something like that its all techno-babble in the end) my point is saying it doesn't work cause of how teleporters work is equivalent to as you put it "talking out of your ass" cause if your wrap it in enough techno-babble people will accept it. you also said nothing of making the warp drive its own tier5 internal power storage.

oh and sneaky there with the colored spoiler text :rolleyes:

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Have fun storing/making millions and millions of EU for a single Jump.

And why Tone down the number of the teleporter? Your idea its the unbalanced one.

And wrapping your logic in "techno-babble" its only valid if the other party doenst unwrap it with "techno-babble" too (Or if your "techno-babble" its just too stupid to be digested)

And who came with the "If its industrial its totally valid and can ignore any other complaing about it" thing? Its annoying to the same level as "Config File are the solution for everything!!!!!111111111oneoenoneoneleven"

Keeping you stationary and bringing your destination to you? Thats called moving genius and im not in the mood to tear appart how that setence actually sounds

And teleporting isnt talking out of my ass, teleport already has its own logic that have been discussed before (Most of em i believe in scifi text). In a nut Teleporting its tearing something appart at a molecular level (Or smaller) and due to some process that i cant remember right now reassemble those molecules at the target distance/point.

• ok since this isn't a "is it possible" issue how is this unbalanced? what game breaking exploit could people possibly do with this?

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• ok since this isn't a "is it possible" issue how is this unbalanced? what game breaking exploit could people possibly do with this?

*facepalm* really? havent we talked about this already ffs. Energy cost! You dont balance the teleport around your warp drive, you balance your warp drive around the teleporter.

• and if it uses less how is that bad

energy is why it can't be done not why making the warp drive use less to move the same mass is a game breaker

alternatly a warp-drive could just consume the blocks its supposed to transport to meet its energy needs basically make yourself a big cobble stone fuel tank before you leave and the teleporter will just convert it into energy(thats what it already does to move stuff other wise we could use teleporters to dupe matter)

I can see it now a new form of raceing where people ride minimalistic auto-cobblegen powered warp drives. watch the pistons push the fuel tower out to 13 blocks long and then poof it hops another 64 blocks
    never mind it was a bad idea. what was the idea rick had about using a bunch of small pads instead? would it be able to tp multiple blocks that are in the direction its facing? sounds like though it can't make my spaceship dreams come true it would fill the practical problem of moving ones base to a new location(something that was previously done with storage minecarts ad lots of rail)

• i have an idea as to how you could code this but i feel it might be a huge pain in the ass to get right or debug and am not sure if it's 100% possible. but what about 2 blocks like the teleportes we currently have but much more expensive. and when you place it within a Chunk it will destinate that chunk to be Swapped between it and the other chunk you have the other teleporter in. then when activated would drain something like 100 million energy and would swap the 2 chunks that you have destinated, so a building in a 32 by 32 area (4 square chunks) would cost 400 million to move the entire building. this would also however swap the ENTIRE chunk, from 0 to 256. i'm not sure how easy it is to alter chunks through coding but this would be a good start if it's possible.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• This is getting way too complicated all it has to to is to instantly move a single block from A to B. Maybe ad in some simple options to control shape and range (like that forcefield mod) and you are done. Iam sure ppl will build their own complex building teleporters and since they 'designed' it themselves instead of using a magical block that does everything it would be way more satisfying. Maybe it can even be added as a option to the current teleporter.

Also much easier to code i guess no need to fuck with chunks etc. Cant see how this would potentialy destroy your world since its so simple.

• Official Post

i have an idea as to how you could code this but i feel it might be a huge pain in the ass to get right or debug and am not sure if it's 100% possible. but what about 2 blocks like the teleportes we currently have but much more expensive. and when you place it within a Chunk it will destinate that chunk to be Swapped between it and the other chunk you have the other teleporter in. then when activated would drain something like 100 million energy and would swap the 2 chunks that you have destinated, so a building in a 32 by 32 area (4 square chunks) would cost 400 million to move the entire building. this would also however swap the ENTIRE chunk, from 0 to 256. i'm not sure how easy it is to alter chunks through coding but this would be a good start if it's possible.

So i can swap my entire Mainbase (exactly in a chunk on your Server) to your City, lol. But beaming a whole building is OP and could be the ultimate Grief. what about making it of Frames (waiting for it since November 2011) an the move it simply.

Oh and altering chunks is very easy, just swap two pointers and make Blockupdates on all the sideblocks of them.

• why not do both the simple block teleporter could be an advancement of the normal teleporter and the warp drive could be an advancement of the block teleporter.

maybe the warp drive could be part of the force field device when it is added that would solve all the complexities figuring out what to move and what not to move. also to justify it using less power some limitations could be placed on it like...
    1. the drive will never take you exactly where you want to go it will drop out of warp before it lets you materialize in the middle of or touching some thing (balance: not as reliable as the teleporter)
    2. or the drive only works if the destination is above layer 128 (balance: make you spend energy and resources going up and down)
    3. the drive makes you spend time in a limbo space where if you go to long not feeding the drive energy it drops you out of warp prematurely (balance: it now has the same power requirements as the teleporter but the power is fed over time the slower you feed it the longer you spend floating in limbo)

• So i can swap my entire Mainbase (exactly in a chunk on your Server) to your City, lol. But beaming a whole building is OP and could be the ultimate Grief. what about making it of Frames (waiting for it since November 2011) an the move it simply.

Oh and altering chunks is very easy, just swap two pointers and make Blockupdates on all the sideblocks of them.

there are ways to prevent grief both of stealing a building and beaming said building through the spawn point it would be no worse than the nuke which server admins seem to handle pretty well. frames don't make spaceships. and how would this be OP this seems more like endgame fun and farting around to me

• Official Post

frames don't make spaceships.

Maybe yes, even if so then i can make a building moving on the Ground and that is definetly possible and Eloraam can do nothing against that (except not releasing Frames).

Where was the thread?... Ahh there.
    A simple Blockteleporter would be great for hiding Bases, but with the Forcefieldaddon or even pistons i can get it too. Teleporting whole chunkloads of Blocks is maybe a good way to move the base, but that would be really to OP and making every Transportationmethod (like Rails to the Base) completely useless and i like making logistic stuff in MC.

Before i forget to mention here are some declarations:
    Teleporting = changes the Space-Coordinate of you (nothing to do with Beaming).
    Beaming = dematerializing and rematerializing (so it theoretically copies, kills and pastes you in that order).
    Warpdrive = changes the Coordinategrid of the Space around you.
    Hyperdrive = moving through another Dimension called Subspace.
    FTL-drive = compilation of anything that makes faster than Lightspeed.

• So i can swap my entire Mainbase (exactly in a chunk on your Server) to your City, lol. But beaming a whole building is OP and could be the ultimate Grief. what about making it of Frames (waiting for it since November 2011) an the move it simply.

well if you can beam a building then you can teleport and entire city with enough effort and planning, i think teleporting (swapping) chunks at a time is the easiest solution. but i don;t know if this could be done instantly with the server online still or if it would cause it to crash or even cause corruption errors. this idea itself is very interesting and i would like for it to be implimented somehow, i'm just not sure as to which is the easiest and most likely method of its implimentation.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• Maybe yes, even if so then i can make a building moving on the Ground and that is definetly possible and Eloraam can do nothing against that (except not releasing Frames).

Where was the thread?... Ahh there.

huh?

A simple Blockteleporter would be great for hiding Bases, but with the Forcefieldaddon or even pistons i can get it too. Teleporting whole chunkloads of Blocks is maybe a good way to move the base, but that would be really to OP and making every Transportationmethod (like Rails to the Base) completely useless and i like making logistic stuff in MC.

end game supposed to be powerful. this idea has basically evolved into an extra function of the forcefield when(or some long time after) it gets implemented. you can't make rails to floating bases(with out them looking like crap) i like floating bases

Before i forget to mention here are some declarations:
    Teleporting = changes the Space-Coordinate of you (nothing to do with Beaming).
    Beaming = dematerializing and rematerializing (so it theoretically copies, kills and pastes you in that order).
    Warpdrive = changes the Coordinategrid of the Space around you.
    Hyperdrive = moving through another Dimension called Subspace.
    FTL-drive = compilation of anything that makes faster than Lightspeed.

this isn't nasa or the set of startrek so what you call it is meaning less
    personally this is where I'm leaning right now
    1.you enter some target coordinates into your "moving-drive"(or what every you want to call it)
    2.you start your "moving-drive"
    3.everything inside the force field your drive is attached to moves into an alternate dimension(referred to from this point as limbo) power is consumed to do this
    4.you sit in limbo until either a. you feed the drive enough power to reach your destination (note: solars and wind shouldn't work in limbo) b. the rate of feed drops below a certain threshold and the drive spits you out somewhere between where you started and your destination
    5.the drive will always spits you out 16 blocks away from anything you could have collided with including the ground to prevent griefing

• Official Post

personally this is where I'm leaning right now
    1.you enter some target coordinates into your "moving-drive"(or what every you want to call it)
    2.you start your "moving-drive"
    3.everything inside the force field your drive is attached to moves into an alternate dimension(referred to from this point as limbo) power is consumed to do this
    4.you sit in limbo until either a. you feed the drive enough power to reach your destination (note: solars and wind shouldn't work in limbo) b. the rate of feed drops below a certain threshold and the drive spits you out somewhere between where you started and your destination
    5.the drive will always spits you out 16 blocks away from anything you could have collided with including the ground to prevent griefing

That's an very advanced Hyperdrive and extreme dangerous, if you are moving to Regions with solid Matter, and don't exactly know where what is at your destination.

All valid "moving-drives" for you are:

Wormholedrive (removes anything at your destination with "natural" antimatter before you're coming)
    Quantumteleportation (huge risk of materialfusion with the destination)
    Hyperdrive (risk of direct collision with your destination)

So you need additional Sensors that are checking if there is only Void/Air if you don't want to make a Griefingdevice. :D

• Getting too complicated ablaka isnt gonna code that and it doesnt sound really usefull too much hassle for just moving around. Would problably cause epic lag with that new dimension. I keep telling to just make a simple block teleporter. It wont give ablaka mountains of coding to do and you would have to 'build' your own teleporter/warp machine whatever you want.

• i don't really see this as over-powered since you can basically do this already with Buildcraft, it's just ALOT easier with how they did it. with then all you do it

1: Write your building to a blueprint. (point A)
    2:take a Builder to the new location and insert blueprint (point B)
    2: put a Quarry or Filler (set to Clear mode) with an osbidian catch plate under it.
    3 pipe the collected materials to the new location at point B
    4. watch your building collapse and get sucked up into the pipes and get perfectly reconstructed at the new location

this isn't exactly instant but it is the same thing you are looking for basically. (noted: this is not currently in SMP sadly as it is in BC3.X which is currently in SSP Testing)

Edit: maybe we could use this technology and improve it to instantly re-render a building block by block as a "Building Fabricator"? it could take a building and compress it into a "Building Assembly #(?)" and then would require a Building Fabricator to "decompress the building" in the new location? not sure how easy this would to be but i know it would be possible.

• Official Post

But the Builder would downgrade any machine in your building so you should dismantle them first. I use CC-Turtleprograms to build my stuff and mine my mines. But if BC 3 can already do it, why that should be added to IC². I mean it would decrease the difficulty of moving Bases (less Difficulty = bad for Pro's).

• But the Builder would downgrade any machine in your building so you should dismantle them first. I use CC-Turtleprograms to build my stuff and mine my mines. But if BC 3 can already do it, why that should be added to IC². I mean it would decrease the difficulty of moving Bases (less Difficulty = bad for Pro's).

true, i never move bases really though. usually if i feel the need to move i just relocated, and run pipes from BC and pour everything into the piping system at the same time and that walk along side it and basically caravan my way to the new base where all the items go into boxes, then i rebuild the city from the items that i sent from the old base and just leave the old on there as an Outpost station for charging items or a landmark to find where i was. but having to manually rebuild structures is good practice, specially if you are a fast and accurate clicker. on a good day i'm faster then a BC Builder anyways :D.