[Suggestion] Alternate Current

• Well Its time to take IC out of the Direct current age and into the Alternate current age. First some real life history. Alternate current was found by some guy named Nikola Tesla. He turned Direct current DC into Alternating current AC with the... Tesla Coil... But we use that for swatting mobs. So Alternating current is used for long distance energy transportation. It turned the effective range of electricity from 1 mile using DC to 100 miles using AC. Now I propose that we add AC into IC. :thumbup: . Basicly I'm suggesting that we have to craft a a motor sort of like tesla's using a HV transformer a couple copper ingots and an advanced machine like this
    :Copper Ingot: :Copper Ingot: :Copper Ingot:

:Copper Ingot: :Tesla Coil: :Copper Ingot:

:Copper Ingot: :Advanced Machine: :Copper Ingot:

where the :Tesla Coil: is a HV transformer. Now this little machine here would be needed on both ends one to turn it into AC and one to turn it back into usable DC in our homes and factories. It will decrese energy loss by minimizing energy loss by, not 100:1 like the real Tesla Coil but more like 10:1 seems more fair. This will still cause fair energy loss over longer distances in a large city environment. Like huge. Like more thank a couple of MC Km cus. for Glass fibre to lose 1 EU with this setup it will need to travel 400 blocks O.o. But on a related note the HV cable will still lose 1 eu uninsulated and 1 eu every 12.5 cables fully insulated. Still resulting in a decent energy loss over say 400 blocks. This will also make it easier to build windmills a decent distance away to fix any lag issues the sounds cause. Also this will make our worlds prettier. Please give me feedback on this and if I screwed up and somehow missed a suggestion while using the search function I appologize. Everyone thank Mr.Tesla for pwning mobs for us.

That's a rather cool idea, but a lone tree is suspicious, better plant some more. So really... forget about solar-flowers, solar-trees are the next generation :P

• Official Post

Yes, Nikola Tesla is awesome, but since we have Glassfibrecabling, its not really necessary to make Longrange-Energytransportation. And Powerplants which are 10 times more far away would be out of the loaded Chunks, and we dont have my electric Chunkloader, which is not implemented (yet).

So, that Idea is not really applyable on Minecraftgameplay.

• Official Post

And this have already been suggested before ^^.

And unlike the Lightningrod, i will not make an Addon for this. (From the newest "enchanting" suggestion)

And for this?
    NanoTech Laboratory
    As it has some kind of approval from the devs [If you want i can quote the posts, as it will take some time to find them]

• Official Post

SpawnX just like to throw links to all of his past suggestions in most of his posts, like if he where a 5 year old proud of his "Wee-Wee" and running around naked doing the helicopter.

If i like to, its not of your concern.
    thanks for your opinion anyway...

And, i really would like if there was an addon for "enchanting" that keeps reappearing many times on suggestion forum.

• May we get back on topic please? GregoriusT this is meant for servers where power theres a central power grid and glassfibres are exspensive as crap. Also SpwnX -1 for derail. :P.

Edit: and while it is from Buildcraft alot of people use buildcraft and I've never seen a pure IC2 server so tele tethers.

That's a rather cool idea, but a lone tree is suspicious, better plant some more. So really... forget about solar-flowers, solar-trees are the next generation :P

• How does this change everything about how you play with this mod? It adds 1 block which can help extend energy range. You don't have to use it. Just like trade-o-mats were made for smp why can we not add alternate current? Anyways lets see what one of the IC2 team has to say if they want to pipe up on this.

• Official Post

May we get back on topic please? GregoriusT this is meant for servers where power theres a central power grid and glassfibres are exspensive as crap.

Even if glass fibers are expensive, if you have resources to build a city power plant, you surely have resources to wire it to the whole city.

• Thanks for that argument spwn. it makes more sense than Fenix's.

Edit: also depends on how big the city is but for the most part this is true.