[Suggestion] Crafting Recipe -- Melons to Melon Slices (Agriculture Related)

• Vanilla Minecraft/Vanilla Farming: You break the melon blocks to get melon slices

IC2 Agriculture of Melons: Crops yield melon blocks and slices. The slices are immediately useful, but the blocks need to be placed, broken, and collected.

Suggestion: In trials, it seemed that the melon always dropped 6 slices. Instead of breaking the block, I would advocate a shapeless recipe (so one could use it without a crafting bench) of 1 melon -> 6 melon slices.

Once again, a very minor tweak, but I believe a needed one to interface IC2-Agriculture correctly with all the (pre 1.3) vanilla crops.

• Suggestion: In trials, it seemed that the melon always dropped 6 slices. Instead of breaking the block, I would advocate a shapeless recipe (so one could use it without a crafting bench) of 1 melon -> 6 melon slices.

Being a fine connoisseur of melons (I once built a house out of them as viewable here) It is my experience that melons do not drop 6 slices always, I agree with your overall idea, but I think that maybe melons should be place able in an extractor which would in turn output 6 melon slices

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Sounds like a good idea, using the extractor makes a lot of sense too.

Quote from Minecraftwiki

Destroying a melon yields 3-7 melon slices

Letting it extract only 6 slices isn't worth using the 800 EU though.
    With the incredible separating power of the extractor you'd expect at least 9 slices!

• Melon block crafted from 9 Slices.
    Should be a way to get 9 Slices back from Melon block.
    Be it Extractor, Macerator or just recipe (Melon+Wooden Sword=9 Melon Slices).

• Melon block crafted from 9 Slices.
    Should be a way to get 9 Slices back from Melon block.
    Be it Extractor, Macerator or just recipe (Melon+Wooden Sword=9 Melon Slices).

I agree with this so that melons and melon storage blocks can be interchanged just like the ore storage blocks can, although I believe that it should be the extractor that does this as a macerator would most likely blend it into little chunks, plus the way that I see it I think that the extractor sees little use compared to the macerator as extractors do 7 things and 3 of which involve extracting rubber, while macerators do 9 things (10 with Redpower) so while the energy costs would be the same, I think the extractor needs more uses

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• While Macerator would make mix from Melon, Extractor on the same logic would make Juice.

How about Melon block cut to 9 Slices by ChainSaw?

• While Macerator would make mix from Melon, Extractor on the same logic would make Juice.

How about Melon block cut to 9 Slices by ChainSaw?

Are you talking about in a crafting recipe or the vanilla method but with a chainsaw?

• To make Chainsaw usable in the Crafting grid it should become "container". Doubt it will be done.
    So I talk about use it as perfect tool to cut Melon blocks in world to 9 slices each.
    At least it would cost you EU.

• WOAH WOAH WOAH! Tangents Ahoy! Let's try to bring this back.

@ CrafterOfMines57: Okay, I admit it was only 2 trials. I might have had a non-typical experience.

@ (All other ideas): No. Or, at least, not exclusively. The original idea was one purposefully without tools, without automation, and certainly without IC2 Machines. I would want to see a crafting recipe at least; perhaps close to the least efficient. For example, CrafterOfMines57 offered the 3-7 range. Some simple math reveals that the expected value of that range is 5 consistently -- so perhaps the base crafting recipe would offer 4 slices per melon.

Macerator: I agree that the macerator is likely to result in a slurry of both watermelon and rind.

Extractor
    : If one would picture the extractor inserting a syringe into the melon and extracting the nutrition within, one might end up with several pieces of a concentrated jelly. Say 6 or 7 pieces of this jelly that for the sake of simplicity would act exactly like and have the same item_number as the melon slice.

Chainsaw: I doubt that this will happen, but if it would, I believe you are attempting to replicate the functionality of all of Eloraam's tools in crafting. The replication would be such that a melon plus a chainsaw would result in 8 or maybe even 9 slices and a chainsaw with reduced battery power.

-----

So in conclusion, I'd like to stress that the recipe is the base of the idea. For example, when:

• You find melon seeds before you find enough redstone to industrialize
    • You are away from your base and don't want to have to break the block.

But once you industrialize, there may indeed be improvements, just as rubber production increases once you get the extractor.
    Thanks for reading.