[OFFICIAL] List of good reactor designs

• Shouldn't I get one set of cells from a completely cold breeder? It's true I won't get multiple sets as in some of the hot breeders, but I don't have to manage it either. I collect the recharged cells at the end of a full cycle. It takes 10,000 pulses to recharge a depleted cell, and that is one full cycle. I don't understand how you would say that the breeder is useless and I would lose too many uranium. When in the breeder configuration, it should produce more than it uses each cycle.

• Shouldn't I get one set of cells from a completely cold breeder? It's true I won't get multiple sets as in some of the hot breeders, but I don't have to manage it either. I collect the recharged cells at the end of a full cycle. It takes 10,000 pulses to recharge a depleted cell, and that is one full cycle. I don't understand how you would say that the breeder is useless and I would lose too many uranium. When in the breeder configuration, it should produce more than it uses each cycle.

Anyway, look at the breeder in the topic (Efficient). He produces 84 charged cells from just a singe uranium cell and very fast!

Don't use cold breeders: you will just waste your time and your resources. Do you need it? Do you need unefficient breeder?

Plus, rule says:
    -Breeders have to manage their heat automatically.
    Your breeder didn't even heating!

• I don't understand how you would say that the breeder is useless and I would lose too many uranium.

The OP's Efficient Breeder charges 84 depleted cells per uranium cell. (84 depleted cells + 1 uranium cell) / 8 depleted cells per uranium = 10.625 uranium. Subtract off one recharged depleted cell to account for the uranium cell spent to run the reactor, and you get 83 uranium cells out of 10.625 uranium, or ~7.9 uranium cells per uranium.

Your reactor charges 5 depleted cells per 3 uranium cells. By the same accounting, that translates to 2 uranium cells per uranium.

That's the "loss", that you turn each piece of uranium into only 2 uranium cells, whereas hot breeder can come very close to the limit of 8 uranium cells per uranium ore. Whether that's *important* or not boils down to a playstyle preference, but the incredible efficiency of the hot breeders gives them a large appeal - a single, badly-managed cycle will still come out ahead in terms of efficiency, will still yield a mountain of uranium cells, and thus will allow you to run the reactor in 'power' (as opposed to 'breeder') mode more often, yielding better average EU output.

• The OP's Efficient Breeder charges 84 depleted cells per uranium cell. (84 depleted cells + 1 uranium cell) / 8 depleted cells per uranium = 10.625 uranium. Subtract off one recharged depleted cell to account for the uranium cell spent to run the reactor, and you get 83 uranium cells out of 10.625 uranium, or ~7.9 uranium cells per uranium.

Your reactor charges 5 depleted cells per 3 uranium cells. By the same accounting, that translates to 2 uranium cells per uranium.

That's the "loss", that you turn each piece of uranium into only 2 uranium cells, whereas hot breeder can come very close to the limit of 8 uranium cells per uranium ore. Whether that's *important* or not boils down to a playstyle preference, but the incredible efficiency of the hot breeders gives them a large appeal - a single, badly-managed cycle will still come out ahead in terms of efficiency, will still yield a mountain of uranium cells, and thus will allow you to run the reactor in 'power' (as opposed to 'breeder') mode more often, yielding better average EU output.

That totally makes sense now. I have never seen it explained quite so well before in the posts I have read, and the wiki doesn't quite do it justice yet. Breeders have always seem to me counter (and a little bit of voodoo) to everything I've learned when running nuclear reactors. I don't think it is possible then to have a semi-efficient 0 chamber breeder (can't get the temp high enough). I will try to see if I can come up with one that works a bit better though. Thanks for the post. I have learned more from this than the 9 previous pages. Thanks.

• Best 0-chamber breeders i can come up with:

21,4 cells / uranium

slightly cheaper but less efficient:

18,5 cells / uranium

haven't tried them ingame yet.

• wile we are at it :
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…ys6rlk4pho62cvx2ko6w3sf4m

have fun with everything less
    except 12 more gold
    25 less Tin
    24 less iron
    12 less Glass
    42 less Rubber
    18 less redstone
    and most important NO diamonds

Change the scheme, alter the mood. Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.

[b][i][u][url=' [url='http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7745']HAYO CORP: Nuclear Power (FREE: Reactor Blueprints)

• Oops. Compared to the design above:
    -121 copper
    +14 tin
    -1 bronze (maybe this is already reflected by the tin and copper, don't know).
    +24 iron
    -10 gold
    -18 rubber
    -6 redstone

And when your design meets my changes you get this. Compared to your design:
    -56 copper
    -1 tin
    -1 bronze (again, maybe this is already reflected by the tin and copper).
    -10 iron

• Nice modifications.
    Logistics Pipes don't fully "support" Breeders right? Because if you try to tell a Supplier type to always keep at least 4 Depleted Isotope Cells inside a reactor, as soon as the first one ticks, the ID changes and the Supplier pipe thinks it needs to send another one... right?

• @above: Better?

@above that: a gate to detect if a charged cell is in the reactor, or if the reactor has an empty spot and with either condition met, shut down the reactor (could do that with another gate, just remember to reverse it, redpipe signal off to redstone signal on). Chassi pipe with an extractor module to extract the charged cells and keep a chest buffered with empty cells which you insert by using the 'has space' signal you already have to activate a redstone engine or the autric(?) gate to pull the empty cells out of the chest and putt them into the reactor.

Edit: Better again , but it still has a lot of free space, there is probably something I could do to improve it more, but for now, this will do.

• hi people!

I want to introduce my Mark I EA++ monster . I assume it isn't perfect still, but I believe you'll enhance it.

• Eu/tick: 240
    • Efficiency: 6
    • Cost: Iron 323, Copper 994, Tin 156, Gold 82

terribly expensive, very effective, powerful. devastates reflectors.

PS: sorry for my English =)

• SSD, thanks.

already understood that I used wrong reflectors, but was offline. Don't mind I'll change them in my reactor? Though you still need to change two reflectors. As I guess efficiency will drop from 6 to 5 otherwise [5 = (6+4)/2].

And nice idea with a corner fan, I'm surprised that it's practically useless )

By the way, this model is somewhat out of classification: it doesn't excess heat, but can't work a whole cycle not loosing components (reflectors). And this is the main point for improvement (to place quads near each other - 4 reflectors per cycle, need to change after whole cycle)

• @above: With that design you choose to use a lot of iron, gold or balence the two. The design in the OP uses a lot of gold and a smaller amount of iron (50 gold and 238 iron). The design you posted uses a lot of iron and little gold, but you could change it a bit like so. Its just a choice you make when building one. Use iron or gold, but whatever you choose, we (the nuclear engineers) made designs for all of those situations.

This one uses about 14 less gold but 38 more iron vs the one in the OP.

• well it's not really a choice considering how rare gold is and how common iron is....and with gold cables in recipes since (103 was it that made this change?) a few updates ago I'd rather spend the iron and save the gold
    the differences between my design and Rick's design are:
    (88 Iron + 30 tin) vs (18 copper + 26 gold + 12 redstone + 36 rubber)
    and to put that into perspective a bit on average in a chunck:
    7.5 gold
    84 iron

mcmz4e aka MaryuZ aka 2.muCh.Pride

• Yes, that is true, but the small change I made makes still sense when you take the 7.5 gold vs 84 iron per chunk in consideration. Mine uses 2 more gold but saves 24 iron. As iron is 11.2 (84/7.5) times more common and I trade 2 gold for 24 iron (24/2=12) it still makes sense to use 2 more gold.

EUREKA (Well, it's not that kind of epic, but I just wanted to use that word.) Just to be clear, I changed this design. (-10 gold, -16 copper, +2 iron and +4 tin.)

• Mark 1 EA breeder,

WARNING! this breeder will operate under the most extreme temperature and will require micro management to get it up to required heat, once on required heat this system is meant to maintain that heat at all times!

in order to achieve this components are used to cool the direct heat from the uranium cell, any excess heat will be directly fed to the hull and cause heating to the hull temperature.

shortly, the internal components DO NOT interact with the reactor hull. so once at target heat. it will maintain this heat until cooled down,

heating config.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…nfy0ujv1vcvqwqav2vkdd5bsw

Neutral heat running.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…ai61hlw8d6vrxe0iy442h049v

Recommended you have the thermometer addon installed to bring temperature of the reactor to target level.
    target level is 84% of max heat to ceep containment chamber intact (no melting your stone :) )

now, bring the reactor up to temperature as you see fit, either with 2 quad uranium cells to boost it quickly to the aprox heat level and continue with an single cell to micro it to target heat.
    once at target heat, switch to breeding set up.

run the reactor and replace isotopes when recharged. (should not take more then 400 ticks for them to reach recharged state)

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

-Breeders have to manage their heat automatically. That means no babysitting. Use heating cells to achieve this.