Suggestion: Geothermal generator rework \ New generator

• Official Post

The way actual geothermal works is way too unrealistic for me, as it consumes lava (and it doesnt give any product like obsidian or cobblestone) to generate power.
    normal generator should be able to consume lava as it consumes anything that a furnace does.
    If you don't want to rework geothermal, you can use it as a part of the recipe of the new generator (Core Tap, in spoiler)

Geothermal generator rework \ New generator: (Idea of I don't now)

If you think it is too OP, reduce by 2 , 5 or 10 the energy it generates.

It could also have a new GUI that looks like a nuclear reactor GUI, and you "build" your drill.
    (It comes with a basic design already prepared for people who doesnt want to make designs to generate energy)
    changing items location affects drill stats : Drill Speed, Drill Energy usage, Drill Heat resistance, Energy Generation

Good designs makes it drill faster, use less energy, lower risk to melt
    Bad designs makes it drill slower, use more energy , higher risk to melt
    Some designs can melt pipes and even make it blow.

• Yay! Someone likes my idea!
    Regarding SPawnX's thoughts: And that's why I suggested it for an addon, not for base IC².

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.

• i like this idea somehow (for addons). But the volcano might burn my computer. (I must get powerful PC!)

• i didn't understand some things:
    1. i really not understand how this is configured... is like a miner or a block that push down another block with the help of conductive pipe?
    2. How u can input and output EU from this? from the block on top?
    3. once that it almost reach the "inner crust" it have to drill through the bedrock... as he can't replace it, and it can't ignore it what u do? simply delete the drill head and feign that it's going down or open a irrecuperable hole in the bottom of the world?
    4. even if u make this thing able to brake out the badrock in this way, there is the VOID under this! -> MINECRAFTIA HAVEN'T A CORE! -> This suggestion is uncompatible with the existing Minecraftia.
    5. why such a difficult and ULTRA EXPANSIVE thing when we have a well tested, cheap and efficient geogen? is a bit unrealistic, i admit this and we can work a for this, but why transform such a miracle of IC2 into the monster that u suggest???

• Official Post

i didn't understand some things:
    1. i really not understand how this is configured... is like a miner or a block that push down another block with the help of conductive pipe?
    2. How u can input and output EU from this? from the block on top?
    3. once that it almost reach the "inner crust" it have to drill through the bedrock... as he can't replace it, and it can't ignore it what u do? simply delete the drill head and feign that it's going down or open a irrecuperable hole in the bottom of the world?
    4. even if u make this thing able to brake out the badrock in this way, there is the VOID under this! -> MINECRAFTIA HAVEN'T A CORE! -> This suggestion is uncompatible with the existing Minecraftia.
    5. why such a difficult and ULTRA EXPANSIVE thing when we have a well tested, cheap and efficient geogen? is a bit unrealistic, i admit this and we can work a for this, but why transform such a miracle of IC2 into the monster that u suggest???

1. and 2. A miner above bedrock, which outputs energy on any face
    3. It wont actually drill.
    3,1 Its GUI will "fake" that it is drilling and show its depth, heat ,heat drill resistance, energy output, energy usage for drilling , drilling speed, time until reaching next inner stage.
    4. It wont break (It will pretend that Minecraftia has a core)
    5. IMO normal generator should be able to consume lava for power as it burns anything (fuel based) furnaces does.

• Official Post

This System sounds not that Good for me.

You are harvesting resources, which are not existent in the normal MC-World, which is basically just a new "green"/infinite Energysource, or a new way of burning Fuels (which is already covered by a Generator).

Basically you are producing Energy out of Energy with that Device, what is way too OP.

• Official Post

This System sounds not that Good for me.

You are harvesting resources, which are not existent in the normal MC-World, which is basically just a new "green"/infinite Energysource, or a new way of burning Fuels (which is already covered by a Generator).

Basically you are producing Energy out of Energy with that Device, what is way too OP.

You can always get free energy with renewable generators, that would be another one that can compete with already existant ones :

Wind -> good energy output -> Special Condition : Height + Air (free space)
    Solar -> medium energy output -> Special Condition: Free view of Sky (Sunlight)
    Water -> low energy output -> Special condition : Water neaby (placeable anywhere)
    'Geothermal" -> high/medium/low energy output (Up to devs) -> Special condition : Underground + Energy before producing energy (Like a fusion reactor) + lots of time.

Generator -> High energy output -> Special condition : Automated Burnable stuff Farm (Redpower?)

Nuclear is the only one that cant be renewable in any way (except with Thaumcraft or EE, but thats cheating...).

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt heat can be transported 5000km to the surface, but if it can, I don't think there is going to be much heat left. Even if the turbine was in the depths, it would still lose the majority of all the power on the way up. Also, drilling 40km in a day seems just a little bit too fast.

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt heat can be transported 5000km to the surface, but if it can, I don't think there is going to be much heat left. Even if the turbine was in the depths, it would still lose the majority of all the power on the way up.

You can take a bucket of lava with you forever without a) the bucket melting and/or b) the lava cooling in Minecraft.

Also, drilling 40km in a day seems just a little bit too fast.

You can't dig away a cubic meter of solid rock in a few seconds with your fist in Real Life, but in Minecraft you can.

Quote from Alblaka

Unrealistic?
    This...
    is...
    MINECRAFT *kicks Physics off the ledge*

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.

• Lol. My FIRST thread was talking about adding Heat Pipes ... But everybody said me "NO! Already Denied!" Because they only read the Tier IV Parts ...
    Heat Pipes Should maybe be made of Integrated Heat Dispenser ? And instead of the layer's rules, I would suggest it should produce energy when directly on Bedrock, but what you suggested is too OP I think:
    I would prefer:
    Bedrock: 1 Heat/t (=EU/t in GeoGen, or something more harder to get, producing EU from Heat, with a percentages of losses)
    Volcano Should have a special Bedrock under (Volcano from RedPower) That could produce maybe 20 Heat/t, or making appear a Lava Sources on every 50 sec per example (to run a GeoGen all the time)
    Nether BedRock could maybe produce 2 Heat/t.

And, exept the fact it would be longer to code, I think a system of collecting Heat by Water/Other Fluids Circuits would be better ... (In my first Thread I spoke about Pipe's Level, making the lower one able to collect Energy without high cost from Natural Sources, and Higher lvl to gather Heat from lower to save Energy by using One Generator more efficient, but expensive too).

Also, +1 for the Idea, except your way seems to be too OP (The 2048 EU/t things especially, even if it's risky).

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Also, +1 for the Idea, except your way seems to be too OP (The 2048 EU/t things especially, even if it's risky).

I don't think it's overpowered as you have to create five million pipes to get there. That equals, if you create 64 sets of pipes per crafting and each sets consists of 64 pipes, over 2500000 pieces of coal and almost 30000 diamonds. When you think about that, 2048 EU/t are way too little, especially because it can blow up your whole base! Maybe the risk of a volcanic eruption should be lower than in my original idea...
    By the way, I didn't suggest to replace the geothermal generator, just to make a new generator which consists of multiple blocks.

Then, you connect it [The Core Drill] to a High-Temperature Turbine using alloy pipes or insulated high-temperature pipes, depending on how deep you drill.

I don't think it's overpowered as you have to create five million pipes to get there. That equals, if you create 64 sets of pipes per crafting and each sets consists of 64 pipes, over 2500000 pieces of coal and almost 30000 diamonds. When you think about that, 2048 EU/t are way too little, especially because it can blow up your whole base! Maybe the risk of a volcanic eruption should be lower than in my original idea...
    By the way, I didn't suggest to replace the geothermal generator, just to make a new generator which consists of multiple blocks.

Quoted
    Then, you connect it [The Core Drill] to a High-Temperature Turbine using alloy pipes or insulated high-temperature pipes, depending on how deep you drill.

Maybe I did not read all ^^
    Ok, that's not OP ;)

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Official Post

Well in my opinion the geothermal works in a way that is too unrealistic, even for minecraft (which doesnt like physics).
    Your idea suits best geothermal (a little bit in Real life too, since geothermal powerplants use earth's core heat to boil water and activate turbines with it to generate energy)

• @OP (OriginalPoster) that is Über-OP (OverPowered) Energy with MEGA-Über-OP (OverPrized) Costs. Who the hell gets 30000 Diamonds in a Game without EE?

Hmmm ... The thing is, that theses recipes wouldn't be if this suggestion is considered by the devellopers. You know as me that the recipes and balanced question aren't solved very often on THIS forum but by the dev team.
    But it's a proof for one thing: you've no real reasons to deny it, it's just because "Immerged GeoGen already get denied. Let's nuke !"

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• If that would be the Case, then i would've Nuked it with my first Post,

lol.

but i just said, that i dislike that System, because its not balancable enough.

I think the Idea of a GUI as for nuclear Reactor could be good, or maybe it could be simply depending on the layers, as for Windmill, but without needing air ?
    Or making certains type of blocks able to produce Heat then EU with your turbine, heat you could gather with pipes-circuits. I'm personaly for this one, and I think Geogen shouldn't be able to create Heat:
    -Fire (But a very little amount, in order to avoid mass Netherrack + flames + pipes setup, it could just be useful when there isn't another source of energy you could exploit)
    -Lava, but it would turnt it into Obsidian (instantly, and providing you 20 000 EU or more, according to the sophisticated system it is compared to basics Geogen)
    -BedRock (Something like 1EU/t)
    -One block under volcano, 20 EU/t
    -Nuclear Reactor, for more external cooling. (And more EU produced, because Heat cooled would be turned in EU by the Turbine) [I know it belongs to already denied Ideas, but this whole thread seems to be full of ADI ^^)

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Official Post

@OP (OriginalPoster) that is Über-OP (OverPowered) Energy with MEGA-Über-OP (OverPrized) Costs. Who the hell gets 30000 Diamonds in a Game without EE?

I can get them, i have 100 wind towers producing 1 uum every 4s :P [legit in a server] (it would take 300 hours of gameplay lol)

• Official Post

That are 2.4 Minecraftyears!!! Or 0.4 Minecraftyears if you apply Scrap constantly!!! Of course you need for every 1000 EU/t an additional Massfab, if running on Scrap.

I'm sure i can't produce enough scrap for that. Since Cobblestone generators are disabled (flowing lava turns into glass) , snowballs, snowblocks are disabled in recycler , ice wouldn't be energy-friendly. Can't think another (lag-free) way to generate scrap