[suggestion] nuclear radiation

• Hello IC forums, I recently got addicted to making nuclear power plants and thought it would be great if reactors emit radiation when running.

My idea was that when running radiation would be emitted that would cause damage unless protective equipment was worn, and it could only be stopped by certain blocks.

Could also add a Geiger counter to measure radiation. Would also be cool if when a reactor explodes radiation spews out contaminating the surrounding area.

Just a idea to make it more realistic:)

• WHO DISTURBS MY SLUMBER!

well first off welcome to the forums

now brace yourself for some constructive criticism if I act fast enough you might be able to salvage this before all your hopes and dreams are crushed
    1. its smart to run searches before posting an idea repeat ideas get treated pretty harshly some times and ideas similar to this have been turned down before
    2. realism should not be the soul purpose to add any thing you can get inspiration from real life but if there isn't a good use or reason for your idea very few if no one will like it
    3. if its not trivially easy to add or doesn't have many non-overpowered uses it could to be a tough sell

that should do for a start i look forward to your revised suggestion

EDIT: dang beaten by our resident certified asshole again

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Hello,
    I posted this on my phone so i didnt see the search bit, and it wasent to really add realism just add a bit more danger perhaps, since its anuclear reactor, make the risks a bit higher. I peorsonaly dont htink i adds anyything oiverpowerd to make anytyhing easier for anyone quite the opposite:D

Well just a thought:)

• Hello,
    I posted this on my phone so i didnt see the search bit, and it wasent to really add realism just add a bit more danger perhaps, since its anuclear reactor, make the risks a bit higher. I peorsonaly dont htink i adds anyything oiverpowerd to make anytyhing easier for anyone quite the opposite:D

Well just a thought:)

usually things that only make life harder get rejected, especially if there is no way to gain from it, and even more especially if it causes an already hazardous mechanic to because even more hazardous when 75% of people don;t even use it anyways because it is to hazardous for them to understand and deal with. so when your making a suggestion think to yourself about who might want this in the game, who might not, what kind of deteriments and benefits are gained from it, will it better the minecraft experience, does it cause an imbalance in stuff that already exsists, does it itself seem like a reasonable idea that everyone might like. if you think even 25% of the people might say no, then think of a way that it might appeal to them as well.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• Official Post

usually things that only make life harder get rejected, especially if there is no way to gain from it, and even more especially if it causes an already hazardous mechanic to because even more hazardous when 75% of people don;t even use it anyways because it is to hazardous for them to understand and deal with. so when your making a suggestion think to yourself about who might want this in the game, who might not, what kind of deteriments and benefits are gained from it, will it better the minecraft experience, does it cause an imbalance in stuff that already exsists, does it itself seem like a reasonable idea that everyone might like. if you think even 25% of the people might say no, then think of a way that it might appeal to them as well.

I would've added Radiation to ON nuclearreactors so that you need to wall around the reactor and have to swithc it off before going into the room, but i is already denied so theres nothing we can do with it, except you want to do it like the Lightningrodsuggesters, and just Spam Radiationthreads every once week.

For that case i would borrow Alblakas Shotgun to BAM, DIE STALKER! 8)

• I would've added Radiation to ON nuclearreactors so that you need to wall around the reactor and have to swithc it off before going into the room, but i is already denied so theres nothing we can do with it, except you want to do it like the Lightningrodsuggesters, and just Spam Radiationthreads every once week.

For that case i would borrow Alblakas Shotgun to BAM, DIE STALKER! 8)

well if your running a 70%+ breeder reactor you have to do that anyways because at 70% i think you start taking radiation/burn damage.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• lava damage is 85%+ at 85% the reactor starts turning nearby blocks into lava, then the lava heats the reacctor more and it explodes, that's usually the point of no return.

• I see what yous mean, just thought since nuclear reactors can deliver so much power there should be a little more risk (apart from them having the possibility to crater your home)

• Official Post

lava damage is 85%+ at 85% the reactor starts turning nearby blocks into lava, then the lava heats the reacctor more and it explodes, that's usually the point of no return.

Hmm i returned twice from that point with CASUCs by mining them fast with the drill (reactor lost but not the Base)

But i blew up a Base with a CASUC so it stands 2:1 for me.

And i would've got your "Hulk Angry"-Achievement for the exploded one.

• I see what yous mean, just thought since nuclear reactors can deliver so much power there should be a little more risk (apart from them having the possibility to crater your home)

they do have hazards :) 40% anything flammable catches fire (burn done your house or forest), 50% external water blocks used as coolant start evaporating (starts heating up faster), 70% everything in a 7x7x7 area starts taking radiation damage (will kill you if your AFK and the reactor starts heating up), 85+ blocks nearby start turning to lava and the reactor heats up even faster cause of the lava, (house burns down, you die, you burn, if in the air will cause "Lava"falls) if your trying to run a breeder reactor then they are VERY hazardous to most people. one guy on my server has already blown up like 4 or 5 reactors trying to figure out Breeders.

Edit: My CASUC reactor always have a ice block "Flood Bath" and catch/return system so that it will never get over 5%. i'm steering away from the CASUC reactors though except maybe abunch of small 9 Uranium Cell ones that require minor amounts of coolant.

• so basically kmanderson radiation is already implemented its just rolled in with the heat the reactor makes.
    so the next time you want to suggest realism ask your self this "is this realistic for a world where I can carry 1 cubic meter of molten rock in an open tin bucket in my pants?"

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• so basically kmanderson radiation is already implemented its just rolled in with the heat the reactor makes.
    so the next time you want to suggest realism ask your self this "is this realistic for a world where I can carry 1 cubic meter of molten rock in an open tin bucket in my pants?"

lol, or 200 metric tons of cobblestone. i bet that would be one hell of a balancing act.... performed by superman :D

• Thanks, i didnt even know any of that was implamented :D

no problem, if you have any other questions about stuff that you think you might need to know, toss me a private message, and welcome to the forums.