Industrial Backpacks! (Ic² V1.103)

• Employees in the industry have never worked harder. Miners go mining and carry materials to the surface, and builders carry materials to build with. But there is one problem: none of them carry as much as they can carry on their back! Hence, the Industrial Backpack. A useful, expensive, and high-tech method of carrying more useless items.

ITEMS
    Industrial Backpack
    (EQUIPPABLE ITEM)
    Input: 4 leather, 4 advanced alloy.
    Output: 1 Industrial Backpack
    Description:
    Durable, hard-wearing backpack with limited space and weighs a fair bit. Also uncomfortable over long journeys.
    1x9 or 3x3 extra item space. Wearable in the chestplate slot. Provides no armor value whatsoever. Impairs movement. (Possible to decrease movementspeed to 90% while wearing?)

Modified Industrial Backpack

(CRAFTING ITEM)
    Input: 1 Industrial Backpack, 3 carbon plates, compressor.
    Output: 1 Modified Industrial Backpack
    Description: A slightly modified variant of the standard Industrial Backpack. Works like a normal backpack, only 'better'. In fact, nobody really knows how much better, only that it uses certain 'special' procedures which may or may not be legal to create a space of vast proportions in a miniscule area. Nobody knows who came up with the design, but it is almost certain that the designer is a sociopath.
    There is one outstanding problem, though. It doesn't have a power source.

Nano Backpack
    Input: 1 Nano Armor Chestplate, 1 1x. ins HV cable, 2 carbon plates, 1 Modified Industrial Backpack.
    Output: 1 Nano Backpack
    (Holding a chestplate inside a furnace will melt the connections as long as it is unpowered, thus providing you with a chestplate and modified backpack)
    Description:
    A rather ingenious invention by a startlingly ugly and possibly senile senior professor. Power has been rerouted from the energy crystal to the backpack. Although ingenious, the power requirement for such a thing is tremendous, and thus the backpack will take 2.5EU/t to maintain access to the contained inventory, and the nano armor will lose more energy per unit of damage taken due to the larger forcefield required to maintain the integrity of the armor and backpack.
    Inventory space: 3x9!
    If the backpack becomes completely drained of energy, the contents of the backpack will be inaccessible OR LOST (dun dun dun).

Quantum Backpack

See Nano Backpack. Same space, power requirement. Same recipe, nano plates > iridium.

The storage system is a tab-system like creative mode. Two tabs on top of the inventory screen. Tab 1 is the original inventory, tab 2 is the backpack.
    I personally don't like this idea, suggestions?

Your thoughts? Is it a good idea? Should I refine it a bit more? Since most Tekkit servers have EE disabled (no alchemy bags), and IC2 has no item like this, I thought it'd be nice.

RESPONSES
    [EDIT 11AM 7/9/12]

What's wrong with "right-click to enter inventory"-type backpacks? We actually have teleporters, so what about the following idea:

• The recipe for this backpack includes a teleporter, and possibly iridium plates.
    • Right-clicking a chest with this backpack registers the coordinates of the exact block that was right-clicked with the item (or, for performance, the player).
    • Right-clicking a non-chest with this backpack when a valid inventory resides in the last registered location accesses that inventory (chest).
    • You can remotely put items into the chest for a certain amount of EU.
    • You can remotely get items from the chest for a certain amount of EU that can differ from putting. After all, not every chest is equipped with a teleporter, eh?
    • Special chests could be linked to an energy net and provide with the energy you need to get items, minimizing/lowering the energy needed for that.
    • What happens if you try and teleport nuclear materials or Lapotron crystals? I suppose it depends on the char-
    • If you put the teleporter backpack in itself, it lands in the remote chest.

EU should be drawn from an internal source or a Lappack. One Lappack should store enough energy to be able to deposit, say, the load of two or three mining trips while also powering your tools during them. Discussion: Should you be able to keep a RP2 system in place that lets you pull an energy crystal when needed so that you can recharge the teleporter backpack and put empty crystals in there? My take on this would be: Sure, that's fine because what's it to IC2 how people combine other mods? At some point, the distance will grow so much that energy crystals and the internal storage will not be enough for the teleport!
    Also, for hardcore players: Maybe there's a slight chance that a transfer doesn't succeed? Or will teleport failures result in the creation of different things? Will dirt accidentally turn into glass?

I had this exact idea myself, but binned it because of the IMMENSE griefing potential it has. Such a thing would certainly bypass most area-based protections such as WorldGuard, unless done incredibly well. But there's no way that I know of to elminate the griefing potential of this. But, I've been thinking...
    WORMHOLE-O-MATIC
    Input: 1 teleporter, 1 safe, 1 energy crystal, 5 carbon plates, 1 compressor.
    Output: 1 WORMHOLE-O-MATIC.
    Description:
    Another device using obscure mechanics to send items over long distances. Despite difference in method, a nano-backpack is able to send and receive items stored inside the WORMHOLE-O-MATIC. However, the WORMHOLE-O-MATIC must have an energy crystal charged above 50% - safety precautions will force the WORMHOLE-O-MATIC to quietly deactivate and die - since there is no telling what you may need that extra 50% charge for. Quantum space has many issues, primarily being energy fluctuations and quantum zombies.
    3x9 inventory. Locked to the first person to rightclick on it. Only one link is possible per person at any one time. Nomatter whose backpack you use, you will always access your own inventory due to brainwave scanning and interesting metaphysical properties of wormholes.

-----------------------------------------
    @Alblaka's 'inventory clothes' idea - GENIUS! Head slots can be used to give certain people a higher IQ. Try it, and note the sudden decrease in troll activity on this forum.
    -----------------------------------------
    The underlying issue we face here is if we modify the interface too much, certain mods become incompatible. I don't want that to happen - modpacks like Tekkit would have huge compatibility issues and wouldn't work, and who doesn't like using NEI and TMI to get around those elusive recipes which we adore so much?

Anywho, this idea came to mind out of a lust for more lategame equipment. Items which are pesky to get, but offer interesting and unique benefits.
    [/edit]

• We have forestry backpacks so i don't think we need another bicycle

Since when is the fact that an item is avaliable in another mod an excuse for the IC2 team not to do it?!

I know, IC2 doesnt have such things as pipes or whatsoever, but this idea seems nice, plausible, well tought and educated!

If Albaka and the rest of the team think is worth it, then they will add it!

Well thought OP. :thumbup:

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• What's wrong with "right-click to enter inventory"-type backpacks? We actually have teleporters, so what about the following idea:

• The recipe for this backpack includes a teleporter, and possibly iridium plates.
    • Right-clicking a chest with this backpack registers the coordinates of the exact block that was right-clicked with the item (or, for performance, the player).
    • Right-clicking a non-chest with this backpack when a valid inventory resides in the last registered location accesses that inventory (chest).
    • You can remotely put items into the chest for a certain amount of EU.
    • You can remotely get items from the chest for a certain amount of EU that can differ from putting. After all, not every chest is equipped with a teleporter, eh?
    • Special chests could be linked to an energy net and provide with the energy you need to get items, minimizing/lowering the energy needed for that.
    • What happens if you try and teleport nuclear materials or Lapotron crystals? I suppose it depends on the char-
    • If you put the teleporter backpack in itself, it lands in the remote chest.

EU should be drawn from an internal source or a Lappack. One Lappack should store enough energy to be able to deposit, say, the load of two or three mining trips while also powering your tools during them. Discussion: Should you be able to keep a RP2 system in place that lets you pull an energy crystal when needed so that you can recharge the teleporter backpack and put empty crystals in there? My take on this would be: Sure, that's fine because what's it to IC2 how people combine other mods? At some point, the distance will grow so much that energy crystals and the internal storage will not be enough for the teleport!
    Also, for hardcore players: Maybe there's a slight chance that a transfer doesn't succeed? Or will teleport failures result in the creation of different things? Will dirt accidentally turn into glass?

• It is a valid excuse, but i forgot where was it used in this forum.

Gosh you really are an asshole :D

The point is, we aint gonna install forestry just because of the backpakcs, altough it can be a really useful mod.

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• Gosh you really are an asshole :D

The point is, we aint gonna install forestry just because of the backpakcs, altough it can be a really useful mod.

So the ic2 developers "must" waste time introducing a feature that its already in another mod just to make your life easier?

But then again you can't configure Forestry to disable most stuff in it including world gen ores and ignoring the rest of the stuff... oh wait... /sarcasm

• So the ic2 developers "must" waste time introducing a feature that its already in another mod just to make your life easier?

But then again you can't configure Forestry to disable most stuff in it including world gen ores and ignoring the rest of the stuff... oh wait... /sarcasm

I admire your ability to, whatever people say, find a comeback.

Read my first post, i clearly said that this should only be done if the devs think its worth it, we mustnt forget that we arent paying them after all (only if you donated)

Oh, and installing forestry to have backpacks, its like buying a mac because your anti virus expired... (i am planning on having forestry, but all the industrialist updates sounded nice to me, i often run out of inventory when mining the new awesome ic2 ores and stuff (im too lazy to build a simple chest with pipes) :P

• Official Post

I was recently trying to create a 'workers pants' inventory. Hit a wall when we realized CropMatron and other HandHeld devices don't work properly in 1.3 yet.
    I think designing a whole set of 'inventory clothes' wouldn't be a bad idea.

• I admire your ability to, whatever people say, find a comeback.

Oh, and installing forestry to have backpacks, its like buying a mac because your anti virus expired... (i am planning on having forestry, but all the industrialist updates sounded nice to me, i often run out of inventory when mining the new awesome ic2 ores and stuff (im too lazy to build a simple chest with pipes) :P

You can't place a mac and a pc on the same case and have them work... Exactly the same situation happens with Ic2 and Forestry with minecraft...Oh waittttttt... /Moar sarcasm

Anyway alblaka said something like this could be added so that remark above its just for my own personal entertaiment.

• Backpacks from forestry and the alchemy bag from EE. It would seem like a waste of their time honestly. They're all big mods and play pretty well together and that probably won't change any time soon. The only annoying thing about all the bigger mods is that they don't support power from each others, would be nice if they could add some support for that. Then again there are "plenty" of mods that does it but it's quite a bit of overkill with all the extra machines to convert power. Keeping my eyes on thermal expansion if they ever get that done, then again that won't be much different from the choices we already have.