[Suggestion]: Radioactivity

• Name: Radioactivity

Description: I've checked a couple of pages in the suggestion forums, but I've found nothing, and i don't know whether this is planned or not, so here goes:

Radioactivity. Right now, you can swim in uranium or get close to a fully functional nuclear reactor without even a itch, and i was thinking if that couldnt change. At first radioactivity would start having simple effects, like miner fatigue, weakness, e.t.c, evolving to heavier symptoms with excessive exposure like blindness, combat weakness. At extreme levels it would start subtracting hp from the player/mob.

Things like uranium cells or ores wouldnt have much of a effect, but a full-fledged nuclear reactor could kill in a few minutes.
    A nuclear explosion or a meltdown would leave fallout in a large area.

To protect yourself there are several methods. To contain things like uranium ore, a small box (radioactive container?) wich worked sort of like the toolbox, but would only keep uranium cells, ores and other alike. To protect yorself from environmental radioactivity like a nuclear reactor, you would need a HazMat suit, or a NBC suit (higher combat resistance), but you need the full set to protect yourself. The hazmat breaks very easily under combat, unlike the NBC.

Every block has a "radioactivity resistance" value, wich determines wheter the block can or not allow radioactivity trough (hiding in a dirt shelter wouldnt be the best vs a nuclear fallout. There could be a "fallout shelter" block, with a high radioactivity resistance, but few explosion resistance (you still need reinforced stone to survive a nuclear attack.

To detect the radioactivity level, you could use a Geiger counter, wich would make those "sounds", the faster= more radioactivity, showing a screen where you would see if the radiactivity levels are too high or low enough

Recipes:

I haven't thought much about this, but the container should be made from a derivation of refined iron and maybe coal dust. The Hazmat and the NBC, well, im clueless ?( . The geigher counter would involve copper, iron and redstone. and the fallout shelter could involve construction foam and stone/ gravel/ reinforced stone. Ill leave the dev team to decide.

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• Radiation is denied.

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.

However, if somebody can supply me with an idea how to implement lag-free radiation and a way to counter it (excluding it), you're free to ask again.

Isn't the easiest way is using sort of transparent greenish blocks, that put a very long debuff on you?
    Isn't it sort of...Obvious?
    It would take only 1 block id.

• Official Post

Isn't the easiest way is using sort of transparent greenish blocks, that put a very long debuff on you?
    Isn't it sort of...Obvious?
    It would take only 1 block id.

Its not possible to make that, due to the Tact, that a simple Torch/Door/Redstonedust can prevent it from being placed.

I cant think of a really Lagfree way to implement Radiation. The Lagfreeest Idea i have is permanently (every 2 secs) checking all Mobs/Players around a Reactor and then, depending on if the Distance to it is shorter, than lets say 50 Meters, make one Explosionray-like Radiationray and shoot it into the Direction of the Mob/Player. Then the Ray checks the Radiationresistence of the Blocks (Like Explosionresistance) and decreases the Radiationdamage against the Player.

I have once implemented Radiation in the 2D-Game "Clonk", and it wasnt so much lagging (even if every Pixel there is only 10x10cm² large).

Its not possible to make that, due to the Tact, that a simple Torch/Door/Redstonedust can prevent it from being placed.

imple Torch/Door/Redstonedust can prevent it from being placed.

And whats the problem in that?
    Place it around it, huh?

I cant think of a really Lagfree way to implement Radiation. The Lagfreeest Idea i have is permanently (every 2 secs) checking all Mobs/Players around a Reactor and then, depending on if the Distance to it is shorter, than lets say 50 Meters, make one Explosionray-like Radiationray and shoot it into the Direction of the Mob/Player. Then the Ray checks the Radiationresistence of the Blocks (Like Explosionresistance) and decreases the Radiationdamage against the Player.

That would eat a lot of FPS if you get close to reactor, no?
    Drawing all those beams and stuff?

• I know that radiation is an big scale problem due to his penetration power... but what about simply damage a player that come near than a certain number of block from any uranium source?

for example:
    3 block distance for ore
    5 block distance for ingot/cell
    10 block distance for active reactor

it's like the electrocution of uninsulated wire but with a sfere shape... deal 1 point of damage every 10 seconds in the area and suppress normal healt regeneration...

Personally i don't like the radiation concept, but i guess this is merely lagfree and not THAT invasive like other person what to be...