Miner issue?

• So I had a miner and a pump set up to do some digging, normally this isn't a problem. However I ran into this weird little "issue" when the miner hit running water at level 20 or something, the water was coming all the way from level 64. The miner just stopped and did nothing. The pump didn't work(no idea if it even sucks water, but still, no source block anywhere near it). Anyways to make a long story short I had to dig down and cut off water stream to get the miner working again. I read that the miner is suppose to ignore water and go straight down, my miner did not.

MC 1.2.5 using 1.103. My rig can't play 1.3.2 yet /sigh. Hoping for 1.4 and that "performance" patch, if that even does anything.

• This is my own experience as well, however this is from the wiki

If the miner hits water or lava while tunneling it will stop unless they are cleared.

Alternatively if you place a Pump next to the miner (filled with empty cells) it will extract the liquids for you, storing the lava in the cells for power generation!

therefore I am inclined to believe that it also happens with running water as well

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Flowing water uses an entirely different block ID from source blocks, so why would it stop if it can not count on the source being close enough to grab?

A Rock Raider trained as an Engineer, among other things.