solar array not charging up my batbox

• I have 2 lines of 8 solar panels with insulated copper cable running under them. Both of these arrays are connected to about 60 blocks long glass fibre cable which in turn is connected to batbox. My question is why aren't my solarpanels charging the batbox ?

Below is an ascii drawing of the setup where s = solar panel, g = glass fibre cable and b is the batbox.

s
    s
    s
    s
    s
    s
    s
    s
    g gx60 b
    s
    s
    s
    s
    s
    s
    s
    s

• The solar panels produce 1EU/t packets that do not (automatically) stack with each other. Glass fiber has a loss of 1EU/t per 20(or 40?) blocks, so the energy just disappears after traveling 20 blocks of glass fiber cable. Some of the energy from the solar panels is also lost to the copper cables, as they lose 1EU/t every 5 blocks.You should rather connect the solar panels with tin cable and use a LV-transformer to convert the energy into MV(128EU/t) before the 60-block long line of glass fiber cable and then convert it back to LV before the batbox with another transformer.

• The solar panels produce 1EU/t packets that do not (automatically) stack with each other. Glass fiber has a loss of 1EU/t per 20(or 40?) blocks, so the energy just disappears after traveling 20 blocks of glass fiber cable. Some of the energy from the solar panels is also lost to the copper cables, as they lose 1EU/t every 5 blocks.You should rather connect the solar panels with tin cable and use a LV-transformer to convert the energy into MV(128EU/t) before the 60-block long line of glass fiber cable and then convert it back to LV before the batbox with another transformer.

40 blocks for glass fiber. so 39 blocks without loss and the loss hits on 40.

• There is (as Alblaka normally puts it) I slight misconception of the Enet going on. A single solar panel will produce 1 eu/t and that 1 eu/t is in its own packet. so 6 solar panels hooked up to 1 tin cable will not fry the cable. as its 6 packets of 1 eu/t not 6 eu/t in one packet. You need to put something down a batbox or a transformer down before it experiences cable based energy loss. Otherwise you lose the energy. So you basicly made a very exspensive (glassfibre cables OMAHGERD!) energy plant that doesn't actually give you energy due to cable based energy loss.

That's a rather cool idea, but a lone tree is suspicious, better plant some more. So really... forget about solar-flowers, solar-trees are the next generation :P

• Just use Zjarek's quote to explain everything about packets (I predict we'll be quoting this for years to come)

In IC2 electricity is only a buzz word for small magical dwarfs carrying nanobatteries. From every energy source or storage there is one dwarf released every tick. Size of a dwarf is determined by amount of energy they are carrying. Cables are in reality just a tunnels where they run. If a cable or machine don't provide enough space for a dwarf it will get angry and blow up.

However many dwarfs are happy to run alongside each other and will in cooperation carry any amount of energy through a cable. Big dwarf will still prefer to blow up, then to split, but he can split into smaller dwarfs in transformer. Every smaller dwarf which is produced by transformer can go to the same output tunnel.

These useful little creatures are also sometimes nicknamed packets.

but basically as everyone else has said, either move your solar array closer, use transformers somehow, or put the batbox 39 blocks away from the array

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Crafter that is a really good way of explaining it. Link to post? Kudos Zjarek.

That's a rather cool idea, but a lone tree is suspicious, better plant some more. So really... forget about solar-flowers, solar-trees are the next generation :P

• Crafter that is a really good way of explaining it. Link to post? Kudos Zjarek.

I don't actually know where the original post is, ask Greg, he's the one that posted it in the IC2 related quotes

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l