[Question] Integrate addon

• Just because i don't know this and i'm curious, i ask: :P

The developers of a mod, that want to integrate some addon made by someone else into their main minecraft mod, must respect some legal obligation that the owner of the addon have due to the copyright or can integrate it also without permission? or a developer have noway to see some of the addon of this mod integrated? ?(

I asked myself this... because IC2 have some important addon that are actually part of the mod infact... :sleeping: and i can't understand why these addon aren't actually integrated into the main mod...
    i'm thinking about addon like charging branch, advanced machine and compact solars :rolleyes: (and some other that really add intresting and unique features really inline with the HAYO way of think 8o )... i dunno how many time their are there, and how many people add that addons to their IC2 like fondamental part of that... so i'm confused... :|

It's a legal problem, or an integration problem, a game balance problem, a way to respect the creators of the addons (or maybe a lazyness problem, it come to me the idea that the dev haven't in mind to integrate any of the addon because the addon dev update their addon alone, so less work? :S )

No charges to anyone... i simply wanna know why... :)

• Official Post

According to Alblaka in the Addonthread its not a legal problem

Chargingbench: A good Addon, nothing serious to say against it (only Textures and Recipes are a bit nonhayoish).
    Advanced Machines: Alblaka said no due to the fact that its too OP, he added the Inductionfurnace only because smelting is the most basic Minecraftwork.
    Compact Solars: Simply OP and more than one time denied, he will make a better way of controling Solar-Lag in the far future.

• We are actually discussing the possibility to add an energy tap in the suggestion section... but from my point of wiew it looks all like Charging bench... :huh:

I can understand the reason of the decision behind advanced machine... :)

Solar array aren't OP unless u use creative to make someone... u have to make every single solar panel to construct 'em... personally i don't like this addon... the possibility that if i lose that block i lose half my EU production scary me a lot... a nuclear reactor is well shilded and drown so mob can't go near... but the array i must put it letterally at the sun light... so risky... (and it's also a bit unrealistic) :S

So sad after all... many suggestion tread add so many useful idea... but they come out only in the form of an addon...
    See nuclear control and ciderboat for example: they are developing a control block for the nuclear reactor (i guess)... and they have an addon already done, and under testing that add the same things...
    And Alblaka say that he don't want veicles that go on EU, but ciderboat is only an inproved HAYO boat! In line with what he saied... so why not include that? i don't know minecraft programming but isn't it like copy-paste, and a little ID management??? :(

Don't wanna accuse no one... it's only that i don't know why i spend so much time controlling and inventing new ideas for suggestion section because of my passion for this mod, and knowing that near nothing that is sayed in there will become a part of IC2... why open a suggestion section then? Actually the only thing that i see immidiatly implemented was iron scaffold... :|

• Official Post

I don't know minecraft programming but isn't it like copy-paste, and a little ID management??? :(

Exactly. This (actually five Days long beginning on Friday) Weekend, I'm trying to make an (only SSP) Addon that adds the LESU, an easier to manage, large Energystorageblock (better and lagfreeer than a MFSU-Chain but theoretically larger) based on LapisLazuli.

• Compact Solars: Simply OP

Could someone elaborate on this point for this newbie? Compact Solars does not seem to have any flavor of OP involved, as it requires extra resources to get the same amount of EU in less space. I suppose there's a debate to be had whether the transformers are more or less valuable than the tin cabling they replace. Tin cabling for 512 original solar panels takes a stack of tin, one HV Solar Array producing the same EU as 512 original panels costs those 512 original panels plus 269 copper, 154 rubber, a diamond, 10 redstone, and 73 refined iron.

I am very interested in the comparison between the two because I am running a private server for me and my pals, and balance is a concern of mine.

• Official Post

Could someone elaborate on this point for this newbie? Compact Solars does not seem to have any flavor of OP involved, as it requires extra resources to get the same amount of EU in less space. I suppose there's a debate to be had whether the transformers are more or less valuable than the tin cabling they replace. Tin cabling for 512 original solar panels takes a stack of tin, one HV Solar Array producing the same EU as 512 original panels costs those 512 original panels plus 269 copper, 154 rubber, a diamond, 10 redstone, and 73 refined iron.

I am very interested in the comparison between the two because I am running a private server for me and my pals, and balance is a concern of mine.

Imagine ONE Block that needs line of sight to sky to function, and now imagine 512 of them. The visibillity is pretty much intended, because Space is also a rare Good in Minecraft, even if the World is Infinite, and a secret Base powered by one HV-Solar instead of 512 single Solars is pretty much invisible.

You could also imagine the ton of Blocks compressed into a single Block. Pretty unrealistic even for MC, huh?

One single Block produces effective 256 EU/t (in Deserts) without doing anything, that would give you even more Solarusers, even if Solar is THE WORST (except Unmanned Water) Energysource of whole IC², and why should the worst Energysource get used as much as that?

• I can understand and agree with your visibility concern, especially if you have PvP concerns, though I question why anyone would use anything that needs sky visibility in such a situation.

As far as unrealistic, I don't see that as a balance concern. Jet packs and handheld battery-backpack-operated diamond-tip drills that dig for miles and armor that generates a personal invincibility field are unrealistic. Spending more time and resources to make a more efficient (in terms of electricity generated per square inch) solar panel is an actual thing that really happens.

Solar with Compact Solars are still the worst power solution, in terms of eu/t generated for resources spent. What Compact Solars does is lower the intellectual barrier for entry. You don't need to be good with numbers to build an HV Solar Array, and you don't need to follow a detailed wind or water farm tutorial / schematic. Anyone can build one. It's the brute-force option.

Thanks for your insight. The footprint issue is an entirely valid balance concern. It's just not one that effects my small friends-only server, which is what I was concerned about :thumbup: