Power transfer difficulties

• I dug into a mountain to set up my base, so I figured that it would be best if I dug a staircase to the top so I could use wind generators as well as solar panels.

Trouble is, the top of the mountain is about 125, and the base of it is 80. So I'm going to get some pretty significant energy loss if I use copper wiring. Tin cable won't work either, because it only supports the 7 EU/t or whatever it is.

So, even though the loss is the same no matter what, would sending the energy with HV/EV result in lower losses than sending it with MV/LV?

(Sorry is this is stupid question, the energy system is a bit confusing :\)

• Official Post

Yes, because energy loss is based upon packets.

If you have a powerline with a total loss of 10EU from point A to point B, sending LV yields far more total loss, compared to HV or even EV.

A LV package consists of 32 EU. Means, for every 32 EU sent, you loose 10, which is about one third.
    If you, however, send 2048er packages (EV), you still loose 10 EU for each packet. And 10 of 2048 is less then 1%.

• Adding to Alblaka's comment - When you take packet size into account, Gold has half the energy loss of copper, HV Iron has half the energy loss of Gold, and EV Iron has half the energy loss of HV Iron. Just remember to fully insulate your cables (2x for gold, 3x for iron) -- this drastically reduces energy loss.

• Official Post

Adding to Alblaka's comment - When you take packet size into account, Gold has half the energy loss of copper, HV Iron has half the energy loss of Gold, and EV Iron has half a quarter of the energy loss of HV Iron. Just remember to fully insulate your cables (2x for gold, 3x for iron) -- this drastically reduces energy loss.

Just corrected your Facts.

• you can still use tin if you only using windmills and solars no matter how many you have because they each output <5 unless if you wind gers are super high...... anf if you cant get those resouces id recomand coppor cabling and batterboxies

still rocking the GMA 950 card :D overclocked to the point of smoking. :huh: hahahahaha now i got my 525m now that thing does work 8) :P :D